Nvidia said to be quitting chipset business

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nvidia said to be quitting chipset business

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm not sure what to think of this one, but is it April 1st?
Nvidia has decided to throw in the towel and quit the chipset business, sources close to the situation at one of Taiwan's top motherboard makers have revealed. As the story is told, Nvidia called a meeting earlier this week with its motherboard partners to gauge support for it continuing to develop chipsets in the future.

The motherboard makers' response? Silence.
Source: Digitimes
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nvidia said to be quitting chipset business

Post by Apoptosis »

NVIDIA has responded by sending out this statement directly to Legit Reviews through e-mail...
Here’s the “official” stance:

1. The story on Digitimes is completely groundless. We have no intention of getting out of the chipset business.

2. In fact, our MCP business is as strong as it ever has been for both AMD and Intel platforms:

a. Mercury Research has reported that the NVIDIA market share of AMD platforms in Q2 08 was 60%. We have been steady in this range for over two years.

b. SLI is still the preferred multi-GPU platform thanks to its stellar scaling, game compatibility and driver stability.

c. nForce 790i SLI is the recommended choice by editors worldwide due to its compelling combination of memory performance, overclocking, and support for SLI. In fact, a recent article on Tom’s Hardware recently came to the same conclusion: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/NVI ... 77-29.html

3. We're looking forward to bring new and very exciting MCP products to the market for both AMD and Intel platforms
There you have it... Looks like NVIDIA is staying in the chipset business and has growth in the market space.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

LOL! scared me there for a sec. looks like this was just a big publicity stunt by digitimes
duplo83
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by duplo83 »

Good!Its very strange, but there seems to be a large contingent of Nvida chipset haters out there. I simply do not understand where they're coming from. I started out on a VIA chipset, then upgraded to an Intel, which was really nice, but the last two nvidia chipsets have been even better. I just don't see the cause for such malice. :-k
Case=Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo=EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
CPU=Intel Q9450 OC @ 3.7 Ghz
GPU=GTX 280 X 2 SLI
RAM=Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
Sound=Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU=SilverStone DA1000 1000W
3DMark Vantage=Overall-21,591
CPU-43,435
GPU-18,491
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I didn't think about it until nvidia pointed it out, but the amount of people running SLI compared to crossfire is a massive difference, and with SLI only working on (pretty much) just nvidia boards, they can't be doing that bad.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)