Wireless "Not Connected" yet still get signal?

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Maxtron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Wireless "Not Connected" yet still get signal?

Post by Maxtron »

hello all, here's a conundrum for you to solve for me :)

So I've been using a router to Airport Extreme hub setup for quite some time now, and just recently I installed the AirPort Utility provided by Apple in order to update my Airport with new firmware etc. Since I've installed the AirPort Utility, I've been encountering an issue where when I attempt to connect to my wireless network resulting in my computer (windows xp pro sp2) saying that I am "Not Connected" to my network. However, seeing as it says this as I am typing this message, it is not true at all. I continue to have internet connectivity while"not connected". The problem with this is that after a short time, the signal decays while in this "non-connected" state, and fails to reconnect until i go through the wireless network connection window again, select the network again, and again become "non-connected". This is not a complete constant though, because there have been some instances where I have been able to truly connect to the network. This seems to stop after I've run the AirPort Utility, but just restarting and not running the utility will not solve the problem. Any thoughts?

P.S. as I was typing this my signal decayed, forcing me to reconnect :P
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Wireless "Not Connected" yet still get signal?

Post by kappage »

I actually get a very similar problem with Windows Vista SP 1, i jsut tend to ignore it i am connected but that program must give a false reading, either that or the program doesn't 'refresh' its status..
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Try deleting the network from the list of prefered networks and also restarting the wireless zero config service.

Goto network connections in control panel, then "Network Connections"
R-Click the wireless connection and goto properties. Then click "Wireless Settings"
Delete your wireless network from the list below and click OK

Then goto start then run and type services.msc and press OK
Scroll down the page and select wireless zero configuration
Click on restart

Then reboot the PC and reconnect to your wireless network as normal.
If this doesn't work, what make of wireless adapter are you using?

you could try manually creating the wireless settings instead of selecting it from the list and connecting.
Delete the network from the prefered list as above.
The from the same page, click on add and manually enter your network settings (SSID, WPA/WEP key etc)
You'll have to unselect the box "the network key is provided to me automatically" before you can enter the key
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Ken,

Thanks for the help on my end. The wife's computer being the only Vista in the house has this same problem since the son hooked up a wireless hub to the home.

Stev
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

stev wrote:Ken,

Thanks for the help on my end. The wife's computer being the only Vista in the house has this same problem since the son hooked up a wireless hub to the home.

Stev
No problem, always glad to help someone

Ken