Q6600 running temp overclocked

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
danno
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Q6600 running temp overclocked

Post by danno »

Hi

I just started running a Q6600 on an ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe.

The second core consistently runs about 5 degrees hotter than the other three that are nearly the same as each other.

Also, I am only able to overclock to about 2.9 before the system resets.

Any help would be great.

thanks
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Q6600 running temp overclocked

Post by DMB2000uk »

What have you done so far in your overclocking? What is it currently set at?

Have you tried adding voltage to all of the likely culprits?

Have you read graysky's overclocking guide?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

The IHS (Integrated heat spreaders) on the q6600 aren't very flat, that accounts for the difference in core temps. I run mine OC to 3.2 on a P5KC Asus board and the temps run 7-9C cooler on cores 2 and 3 under a decent water setup.

I took a laser level and set it for a horizontal line and ran it across the IHS and you can see where it's not level. You can run a razer blade across the IHS ahd hold it up with a light in the background and see how level it is.

With that small a core temp difference I wouldn't worry about it though.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Methious wrote:I took a laser level and set it for a horizontal line and ran it across the IHS and you can see where it's not level. You can run a razer blade across the IHS ahd hold it up with a light in the background and see how level it is.
great idea! i'll have to remember that one
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
tormentor
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by tormentor »

Methious wrote:The IHS (Integrated heat spreaders) on the q6600 aren't very flat, that accounts for the difference in core temps. I run mine OC to 3.2 on a P5KC Asus board and the temps run 7-9C cooler on cores 2 and 3 under a decent water setup.

I took a laser level and set it for a horizontal line and ran it across the IHS and you can see where it's not level. You can run a razer blade across the IHS ahd hold it up with a light in the background and see how level it is.

With that small a core temp difference I wouldn't worry about it though.
is this only a q6600 problem or is it a general problem? i dont think that IHS are anydifferent between cpu models, so how could that happen that the problem is only in q6600 types?
danno
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by danno »

Thanks for the information. I had not seen the post on overclocking. It seems like I need to add some voltage. I will let you know what I find out.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

tormentor wrote: is this only a q6600 problem or is it a general problem? i dont think that IHS are anydifferent between cpu models, so how could that happen that the problem is only in q6600 types?
Lately it seems to be a general problem. Any cpu with multiple cores that isn't flat will have a variance in temp from one core to the others. I have an E6850 that reads one core at 3c higher than the other. Its enough for me to notice, but not enough for me to take any action.

Even thought it voids your warranty, you see more and more people choosing to "lap" their cpus.