Thinking of buying an airbrush...

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Thinking of buying an airbrush...

Post by martini161 »

any one have any thoughts? no real experience with this but its a hobby id like to try. this seems to be a nice kit but not sure if its overkill for a beginer:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 2788_22788
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Thinking of buying an airbrush...

Post by bubba »

That will do fine for you if you have never brushed before. It will do for learning the basics and getting your feet wet. I used a Badger brush, but its been setting in the bottom of my closet for years. complete lack of free time.

Down the line you may want to look at getting a nicer brush that will be capable of fine detail, we're talking hair line. Something along the lines of an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/air ... s_info.jsp

Also look at getting a line drier to take the moister out of the air line from your compressor, as well as a regulator that dial your compressor output to 10-20 PSI, and still be cranked up to use your air tools.

If your an apartment dweller, neighbors frown on compressors, look at getting a large Co2 tank from a welding shop or portable air tank from the hardware store. Air tank is cheaper as long as you live close to a gas station. The Co2 tank will give you higher pressure but will cost a lot more in the long run.

dig around on your fav torrent search you will find all kinds of ebooks on brush tips and basic exercises, vids you can watch the pros work and you can see way things can be done. Pick a style and stick to it, start trying different styles in the process of learning and you will get frustrated and not want to do it. Try starting with premix black paint, its cheap, then move to mixing and colors.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

thanks for the tips! i already have a porter cable compressor, so im fine as far as that goes, not sure how good the regulator is on it though. ive only used it for my nail gun. ive also been looking at this: http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/ ... no=MAS+G23 ive seen some of the amzing work people do with these airbrushes and really have been wanting to learn. not great with a pencil, but painting has always come easier to me
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

This does sound fun, and you could do a variety of things with airbrush skills. If I had any artistic talent I would think about it.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I have an Aztec A4709 airbrush kit. I only used it twice I think to try and spray on the stupid designs on the wifes nails - didnt work fer crap ;)

Make me an offer if you are interested...would be nice for someone with talent to use!

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=50

Only other thing I can say to help you out is NOZZLES, NOZZLES, NOZZLES!! My lord it is amazing what difference there is between even a .50mm and .53mm nozzle in airbrushing!

Mike

I hung on to it for a couple years now thinking maybe they would come out with a pill that would let me at least draw stick figures - alas, it hasnt happened :p
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

hmm, it says it can be a single or double action. which one is it?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

martini161 wrote:hmm, it says it can be a single or double action. which one is it?
double - you can push the lever front, back and depress it for air flow control.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Airbrush-For- ... id=1092906 - differences between single and double action.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

hmm after doing some research i havent heard many good things about the aztecs :-k so i think ill stick with a badger or master brush. thanks for the offer though
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

martini161 wrote:hmm after doing some research i havent heard many good things about the aztecs :-k so i think ill stick with a badger or master brush. thanks for the offer though
No prob - I have no clue about them :mrgreen:

Mike

maybe i should ebay it..hrmm