Mario Kart for Wii Fact Sheet Released

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Digital Puppy

Mario Kart for Wii Fact Sheet Released

Post by Digital Puppy »

Mario Kart® Wii

Format: Wii™
Launch Date: 04/27/08
ESRB: E (Everyone): Comic Mischief
Game Type: Kart Racing
Accessories: Wii Wheel™ (included)
Players: 1-4 locally or up to 12 on Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection with up to 2 players locally
Developer: Nintendo
KEY INFORMATION
The worldwide race is on with a whole new set of tricks, tracks and ways to play.

* The Wii Wheel transforms the Wii Remote™ controller into a steering wheel that feels natural in anyone's hands, while the Wii Remote and Nunchuk™ controller offer a classic control style for the Mario Kart veteran. In either configuration, players can perform speed-boosting tricks with a shake of the Wii Remote.
* Players can race as their favorite Nintendo character, or even as themselves! Mario Kart Wii lets players race with their personalized Mii™ characters. And racers will see other Mii characters they have created cheering from the sidelines on some race courses.
* Players can compete with up to three friends in their living room. Or challenge up to 11 opponents via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection in the biggest Mario Kart race yet. All tracks and modes of play are available via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, and players can visit the Mario Kart Channel to compete in tournaments, check rankings, see when their friends are playing and download ghost data.
* Cruise new tracks and arenas or tour classic courses from Super Mario Kart™, Mario Kart® 64, Mario Kart®: Super Circuit™, Mario Kart®: Double Dash!!™ and Mario Kart® DS. Tired of riding on four wheels? Bust out one of the new motorbikes for special tricks and techniques.

Game storyline: Drawing on courses and battle arenas from every game in the series – not to mention tons of new ones – the true king of the Mushroom Kingdom racing circuits will finally be crowned.

How to progress through the game: Place first in Grand Prix circuits or clear skill-based missions to open up increasingly difficult and thrilling circuits. Players can have multiplayer races on any open courses or battle in arenas.

Characters: Nintendo favorites Mario™, Luigi™, Peach™, Yoshi®, Donkey Kong®, Wario™, Bowser™ and Toad™, plus a host of new faces-including your own! Get into the game and put your Mii™ character behind the wheel.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Whether racing around an obstacle-filled track or battling in an arena, drifting and tossing items are the keys to Mario Kart success. Players can shake the Wii Remote while launching off a ramp to pull off a trick that will temporarily boost their speed. When riding a bike, players can gain additional speed by flicking the Wii Remote up and popping a wheelie.

Control: Mario Kart Wii is compatible with four different control schemes, so players can customize how they want to play:

* Wii Remote Controller (with or without Wii Wheel): Steer by tilting the Wii Remote left and right. Or snap the Wii Remote into the Wii Wheel to transform it into a steering wheel for an intuitive, motion-based control scheme.
* Nunchuk Controller: Steer with the Control Stick on the Nunchuk and use the Wii Remote to accelerate, perform tricks and drift.
* Classic Controller: Mario Kart veterans can let their thumbs do the driving with the Classic Controller. However, players cannot perform certain moves with this control scheme.
* Nintendo GameCube™ Controller: Experienced Mario Kart fans may also enjoy this familiar scheme, although some maneuvers cannot be performed.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection: There are two options for races and battles over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection: up to 12 people via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection or up to 10 people via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection with two people playing locally.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Digital Puppy

Re: Mario Kart for Wii Fact Sheet Released

Post by Digital Puppy »

Well, we got it this past weekend and the family pretty much love this game. I picked up an extra wheel, but really, you don't even need that. You can use the Wiimote and the 'chucks just fine. We have played with four players already and will eventually go on-line to play others.

My boys played it for hours working on power-slides and even a bit of teamwork. It was pretty cool watching them do their thing.

Just wanted to give you the initial feedback.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Picked this up last friday (I love having gift cards lying around :) ) and I think the wheel at $15 by itself is a TOTAL ripoff! Even at 9.99 it is still overpriced for a simple piece of plastic!

Gameplay is what you would expect if you ever played any of the other MarioKart games. It still gets frustratin as you can be leading, then get hammered by 4 powerups from computer players and end up dead last, but it is a fun game. Motorcycles seem a bit hard to control at first, but I figure once I play it more I will get the hang of it.

If you have the spare $50 lying around I would say to grab this one as you dont need friend codes to play online!

I wish the wheel would be more like Logitechs wheels with force feedback and a stationary position. I find it difficult to judge how far to turn the wheel to get around a tight corner just waving a wheel in the air ;)

Mike

I cant wait for Lego Inidana Jones!!! Last $50 game I will get till I can snag more gift cards for b-days, xmas, sweepstakes, etc. They REALLY need to lower those $50 games to a more reasonable price for the Wii.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Picked up my copy of Mario Kart Wii on launch day as well... I didn't think that the Wii Wheel would make much of a difference, but it actually had an affect on my driving skills... I ended up picking up a 2nd Wii Wheel ($8.99 at Walmart for a chunk of plastic, sucks, but it was worth it). For myself, I guess it felt more "real" and I could be more subtle with my "driving" the Wii Remote WITH the wheel as opposed to without it....

In the end though, it's Mario Kart. You know the drill by now, you either love it or hate it. 8)
"Who' doing what now?"
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I loved the first mario kart on SNES, then the n64 version was ok, but felt way different. Didn't particularly like the gamecube version. I don't know if I would like the Wii version. I'll try it if I get the chance to though.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit