When is AMD going to come around and be back on top?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
DemonicDerek
Legit User
Legit User

When is AMD going to come around and be back on top?

Post by DemonicDerek »

I am just wondering if anyone knows when or estimatingly could possibly know when AMD/ATI will be back on top as the better of either Video Card making or Processor making...

Something could probably easily help them with the video card industry is that they could get their drivers done quicker and better! I mean the only reason I like Nvidia for surely right now is due to the fact that their drivers are good at launch and only get better. Whereas ATI really sucks at this right now....

In the processor market I have no clue as to what could bring AMD back on top...
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When is AMD going to come around and be back on top?

Post by DMB2000uk »

If Intel rests on their laurels, AMD could catch back up in the CPU arena.

As for GPUs, if the rumours of the ATI 4780 are true, then they will be on top for a short while. But Nvidia are bound to have an answer to that pretty soon after.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The ATI R700 looks like it will be interesting and then you of course have the Fusion processor... that is where AMD might be able to do something. The move to 6 or 8 cores doesn't seem like it will be any different than the move from two to three to four.
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

Personally I do not think its that bad for AMD they are back to about where they stated but they have a lot more market share then they did before also there are no other CPU competitors only Intel and AMD and for vale and performance AMD and Intel are about the same if not equel in some respects at least in my eyes. Ceartainly Intel has the top CPU performance right now but can you reallt tell the difference with normal use between a Intel Q6600 and say Phenom 9500 in Windows I cant they seem close to the same and about the same price depending on the MB. As new versions come and go I expect we will see Intel and AMD trade places as number one a few more times before its all said and done. But by then we will all be gone and retired and living in the Philipens Drinking a Red Horse and Smakin Dat AXX. LOL. I would not worry to much I use both and have used both for years and still use most AMD for gaming and internet.
Just look for the best bang for the buck and I think it was kostly AMD before but maybe going more intel but who knows what will happen in 6 to 12 months.
One-liner about business
Producing a system from a specification is like walking on water; it's easier if it's frozen.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

I think AMD is focusing on their video card for the RV700 series which is said to have outperforms the GT200 series (read on fudzilla), but I think once the Deneb comes rolling out (45nm cpus) then AMD might have a chance to get back into the game. Also they have the Puma for the notebook lineup so it should get interesting. AMD also has the advantage of acquiring both Physx and Havoc if they wanted to I think, which will put them at the top of the graphics industry.
500w Fortron Blue Storm - DFI NF4-D (SLI & SATAII modded) - Opteron 165 @ 290x9 1.35v - 1 GB OCZ Value VX 3200 2-3-3-8 @ 230mhz - 2x 80gb Seagate SATA on Raid 0 - eVGA 8800GTS
Athlonite
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Athlonite »

i'll tell ya when amd will catch up and pass intel and thats when amd chips compete at the exact same frequency as intels cpu's and not befor
Asus Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8320 @ 3700MHz NB/HT @ 2600MHZ
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 C9
1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 9550MHz core 1250MHz mem
1x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212S SATA
2x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm raid0
1x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm storage
1x WD2500AAJS 8MB cache 7200rpm storage
Thermolab Baram 1 x 120mm CM R4 90cfm 2000rpm 1x SilverStone 120mm AP 1500rpm 37.5cfm
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W PSU Full Modular
SilverStone RaVeN RV02B-W
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Athlonite wrote:i'll tell ya when amd will catch up and pass intel and thats when amd chips compete at the exact same frequency as intels cpu's and not befor
Actually that's not true, even if AMD had processors with frequencies similar to those of Intels, Intel would still have the better chip (as far as average users/gamers are concerned) because of a difference in the chip architectures. Unfortunately, AMD still has a really long way to come :(