CMOS anomaly

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

CMOS anomaly

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

What would cause CMOS settings to spontaneously reset to defaults? Customer brought machine in saying it was doing the same thing it did 8 months ago when the tech I replaced changed the CMOS battery.

I reset BIOS and so far, everything is fine. I even unplugged the computer for about an hour to try to duplicate the problem and so far, nothing has happened. It boots fine.

Thanks,
Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: CMOS anomaly

Post by martini161 »

defective battery?
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

that's the way I was leaning, too, but so far I can't duplicate the error. If someting doesn't happen with it soon, I'll just slap another battery in it and test it that way. It's an older P4 machine so I don't know if the board's getting squirrelly or not. For the time being I'll just keep cycling the power mixed with unplugging for an hour.

Thanks,
Jack
~Bob Dylan
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I've seen a couple come out of the box and CMOS wouldn't hold. Buddy has an Oscilloscope and we tracked it down to (on 3 boards) the CMOS battery not being able to send power to the chip.

Battery would be fine, power just wasn't getting through. Faulty battery can do it, dead battery can but that's only when it's unplugged or the power goes off. Otherwise wall power will maintain CMOS (been a long time but I'm thinking it was the +5vSB powering it).

I've seen grounding the battery solder points do it even when their plugged in.

Oh and GL with the Sugar level/Pain thing sorry to hear about that kinda suxxor.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I put a new battery in as the work is under warranty. Hopefully it'll correct the problem. I couldn't ever duplicate the error. I guess we'll see if a new board is in their future.

Thanks. I was just telling Dan that I've been Diabetic since my mid-teens and it's just starting to catch up with me. Too many 16-18 hours shifts in restaurant management and waayyy too many all nighters when I lived in New Orleans. :partyman: :partyman:

Got a great team of Drs but it's just taking them some time to get me straightened out. The drugs, although they really do help, are just really fogging me up. My boss came in this afternoon and said, "Dude, you look wasted!" :rolleyes:

Thanks again!
Jack
~Bob Dylan