new card for kids computer

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

new card for kids computer

Post by pmanipole »

just ordered one of these for the boys computer.

ASUS EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M RT for $130 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121224

It is going into a 3ghz HP computer that has 2 gig of memory and i am replacing the powersupply with a enermax 475w that i have laying around. it is only 475w but it has excellent rails and used to run a 6800gt sli rig so i know it can handle it. i have made it wireless with a n network that gets around 270mb connection everywhere in the house so it wont matter where i put it. i do have to modify the psu holes but that is what a dremal is for.

i will post some further info when i get everything installed and run some benchmarks and games. it will not be a killer machine but it should be great for them. it also gets them off of my pc so i can log in more time on WIC.
largon
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: new card for kids computer

Post by largon »

I reckon 8800GT should be... plenty for the games this rig will be used for. Simply awesome value for $130...
I just can't believe I paid around $400 (270€) for one just 6 months ago...
8-[
MakubeX
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by MakubeX »

Agree, it's an awesome card for the price. I wish I had a cool gaming PC when I was a kid, but then again my dad isn't computer savvy. :P

Can't wait to see some pics. :)
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

got everything installed and up and running. i took some pics and will post them tonight. i must say this card is big. i was really surprised on the size of the cooler. everything fired up the first time which is always a good feeling. the card is pretty quiet. it is in the den and when playing COH you can not hear it from about 5 feet away. the monitor that is being used is only a cheapo 1280*1024 res lcd so i am going to be looking for a 19" WS.

i am really thinking of switching this card out with the one in my pc(evga 8800 gts 640mb). this card has a few more bells and whistles and power then that one. i water cool my pc so i should be able to squeze out a little more power but it will be a few days before i make a desicion as the AC up stairs has crapped the bed and it is 90' up there during the day.
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

pmanipole wrote: i am really thinking of switching this card out with the one in my pc(evga 8800 gts 640mb). this card has a few more bells and whistles and power then that one. i water cool my pc so i should be able to squeze out a little more power but it will be a few days before i make a desicion as the AC up stairs has crapped the bed and it is 90' up there during the day.
I built the boy (actually gave him my old) E6600/Badaxe2 rig and was going to keep my old GTS 640 but I liked the GT so much that he now has the GTS.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

the price has gone back up. i should of ordered it last week. still might change out the cards. we have been playing assians creed on the card and it rocks. that is a awesome game. now i just need to put the card in my main pc with the 22" widescreen to really make it shine.