Last motherboard for DDR PC3200 memory?

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
drov
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Last motherboard for DDR PC3200 memory?

Post by drov »

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

What's the last motherboard series for this memory: DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 ?

Was it socket 939?

I've been out of the "build from scratch loop" for a few years and recently ordered memory for an Emachine with a Sempron 3300 with a socket 754 FIC K8MC51G motherboard. I broke a pin on the processor AFTER I ordered 2 gigs of memory from Crucial. I'll keep the memory if I could build a respectable - maybe upgradable - system or something that "can" use the memory. I just don't know when AMD stopped supporting that memory in their boards.

Thanks for any help,

drov
ratNukit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Last motherboard for DDR PC3200 memory?

Post by ratNukit »

Yeah the last AMd Boad you can get is a socket 939, but that is not very upgradable, the bet to buy for that would be a 4000+ max. maybe you can find some dual cores but here in germany where I live the highest you can still buy is the 64 4000+ for a socket 939 board. I'm not so sure about the Intel side of this.
drov
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by drov »

Thank You for the reply. I think I'll look around online for the processor you mentioned and a suitable motherboard and make something out of it for the fun of it of it. I just didn't want to be bothered with a restocking fee for the memory from Crucial. I'm not into gaming but was hoping to build a system where I could store movie and audio files and network at home. Thanks again for the response.

Drov
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Unless buying used parts, if the only thing holding you back is DDR memory then it would be cheaper to build a new system with DDR2. You can get some really good hardware on the cheap right now, and can sell off your DDR as it costs more than DDR2 anyway.

Finding a socket939 chip retail will be pricey... this was the only one Newegg has and compared to Intel's chips it isn't even worth that $40. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103037
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water