OCZ Titanium vs. Other

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
KPRROK
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

OCZ Titanium vs. Other

Post by KPRROK »

I'm looking to build a new machine and one thing I can't figure out is which RAM to get. I'm not in America, so my choices are pretty limited. No Corsair or Crucial available, OCZ is about the only good brand available here.

I'm trying to decide between the Titanium and the Vista Upgrade kits. Which one is better? I will definitely be using Vista, and the Vista Upgrade kits is about $15 cheaper. Not much, but if it's not that much better, I can find a better way to spend the money.

For reference, I'm not planning to do any overclocking, just stock speeds.

Thanks.

KPRROK
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: OCZ Titanium vs. Other

Post by martini161 »

ive had bad experience with ocz. every single one of the kits ive bought from them has failed. where do you live?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

If you're not going to overclock at all, just get the cheaper RAM! There is very little to no difference between every stick of memory on the market, except overclockability.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I'm currently using OCZ Reaper ram and so far the only issue is that my bios didn't recognize the advertised timings. I just set them manually in the bios and no problems.

I haven't used either one you are considering, so my advice is to check recent reviews.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I've only used OCZ once, and it was the Vista Upgrade kit for a client of mine using Vista. They originally had a ton of problems, all of which were caused by the BIOS not grabbing the correct settings, but that was easily fixed and no problems since.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

KPRROK
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by KPRROK »

I'm living in South Korea right now.

I guess I should explain what I'm planning to use the machine for, that might help. I mainly just do office work for my job (word, excel, etc.), internet, downloading and watching TV shows, playing light games.

I'm hoping to be able to play better games with my new system, such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R., COD4, Bioshock, but not Crysis. I don't do any photo or video editing or anything heavy like that. I have done very minor audio editing (taking a short clip out of an mp3 for a presentation or whatnot).

My intended set-up is: Gigabyte P35 DS3P, C2D E4500 (maybe 8200 if the budget works out), 4GB (2x2GB) RAM, HD 3850, Zalman 600-watt PSU, and the other standard stuff.

Cheers

Kevin
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I use OCZ memory here for all the DDR2 test systems at Legit Reviews and have had zero problems with compatibility. I've had bad kits of memory from every company - corsiar, ocz, kingston, crucial, mushking and no more so from one than another... Get what ever fits your budget.

As for memory kits and BIOS settings... most kits will have to be manually set. Companies usually set the kits to run JEDEC defaults to make sute the board posts. It is then up to you to manually set the timings or to enable EPP or XMP if your board supports these newer features.