The Free After Rebate Ultra 500W Power Supply

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Re: The Free After Rebate Ultra 500W Power Supply

Post by Landon »

No RMA and did not ask for one. As I said I would not disassemble my computer and send the case and do without my computer for a possible long time as I need it for a web site I run. That is asking just too much for just a small plastic door. As I stated they could remove a door off another case and throw that case away and send the door much cheaper than they could send a complete case and my cost would be nil. So I will let a sleeping dog lie and not do business again with Ultra.
FTLOSM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FTLOSM »

Hey all, a while ago I had posted about my unit giving very funky readings and I had talked to Ultra about an RMA to get a new one, but soon after I ended up just sticking the pc in the closet and bought a whole new computer (didn't continue to try the RMA route yet I did never hear back from them via email, just didn't pursue it on phone or followup emails).

I was cleaning out the closet this weekend and decided since my frys invoice said lifetime warranty why not try to get it replaced still (I did do the ultra registration too which supposedly uppps your warranty from 3yrs to lifetime.

BTW their email has changed from what mine said in the instruction book, the new support email is [email protected] (old email in book said [email protected]).

I figured heck this thing still worked except for that powersupply, I am gonna try to get it replaced and turn that pc into a secondary unit my 7 yr old can use for webkinz or something.

I did wonder though based on it's size should I look for a different case? It was too small to fit in the 4 hole lineup of my full sized antec 1080 case , big gap around it, is this power supply actually made to fit into a smaller mid or small sized case?

Anyone else still using their free after rebate ultra 500? Curious if it held up all this time, also curious if they still even have stock of these or will possibly upgrade me to a newer 500 watt unit?

Bill :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

i gave the one I had to a family friend that didn't have enough money to purchase a new about half a year ago. They have been using it daily since then with no problems. I placed it into a couple year old dell and it fit like a champ. So, for a postage stamp that PSU more than paid for itself on my end.
FTLOSM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FTLOSM »

Thanks for the info on that, will continue my RMA process hopefully wont cost me too much and 2nd unit hopefully will be stable, one way to look at it is so far it has cost me nothing (rebate did come thru) so at this point even with an RMA I am doing pretty good $ spent wise so far.

It did puzzle me how the PS was so much smaller than the hole in my case, not sure if it is the case is larger than most (antec 1080) or if I were to order up a smaller mid size tower if it would fit properly in that one?

My antec case's power supply hole measures 6 1/4 inches wide, when this power supply is only 5 3/4 wide, so it looks a bit funky with the gap around it in the case... I don't have alot of experience with cases but would a smaller mid tower fit this power supply better than this full size antec 1080?
FTLOSM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FTLOSM »

Just got off the phone with Ultra, had to call in a credit card number, they said a replacement ps would be shipped today as replacement a $49.99 charge was made on my card and would be fully refunded once the bad supply is recieved back to them, the new ps shipped to me is free (no shipping cost) and my only cost is to ship this bad one back to them.

Guessing it will be about $6-$8 usps with delivery confirm, (that way they can't say they never got my returned one) and I will have a new one much sooner than I thought too.

Hopefully this next one will give good readings and last a while, for $8ish not too bad... I didn't ask if I was getting a new or refurbished, but if it works I am happy either way I guess.

FTLOSM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FTLOSM »

Doorbell DING DONG, new replacement ultra power supply sitting there :)

Appears to be new and is a 500 watt unit like what I sent in but this is all modular

Part ULT33135

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-X-Connect-S ... B000IXNEJS

Found it on amazon with lots of pics and 3 decent reviews, hopefully this one will be stable and will work well for me, I sent back the replacement via priority with delivery confirm cost me $7.50 but at least I can prove it if they say they never got it (for credit on my visa).

Looks pretty cool though, now I need to find a good matx case for it since I tore my old setup all apart and got rid of that huge tall antec 1080 case.