Intel Unveils Solid-State Drives - Z-P230 PATA

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel Unveils Solid-State Drives - Z-P230 PATA

Post by Apoptosis »

I was just looking around the Intel site and I just saw that they have Intel Solid State Drives now shown! Looks like they have 4GB and 8GB versions right now and they have an IDE system interface. The Intel Z-P230 PATA Solid-State Drive is the only one listed, but hey it's a start. The product brief and datasheet are available for those wanting more information.

The Intel® Z-P230 PATA Solid-State Drive (SSD) is an innovative storage solution for value mobile and desktop systems such as netbooks and nettops.

Four times smaller and lighter than a traditional 1.8" hard disk drive, and with the same industry-standard PATA (IDE) connector, the Intel® Z-P230 PATA SSD is designed to replace traditional hard disk drives in netbook and nettop systems.

The solid-state design means no moving parts, providing ruggedness that's perfect for mobile designs. And the Intel Z-P230 SSD's low power requirements translate to longer battery life.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel Unveils Netbook, Z-P230 - Nettop Solid-State Drives

Post by Apoptosis »

Did a little more digging and the read throughput is 35MB/s while the write throughput peaks at 7MB/s.

I also found a higher resolution image here:

The gonz
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Intel Unveils Solid-State Drives - Z-P230 PATA

Post by The gonz »

Ouch @ write output! Not even average but PEAK output is 7MB/s!

I suppose this is perfectly acceptable for mobiles devices. I can only hope this has a trickle effect on other SSDs as well. Time will tell.
largon
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by largon »

I think these are for ultraportable devices rather than normal laptops - and, if I'm not mistaken, these chips have a PATA interface instead of FLASH.
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

maybe with Intel in the market, we will get a very cheap SSD soon.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

USB Flash drives are just as "fast" as that...