DVD combo: LiteOn or Samsung?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Foxtrot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

DVD combo: LiteOn or Samsung?

Post by Foxtrot »

Which brand to choose for a SATA DVD writer, models are

Lite-On LH-20A1S
Samsung SH-S203D
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: DVD combo: LiteOn or Samsung?

Post by DaIceMan »

Samsung, hands down. I have 3 of the IDE drives that I started using after NEC went to Sony chips with no problems. I've also recommended a dozen or so of the Sammie SATA drives to clients and friends and none of them have had any problems either.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

allenpan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by allenpan »

i will never ever take samsung frive TSSTP or something liek that very unreliable...i mean after 500+ dvd read/writes, always go for nec/sony or pioneer
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I've used LiteOn for awhile and never had any problems TBH but Samsung is a good brand as well. If you're really into high quality sound then you may want to do some research over at Club CD Freaks, they've got some great info on why some drives are better than others for that audiophile sound but if you only plan to game and maybe rip a few songs to mp3 then you can't go wrong with either of the aforementioned drives.
:drinkers:
JohnnyVic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JohnnyVic »

I have that LiteOn drive and it has worked fine on DVD and DVD DL burning (only one coaster in about 10 - the drive/software just locked up and I had to reboot). But why not get a drive with lightscribe capability? The Samsung S203N and 203S models both have that feature for only about $5 more. They both have good reviews at NCIX. I couldn't even find the Samsung model you were looking at.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... 15#Samsung
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

I don't think you can go wrong with either model. I personally have a Lite-On drive and I have never had any issues with it.
"Who' doing what now?"