Ultraportable Notebooks

A place to talk about all things mobile
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Ultraportable Notebooks

Post by Alathald »

Has anyone ever heard of the Sager brand? I've been looking for a decent notebook and the NP7260 from Sager seems to have everything I want at a great price and form factor but all I worry about is that I've never heard of them. Can someone please tell me if these guys are like a OEM for bigger stuff or if they're some no name company it would be foolish to buy anything from...I really hope it's the former cause this laptop is so sexy...
Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

EDIT: topic title changed
Last edited by Alathald on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Sager Notebooks

Post by Alathald »

Ok, after a bit of looking, I realized that the Hypersonic Avenger AG2 is the exact same notebook (well, same chassis) and that was a very positive review so I'm starting to feel a bit better...Maybe Sager is something I should have heard of then?
ratNukit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ratNukit »

never heard of it before :-k
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

They are really popular for people that don't want your run of the mill dell. They've been around
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I've heard of them, they seem to do pretty laptops :P

I've just read that they use re -branded clevo stuff, so they're decent enough cases.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Dude, Sager/Clevo are basically the same company and they are one of the largest ODM's/OEM's for notebooks... No worries with them at all... I've used Clevo notebooks for nearly five years and have reviewed another one here - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/361/1/
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

dicecca112 wrote:They are really popular for people that don't want your run of the mill dell.
Apoptosis wrote:Dude, Sager/Clevo are basically the same company and they are one of the largest ODM's/OEM's for notebooks...
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was hoping for :mrgreen: Only thing I worry about is if the Intel chipset in the Hypersonic is really worth the couple hundred extra dollars it costs over the Sager with its SiS chipset...shouldn't matter too much as I plan on putting Linux on it anyway but it's just that irrational geek thing of wanting the best. Hopefully I can buy the laptop without the Redmond Tax if Sager/Clevo are basically the same company (and if I call and beg :P )...
Thanks guys :partyman:
Last edited by Alathald on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

If you want a laptop that will run linux, go here http://system76.com/product_info.php?cP ... ucts_id=85
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I'm not too worried about the Sager being able to run linux because looking around a lot of people have Ubuntu running on the Clevo M72R and the Sager appears to have the same chipset so it should work. I'm always up for a challenge though :mrgreen:

I'll keep looking around and see if I can't find a Linux laptop based on the Clevo M72R though, and as reasonably priced as the Sager, always nice to know it works. Thanks for the link
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

personally I'm thinking of gutting my dell, and putting all the compatible parts in this http://www.rjtech.com/miva/merchant.mvc ... ode=COMPAL
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

OK I'm starting to go in circles here, apparently the Clevo M72R has the Intel X3100 Santa Rosa chipset while the Clevo M72SR has the aforementioned SiS chipset. The linux driver support for the SiS chipset only includes a basic 2D driver (interestingly, there is apparently an in-house 3D driver that has gone gold but they won't release the driver publicly) so for me the Intel chipset would be far superior.

So after speccing up a Hypersonic AG2 w/o an OS I can get one for about $1100 with a C2D. Of course, I've hit an issue with the Hypersonic because they've listed the T8100 as a Merom. Seems I've either completely missed something as I always thought all T8100 are Penryns...

I'm still looking as I don't really need the 100gb 7200rpm HD Hypersonic offers and I'd like to get the price below the $1000 mark but that's where I am so far. Might contact Sager and see if they don't have the Clevo M72R (Intel) available...doubt it but I may as well.

I'm also eying the Asus Z37S and the MSI 1221 over at RJtech as well but haven't done a whole lot of research on those yet...that Compal looks nice but I don't need a desktop replacement so I'm looking at the smaller stuff.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The samsung Q45 is worth checking out too, a friend of mine has one.

Is it my fault you want an ultraportable laptop now? :finga:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

DMB2000uk wrote:Is it my fault you want an ultraportable laptop now? :finga:
Everything's your fault Dan :finga:
I was originally looking at the HP Mininote but decided that was just too small and the Macbook Air and your precious Envy are way too expensive (plus they're really only toys) so I'm looking for a decent notebook for school this fall. I'll check out the Samsung Q45 as well.

Maybe it's time I changed the title of the topic, kinda turned from "I'm looking at a Sager" to "I'm looking for a ultraportable" :-k
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ultraportable Notebooks

Post by Alathald »

After a bit more looking and a lot more research upon finding, I think I'm changing to the MSI 1221...it appears to be quite comparable to the Clevo M72R but it's not quite as pretty. Makes up for that by being a good deal cheaper and I'd probably just scratch up the paint on the Clevo anyway. Plus I've found a great deal on one at CyberPower who I've also never heard of but I got smart this time and looked on the BBB and they appear to be a reputable company. Anyway, it'll still be a few weeks before I'll be getting this so I may change my mind yet again before then but thanks for putting up with me anyway :P
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

When I ran my computer store here we only sold Sager as it was the only company at the time that offered anything like a whitebook/customizable PC. They were one of the first companys to truely have a desktop replacement laptop. Always had very good luck with them and some of my customers liked the exclusivity (at the time) of the Sager name. Kinda like an early version of AlienWare.

I'm also in the market for something of this nature although I confess I'd like to have tablet functionality as you know. I'd not considered Sager as my experience with them was in the desktop replacement arena of 8lbs+ or more, battery destroying behemoths. Given that I'm planning on lugging my laptop on my back for 3 days straight that was right out.

As much as I hate HP/Compaq, their tablet appears to be the most cost effective. I'd not considered running linux on it as my experience with linux is acedemic at best and I'm not sure that Linux would support the tablet enviroment.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Well I finally took the plunge and bought an HP TX2500Z (big thanks to Skippman for bringing my attention to it). I got a great deal on it, HP had a special going for $150 instant rebate included plus a free upgrade to 3Gb of RAM. On top of that, after a bit of searching, I found a stackable coupon for an additional $200 off and I'm getting %5 cash back through FatWallet.com so I feel like I made out like a bandit :mrgreen:

Here are the specs:
HP Pavilion tx2500z customizable Notebook PC
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
  • AMD Turion(TM) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-82 (2.2 GHz)
  • 12.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) w/Integrated Touch-screen
  • FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
  • 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
  • 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth
  • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
  • 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
All that for a mere $991.70 :finga:

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out and I'll be sure to post up a personal review once it arrives and I've put it through its paces!
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

dang, 1280x800 on a 12.1 inch screen? my 15 inch laptop is that resolution and i have trouble reading text on it sometimes. i hope you got good eyes boy :P
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

so when are you gonna swap that SATA drive with a nice SSD one?
:D
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

When someone sends me a free one :finga: