Window A/C

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Window A/C

Post by Merlin »

Just wondering what you all think....could I have a baffel made to fit around the back of a window A/C unit that reduced the exhaust to a dryer vent size and vent it into my attic?? Thus allowing me to use it in a room with no windows.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Window A/C

Post by Darkstar »

If you put a baffle and vent the back to the attic, wont that be the hot exhaust out of the unit? Where is the unit going to be? you have to consider the condensation run off from the unit too. I would just get a free standing room ac unit, they have come down in price and alot of places have end of season sales going on them.
:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Nope, I would not do it as Darkstar has mentioned.

We bought a room AC unit for the step-kids room, but you still have to have a window or somewhere to vent it to and to let the water drain, unless you like to empty the water container a LOT.

Why cant you put it in a window? If no windows, they wake through-the-wall units also where you can cut a hole in the exterior wall and put it in. They also have covers for them for over the winter if you live in a state that gets too cold.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

KnightRid wrote:Nope, I would not do it as Darkstar has mentioned.

We bought a room AC unit for the step-kids room, but you still have to have a window or somewhere to vent it to and to let the water drain, unless you like to empty the water container a LOT.

Why cant you put it in a window? If no windows, they wake through-the-wall units also where you can cut a hole in the exterior wall and put it in. They also have covers for them for over the winter if you live in a state that gets too cold.

Mike
Mike, i suggested a room ac so i'm not sure what the "I would not do it as Darkstar has mentioned." bit is about, i have one in my office and there is no water to drain and no venting required. this is what i have;http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3342211

Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah, like Darkstar said they have room AC's that don't need to be mounted in a window in order to run properly. They just cost more to have.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

My neighbors got one but it has to be vented outside. When she locks herself out that's the window I have to go through.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Good ole B and E...

Even if you did have an exhaust vent that went up through the ceiling you would have that whole vent radiating heat from the exhaust!
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Darkstar wrote:
KnightRid wrote:Nope, I would not do it as Darkstar has mentioned.

Mike
Mike, i suggested a room ac so i'm not sure what the "I would not do it as Darkstar has mentioned." bit is about, i have one in my office and there is no water to drain and no venting required. this is what i have;http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3342211

forgot a comma I guess - I would not do it, as Darkstar has mentioned ;)

I would not do the ac in the room without it being a room ac is what I meant.

I never actually saw one that you didnt have to empty the water out of and also have a hose going to a window to vent it...where does the hot air go that is expelled out the back?

Mike

would be nice to have one that doesnt need venting or water emptying!!! Model, where to buy, etc would be REAL nice!!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: