apartment was robbed!!

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

apartment was robbed!!

Post by NAiLs »

so yeah, I'm Typing this from my iphone, but some bitches robbed my apartment! It happened around 6pm when me and my roommate left to go to the mall. Someone was watching us! We left at 6, and my brother said my xbox live account and AIM signed off around 6pm. They saw us leave. Broad freaking daylight, downtown Milwaukee! How the hell did no one see anything? Three of my neighbors were home!

They ripped off about $15,000 worth of ****. My xbox, ps3, wii, laptop, LCD tv 42", my roommate LCD tv, laptop, xbox, etc. My apartment is trashed! Cops couldn't help us out much because there are zero fingerprints. Just gloves. They knew what they were doing.

Our fault for leaving a window cracked, but everyone around here does. Very safe area of town. Cops said they hardly get calls down here. No insurance hurts us the most. We only recent briefly talked about it.

Weird thing. Our locks were recently changed while we were at work, on Thursday. New locks to freshen up the area.

I'm so pissed and don't know what to do. They didnt take my pc, but I have no monitor.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
KnightRid

Re: apartment was robbed!!

Post by KnightRid »

:( sorry to hear!

#1 thing renters do not have and should - INSURANCE - I know, a bit too late, but hopefully other renters on here will read this and go out MONDAY to get renters insurance.

I really dont think there is a thing you can do unless the police catch them. You could talk to your landlord and see if they have any type of insurance, but I doubt it. As the tenant your belongings are your responsibility :(

Mike

This happened to me when my daughters mother left almost 15 years ago. She came back, BROKE IN, took everything I had and the cops couldnt do ANYTHING about it - what good are the cops if they cant help when you need it. I didnt have renters insurance and had to replace everything myself. I know what you are going through!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Boy that sucks, sorry to hear of your bad luck.................. :cry:

But you would think that someone would have seen something at that time of day.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

man that really blows. OH MAN!!! Its one of those things where you are just like, if i could only wake up and it would all be back and nothing happened. This hits close to me because i have quite a bit of stuff and worry about it daily. This is the reason i try to get 2nd floor when looking for apts, if i can help it. Also the very reason, FROM EXPERIENCE, I have invested in a surveillance system. I am actually going to have to bump my renters insurance up for my new TV and radio equipment.

But damn man, my cars were broken into several times, but nothing matching this. :goodman:
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Weird thing. Our locks were recently changed while we were at work, on Thursday. New locks to freshen up the area.

That would make me suspious! Did your landlord do that? Did he tell you in advance? Why now? ( problems in the building?)
I'f he used a locksmith, who was it?
The truth is you probably/most likely won't find your stuff, the hard part is getting over the feeling of being invaded/distrusting people around.
skier

Post by skier »

T-Shirt wrote:Weird thing. Our locks were recently changed while we were at work, on Thursday. New locks to freshen up the area.

That would make me suspious! Did your landlord do that? Did he tell you in advance? Why now? ( problems in the building?)
The truth is you probably/most likely won't find your stuff, the hard part is getting over the feeling of being invaded/distrusting people around.
Question all and trust none!!!!!
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

T-Shirt wrote:Weird thing. Our locks were recently changed while we were at work, on Thursday. New locks to freshen up the area.

yeah, they only wanted to replace old woren out locks. Same keys. They could have easily tipped someone off. Someone knew us and what we had... Plain and simple.

I need a monitor now. Any recommendations?

Also, any way that I can track any of my stuff?
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

That just really makes me mad :evil: I had that happen to me. I didn't have that much in loss, but the feeling is the same. They just kicked in my door, broke the door jam and took most of my stuff. I moved out a week later. Come to find out that they did it again a month later. Good thing I moved. I went around thinking who did this for about 6 months. I hope that all will be ok and nobody was hurt. Good luck
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

something like this was happening to me a lot awhile ago (but not nearly as bad) some punk was stealing the gas i had in my garage for my garden tools. so one day, i made sure i was very obvious about going out and filling up like 5 gas containers, then put them in my garage and left it open over night. i sat hidden right by the gas tanks with my Dessert eagle, i had it chambered for a .50, and it was loaded and cocked. then i waited. and then what do you know, around one some teenager comes in and starts stealing my gas. so i filp on the light and point the gun at him (i was about 4or 5 feet away)and just like any logical person would do when you have one of these pointed at your face:
he droped the gas, soiled himself, and got on the ground with his hands behind his head. i didnt even have to say anything. the cops put him away for awhile but i never did get my gas back :evil: doesnt really compare to what hapened to you though
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

martini161 wrote:something like this was happening to me a lot awhile ago (but not nearly as bad) some punk was stealing the gas i had in my garage for my garden tools. so one day, i made sure i was very obvious about going out and filling up like 5 gas containers, then put them in my garage and left it open over night. i sat hidden right by the gas tanks with my Dessert eagle, i had it chambered for a .50, and it was loaded and cocked. then i waited. and then what do you know, around one some teenager comes in and starts stealing my gas. so i filp on the light and point the gun at him (i was about 4or 5 feet away)and just like any logical person would do when you have one of these pointed at your face:
he droped the gas, soiled himself, and got on the ground with his hands behind his head. i didnt even have to say anything. the cops put him away for awhile but i never did get my gas back :evil: doesnt really compare to what hapened to you though
That made me smile, no lies. I REALLY want a desert eagle, but that thing would kick my ass. I need to fire some other smaller arms first, then get a real gun like a desert eagle.

I went out and bought a 22" Samsung monitor from Best Buy... I was desperate. I needed to get online to change my passwords and stuff so some punk can't get at them. The colors are amazing w/ 2ms response time. Not the resolution I want (I want1920x1200, this is 1680x1050) but it'll do for now... plus I have a 30 day money back guarantee if I find something better. $270 is worth the rest of my money. I can replace everything I had no problem, it's just that I was looking to save that money for other things like a smaller car or a house. :(
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

That really sucks. No matter how much you lose, there is always a feeling of helplessness.

I had my car broken into when I was at college. They took my CD player, and ever CD I owned. It wasn't a whole lot of CDs, and just a $150 Aiwa CD player, but it was still a big deal for me. Cops pretty much told us that there was nothing they could do. About a dozen cars got broken into that day. It was the morning before spring break, and some poor guy had already loaded all of his electronics into his car. He lost about $15,000 worth of equipment.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Did you see my post about How to Install A Home Security System ? I'm just trying to make you feel better :)
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

vbironchef wrote:Did you see my post about How to Install A Home Security System ? I'm just trying to make you feel better :)
Nope, I'll dig for it though. :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Wow, that really sucks man.

I chanced it without insurance on my uni place when i was there, but i was the attic room of the house so i figured the first two floors would have been cleaned out before they tried to get to my room.

Get insurance if you haven't already, they might be stupid enough to try your place (or around your place) again.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Once you buy all of your new stuff, DO NOT leave all of the boxes out in the open for the garbage trucks. Unless, of course, you want them to rob you again. This always makes me wonder when I drive down the road and see a dell box, or a box for a samsung 50" TV sitting on the curb. I just want to find out if they get robbed some day.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

like everyone has said that sucks ! just because they knew what they were doing doesnt make them smart though, might want to do some searches on the local craigslist listings, ebay, pay the nearest pawnbrokers a visit.

cheers

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I'm insured as of the 27th, thank god! I cry when I know how cheap it is ($12.33/mo. for me). I did buy a new TV, but I will not throw the box outside. They're remodeling the tower apartments right now, and have a big dumpster outside. My roommate and I will probably toss the cardboard in there. We had to take the main portion off the box to fit in my car, so all that's left is the bottom.

We've been watching local craigslist postings and haven't seen anything yet. We've been watching all the surrounding areas too. EBay is a big one to watch for sure.

I'm thinking about buying 2x 500GB (or 750GB's?) HDD's and hook them up to some computer hardware at my parents house, as a means of backing my stuff up. That way, if they decide to rip my crap off again, I have a full back-up of everything, not just some things.

My roommate and I are looking to get a new place as soon as we can find someone to take over our lease. We have until October on this lease and we really don't want to putz around with it much longer. I'm surprised our complex isn't being more helpful. :(
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

One thing about the insurance, be sure to get specific riders for each piece of electronics gear..basic policies often don't cover some types of contents (electronics,jewelry, etc.) shouldn't be more than a few dollars more to have that coverage in writing.
It's also worth paying the extra fee for "Full replacement coverage".....insurance co's often consider electronics "used" as soon as you bring them home, and pay as little as 50% unless specifically listed as full replacement value items.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Also record serial #s and etch your drivers liecense # on the items (police dept. can give you details, stickers, etc.)
much better chance of recovery and PROSECUTION of the perps, if they are caught.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

hey Nails,

Nightblood was over last Friday and told me about what happened to you.. my stomach literally dropped. I hate Milwaukee. I've had a car stolen and two other cars broken into. the last time they tried to break in was at a Best Buy parking lot Mid-afternoon. They pulled a van up next to my car and busted the window.. i walked out while they were in the act. I saw a group of hood rats standing by my window. As soon as they saw me they jumped in the van and took off. they didnt get anything and i followed the van and got the plate number for the police and the police still didnt do ****. at least you still have your computer.

oh while i am talking to you.. what the MOTD on ventrillo? I see it in your comments but for some reason I dont get a pop up anymore when I log in and I cant find an option to read it. Is it donation time again? I can probally get you a $20 spot this time around.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED