Don't fence me in.....

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Don't fence me in.....

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

The story title really caught my eye...
Wirelessly networking cows
Posted by Roland Piquepaille @ 9:58 am

Categories: Wireless & Telecom, Science & Nature, Engineering & Innovation

U.S. researchers have developed a Walkman-like headset for cows. This device enables them to ‘whisper wireless commands to cows to control their movements across a landscape — and even remotely gather them into a corral.’ In fact, it could help farmers to maintain cows behind virtual fences. According to the researchers, ‘the circuit board contains a processor, data storage, WiFi for remote communication, audio and electrical stimulation electronics, a GPS receiver, and sensors such as magnetometers and accelerometers that record the body orientation and configuration of the animal.’ While the first virtual fencing system was patented in 1973 (for domestic dogs!), commercial virtual livestock control systems still do not exist today. But read more…
http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=946&tag=nl.e539

Great, now the terrorists have another weapon. They can hack in and cause stampedes all over the world. :lol:
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Don't fence me in.....

Post by vicaphit »

unfaithfulsfan wrote:sensors such as magnetometers and accelerometers that record the body orientation and configuration of the animal
Now they can tell the exact moment that the cow was tipped over, and how fast it fell.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Can the cow send a distress email "I've fallen and I can't get up"? ....couldn't resist :)
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

So we finally have the answer to "Where's the Beef?"
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

umm, do you think the person who came up with this ever herd (yay for bad puns!) of a dog? just put a webcam on it, and you know where they are
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

wow thats really impressive.
Q6600 Core 2 quad @ 3.0Ghz
2gb of patriot ram reduced latency.
500GB 7200 rpm Seagate (baracuda)
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
meeleend
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by meeleend »

unfaithfulsfan wrote:The story title really caught my eye...
Wirelessly networking cows
Posted by Roland Piquepaille @ 9:58 am

Categories: Wireless & Telecom, Science & Nature, Engineering & Innovation

U.S. researchers have developed a Walkman-like headset for cows. This device enables them to ‘whisper wireless commands to cows to control their movements across a landscape — and even remotely gather them into a corral.’ In fact, it could help farmers to maintain cows behind virtual fences. According to the researchers, ‘the circuit board contains a processor, data storage, WiFi for remote communication, audio and electrical stimulation electronics, a GPS receiver, and sensors such as magnetometers and accelerometers that record the body orientation and configuration of the animal.’ While the first virtual fencing system was patented in 1973 (for domestic dogs!), commercial virtual livestock control systems still do not exist today. But read more…
http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=946&tag=nl.e539

Great, now the terrorists have another weapon. They can hack in and cause stampedes all over the world. :lol:

Oh..............its fantastic idea. =D>