How to remove DRM protection of iTunes m4p songs and wma

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Libran_kevin
Legit User
Legit User

How to remove DRM protection of iTunes m4p songs and wma

Post by Libran_kevin »

You may have purchased many songs from iTunes online store. It will be ok if you just play it on your computers with iTunes, or on your iPod. However, you may need to insert the music in a Power Point presentation, listen it on your mp3 player or set it as background music of your website or other legal personal usage, and you will find you are not allowed.
All the iTunes music files are m4p format, it’s restricted. Is there any way to remove this DRM protection and convert the iTunes songs to widely used mp3 files?
There are some ways that can achieve your goal.
(1) In iTunes, these DRM protected songs can’t be burned to mp3 CD disc, however, you can burn them to audio CD, and then use an audio ripper to rip the tracks from the CD. It may be a waste of CD discs when you have plenty of songs which need to be converted.

(2) Use the program named Noteburner. It has won the award of top DRM removing tool and the third place of audio converter by Top Ten Reviews, please refer to http://audio-converter-software-review. ... views.com/. Noteburner will install a virtual CD burner on your computer, what you need to do is just to set it as default CD burner in iTunes. Open iTunes, operate by Edit --> Preference --> Advanced --> burning, and set Noteburn Virtual CD_RW as your CD burner. If you want to preserve the tags information, including artist, song title, album name, track number etc, you need to check the option “include CD text”. Not only m4p files can be converted, but also audio book in m4p format or AA format can be converted to mp3 in iTunes with Noteburner virtual CD burner.
So you can finish all the jobs as the first method within this software and save many CD discs.

Noteburner can also remove the DRM protection of wma audio files. In this case, you need to use Noteburner with Windows media player, and what you need to do is the same as in iTunes.

(3) Use the program named Notecable. This program can also convert DRM protected iTunes songs and wma audio files. It works as a virtual sound card recording audio streams in background. The advantage of Notecable is that it’s very easy to use. Click “add” button to add the files you need to convert, click “settings” button to choose output format, bitrate, output folder, then click “convert” button to start conversion. If you want convert at a faster speed, you can click settings button and adjust the “convert acceleration” bar.

(4) Use the program named Tunebite. It records the sounds with a real audio device, however, you need to import lame.exe to convert the files to mp3 files.
bmaverick
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: How to remove DRM protection of iTunes m4p songs and wma

Post by bmaverick »

interesting. Option 3 looks like the no-brainer job for me. click and done.

I'm not a big music listener except for a few country tunes. My head pounds too much listening to what's out there today.
My heatware!

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."
legitreviews008
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by legitreviews008 »

yes, bmaverick, option 3 is good and simple 8)

however, sometimes if you want to remove the DRM faster, right? then you may try option 2, the Noteburner.

it seems that this proforms faster than other similar applications.

i have no idea if this is my pc hardware problem... but i recommend you have a try :partyman:
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Looks like it's not pure DRM removal. Instead, it's recording the song to a different medium/format with a loss of quality penalty.

For WMA, it's actually possible to remove certain DRM versions from purchased tracks by using FairUseWM. No recording/re-encoding necessary.

iTunes, I think the hole which enables DRM removal has been plugged.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

This is why I only buy albums from the store and rip them straight to FLAC, no DRM and no Windows Media Player attaching DRMs to the songs YOU ripped...I about went through the roof when I discovered that little treat a few months ago.

Remember to tread lightly in this thread cause I have a feeling one of the mods is watching it like a hawk for potential links to warez (like the aforementioned FairUseWM, I never could get that one to work anyway :roll: )...not to mention removal of DRM is in that legal grey area...
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

8-[

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I would imagine that following along the lines that it's legal to make a backup copy of a DVD you own, making a backup copy of a song you own would also be legal.

Of course their would be other uses of the software that do fall in the Grey area.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

This thread is on thin ice.
Please don't post any requests on how to use the software mentioned above, Otherwise, IMO it's all good.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Thanks for this handy How-To ;) :)
"Who' doing what now?"