Economic Stimulus... any big plans?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Economic Stimulus... any big plans?

Post by martini161 »

dicecca112 wrote:Combined with Graduation money (May 18th), I'll be buying an SSD, probably the OCZ 32GB or something similar to that in price range. Going straight in the laptop, and I'm just gonna laugh as Ubuntu flies
id like to see how fast xubuntu loads on one of those :)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

my gnome uses less memory than xubuntu, I average 150mb of ram, with a VM going its more around 400mb. Still haven't decided on the exact SSD though. the OCZ performs a little less than most. I only need 3GB-5GB for my ubuntu install.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

If I get one (I earned $5000+ last year from work and stocks) I will be putting it my savings account.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

duplo83 wrote:Come on people, this is a rare opportunity to do something fun with 'free' money!
First, my old man comments
I WAS WRONG
This is NOT free money! This will get deducted from your tax refund when you file next year! If you are planning to use this up and then think you are getting a full refund next year, you will NOT!
END OF ME BEING WRONG :finga:
Ok, end of my old man status :P

We might be getting a new fridge with ours, at least thats what we had planned to finish our kitchen off. Maybe it has changed, I will have to check with the boss to see :roll:

Mike

I think 5 TB drives and a nice enclosure would be useful, but the wife jsut doesnt see thing my way :mrgreen:
Last edited by KnightRid on Thu May 08, 2008 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

KnightRid wrote:This is NOT free money! This will get deducted from your tax refund when you file next year! If you are planning to use this up and then think you are getting a full refund next year, you will NOT!

Actually it won't affect next years taxes at all according to the IRS website. I thought the same thing (due to the news) until a buddy showed me the FAQ on the IRS site.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 03,00.html
Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

got me worried for a second... Thanks for clearing that up Bubba!
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Good link Bubba. I had read the same thing after the argument kept popping up at work. I had to see it for myself, and then print it out for the know it alls at work to shush them up.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I have not definite plans for my money. I will probably save most of it to cover the greatly increasing cost of filling my car up :)
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

:drinkers:
Attachments
DavesBike.JPG
DavesBike.JPG (78.11 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

alister wrote:I have not definite plans for my money. I will probably save most of it to cover the greatly increasing cost of filling my car up :)
my boss joked that after the stimulus check arrived, we might be able to buy a tank of gas and swing by McDonald's for dinner.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

depending on what you drive he may not be far off. :lol:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

bubba wrote:
XstollieX wrote:...Stock for now but will be lifted and beefed up as much as the wife will let me. :)
So you're leaving it stock then :finga:
That is entirely possible :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote: Actually it won't affect next years taxes at all according to the IRS website. I thought the same thing (due to the news) until a buddy showed me the FAQ on the IRS site.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 03,00.html
Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return.
THANX bubba! I was reading ALL over the place that it would come out of next years tax return. It WILL kind of -
To summarize, the rebate that will be sent out in May 2008 is a credit to the taxes you’ll owe on 2008 income, but it is a new credit, so you don’t have to “pay it back.”
They made a NEW credit so if you idnt get enough they will even send you the rest of it next tax return time! If you got too much, you will NOT have to pay it back.

That quote is from - http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/20 ... x-returns/

Mike

I am glad someone proved me wrong!!!! I still hate being wrong though :p but in this case, it means more money to try and fix up this house so I am happy :)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
aticotech
Legit User
Legit User

Post by aticotech »

Gonna have some after work fun at my favorite Gentleman's Club. Should get about 6 private sessions. :finga:
Asus Maximus Formula, Zalman9700, Antec 182SE, PC Power/Cooling Silencer 750
Intel [email protected] (8x400): 4GB Corsair Dominatior 8500C5 5-5-5-15 T2@1100Mhz
Telpelin
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Telpelin »

A laptop for school that will open PS7 in under 5 minutes and run it decently...WHILE running other programs! *gasp* what a thought... :)
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

well my plans changed last night o.o

checked my bank account and sure enough i got my stimulus check... it was $300.... half of what i'd expected (chalk it up to misunderstanding the print on the irs page, oh well)
so that sucked hardcore, but i decided what the heck, i'll have a little "government sanctioned party" as my and my buddies called it lol
anyhow so we're getting some pizza bites and cheese sticks into the oven and i notice someone brought in the mail and i have an envelope there...

my grandma sent her grandchildren $500 apiece....... :shock: :yikes:
my jaw seriously dropped.

so yeah i'm paying bills not DOWN, but OFF (yay!) and getting myself a copy of The Orange Box finally!!! maybe put a little $ away to start saving for a new GPU too :)
i <3 my grandma
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Dreamcrusher
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dreamcrusher »

I'm using it to pay off my bankruptcy attorney.

Just want to get it right back into circulation. You know, doing my part.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

stopthekilling77 wrote:well my plans changed last night o.o

checked my bank account and sure enough i got my stimulus check... it was $300.... half of what i'd expected (chalk it up to misunderstanding the print on the irs page, oh well)
so that sucked hardcore, but i decided what the heck, i'll have a little "government sanctioned party" as my and my buddies called it lol
anyhow so we're getting some pizza bites and cheese sticks into the oven and i notice someone brought in the mail and i have an envelope there...

my grandma sent her grandchildren $500 apiece....... :shock: :yikes:
my jaw seriously dropped.

so yeah i'm paying bills not DOWN, but OFF (yay!) and getting myself a copy of The Orange Box finally!!! maybe put a little $ away to start saving for a new GPU too :)
i <3 my grandma
That's some great news :P

You ever find out if you can properly take your taekwondo lessons next time they do a bunch?

Now you'll finally have some expendable income :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

stopthekilling77 wrote:well my plans changed last night o.o

so that sucked hardcore
How come it was only $300?
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Did you claim yourself as a dependent maybe?
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit