Toms Hardware Cooler reviews Part 1

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
KnightRid

Toms Hardware Cooler reviews Part 1

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/20/ ... index.html

That is a VERY surprising article! This is part 1 with 11 reviewed

45% failure! WOW

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Toms Hardware Cooler reviews Part 1

Post by bubba »

I've been reading through it, and looking though it confirms why I stopped looking at their reviews.

Few things I didn't like (and others from their own forums)

1. They didn't do this in a case. These same coolers will act very differently in a case. Its a more confined space, more heat to contend with.
2. Why was installation such a massive part of the score? your average person will only do it once. Knocking a cooler due to the fact the board has to be removed to install is insane anymore. ANY cooler that is worth a dam to cool a quad core is going to require removing the board.
3. they failed the NV120 due the PREVIOUS model cooler BTF90 (the butterfly one) part quality, not the current one. I haven't seen any issues of folks having metal shavings with the NV120, I have one, no shavings. Don't knock something for what was wrong with the previous model.

and the big WTF

4. Why use a point system? By their point system the Noctua NH12 beat the Thermalright IFX-14 in points but they picked the Thermalright IFX-14 as the top air cooler for round 1. Yes I know the IFX cools better (I still think this is only due to the back plate cooler) and is the winner, but why have a point system that contradicts this :-k
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Is it me or does the MSI Watercool HydroGen look like a knock-off version of an EXOS-AL. :-k
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It's a shame toms hardware were the site to be doing this, any other reputable review site and it would have made a very reliable resource. And probably a bit more interesting read.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

stev wrote:Is it me or does the MSI Watercool HydroGen look like a knock-off version of an EXOS-AL. :-k
is it just me or does it also look like a POS? :axe:
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

Well it seems to me they failed just the ones that didn't work well for them. OK say their NV120 HAS a metal shavings problem, so they fail it. What about some IFX14 that don't have a flat contact surface with the cpu? Or the Ninja plus problem i have read, that its mounting is too weak and sometimes some mount bolts can get unblocked resulting to a heatsink not sitted tight..

The overall points chart just makes no damn sense.
"Παν ΜέτÏ
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

OK, mental note - "NO more toms hardware articles"

:)

Mike

Never knew that site was so disliked - I never look at points, just the actual temps. I do agree with the test being done in a case! It would be a LOT better.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

dkarko wrote:Well it seems to me they failed just the ones that didn't work well for them. OK say their NV120 HAS a metal shavings problem, so they fail it. What about some IFX14 that don't have a flat contact surface with the cpu? Or the Ninja plus problem i have read, that its mounting is too weak and sometimes some mount bolts can get unblocked resulting to a heatsink not sitted tight..

The overall points chart just makes no damn sense.
Yup, but for their NV120 they part of the article they showed the BTF90 for the shavings pic, makes no sense. As for the other stuff you mentioned not sure why they didn't mention it??? the fact they decided to do an 80 cooler round up may have something to do with it. Think they are nuts for doing it in the first place :rolleyes:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

KnightRid wrote:OK, mental note - "NO more toms hardware articles"

:)

Mike

Never knew that site was so disliked - I never look at points, just the actual temps. I do agree with the test being done in a case! It would be a LOT better.
Running cooling system test on a bench are pretty much useless IMHO, it give you no idea of how the cooler will perform in the real world, but it does make it easier on lazy reviewers............ :shock:

I don't read Toms anyways, so I guess it doesn't really make any sort of difference.............. :mrgreen:
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

yeah i can kinda understand them doing it on a test bench. imagine having to take the mobo out of the case and put it back in 80 times :shock:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

martini161 wrote:yeah i can kinda understand them doing it on a test bench. imagine having to take the mobo out of the case and put it back in 80 times :shock:
Been there, done that for a bunch of years, just not 80 times for a single review................ :shock:

But I'd also be willing to bet that 99% of the data was pulled from a data base from past reviews.................. :mrgreen:
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

martini161 wrote:yeah i can kinda understand them doing it on a test bench. imagine having to take the mobo out of the case and put it back in 80 times :shock:

It would be smart to get a case that has access to the back of the board. :)

Bio-Hazard wrote:Been there, done that for a bunch of years, just not 80 times for a single review

Remember what I did to the XClio MOBO tray? I made a cutout window to access the CPU backside mounting hardware and bracket. O:) So, removing the cooler takes a minute rather than 20mins each time.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

stev wrote:
Remember what I did to the XClio MOBO tray? I made a cutout window to access the CPU backside mounting hardware and bracket. O:) So, removing the cooler takes a minute rather than 20mins each time.
Samething that I did back in the day to my Lian-Li............... :mrgreen: . As a matter of fact, I still have the case .......... 8)
Attachments
DSC00116.JPG
DSC00116.JPG (146.21 KiB) Viewed 8015 times
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

nice, im gonna make some cuts in my mobo tray for wires sometime, i might consider doing that too.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

One of these days when I'm not in a hurry and freezing my skinny butt off down in the basement I plan on doing the same to my UFO, except this time around I think O might just cut a nice big round hole and back it up with a 120mm fan to cool the back of the MoBo................ :mrgreen:
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

yeah im sure your will look nicer than mine of course. when i say cut, i mean hack the hell out of it with a dull saws all blade :lol: when you say cut, you mean make a nice, clean dremel cut