AMD Marketing At Work

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Marketing At Work

Post by Apoptosis »

Just got this e-mail from AMD...
Hi Nate –

Six months ago you would have been hard pressed to draw an analogy between a nursery rhyme like Goldilocks and the PC industry, but with a strained economy and an even more competitive PC market, we might as well be sitting in front of three bowls of porridge for how things are playing out.

As a PC buyer, it’s hard to know what to believe. On one side, you’ve got Intel claiming that to improve your computing experience you need a more powerful CPU, and that whether you’re buying new or upgrading, ratcheting up the power of your processor is the ticket to better computing. On the other side, you’ve got Nvidia claiming that the way to get the best experience is by using a more powerful graphics processor, and that buffing up your CPU doesn’t give you much. Who are consumers to believe? Obviously each company has its own bias simply because of their core competencies.

If there’s someone in the middle of all of this whose answers could be considered “just right”, it’s AMD, the only company of the three that has a portfolio of both CPUs and discrete GPUs. AMD’s take: you actually need both for a great computing experience. It’s not an either/or situation, but that doesn’t mean that having that great experience has to cost an arm and a leg. What you want to do with your PC dictates the type of technology needed.

These shifting market dynamics are resulting in a number of often conflicting messages hitting consumers today.
Good to see AMD is alive and kicking... They sent their entire press list this message, which is a ton of writers.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AMD Marketing At Work

Post by DMB2000uk »

Its true what they say, has it had to have taken AMD to be this humbled for them to admit it?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
skier

Post by skier »

i was gonna say both before reading the last paragraph(not last line) 8)

if you ask me, graphics counts slightly more in game, because if you have:crappy CPU & decent GPU, the CPU holds you back, but if you have: decent CPU and awesome GPU, the bottleneck holds elsewhere(RAM in some cases, or non existant)

for example: a P4 Northwood 3.0 and a x850XT with enough RAM=NFS:Prostreet max settings flawlessly ; but with too little RAM=it runs MAX, but doesnt load in between races

and a Athlon XP @2.21 and 1650PRO and enough RAM= doesnt run AT ALL because of the CPU :(

{you dont have to understand the example, i'm venting because my system suxx}
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

By AMD admitting that they're not the best at anything certainly doesn't make them the "just right" company.

This makes me laugh. :lol: