Somali officials grants foreign use of force against pirates

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.

Should The US or Russia Use Force To Take Back or Sink The Ship

Yes, Either Should
44%
Yes, America Should
6%
Yes, Russia Should
19%
Just Sink It
31%
No one should do anything
No votes

Total votes: 16

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Somali officials grants foreign use of force against pirates

Post by Apoptosis »

The Somali government has finally authorized foreign use of force against the pirates that took over the ship full of military weapons. I hope we or the Russians go on board and wipe them all out... can anyone say level one of Call of Duty 4!
Hijackings by pirates are a near daily occurrence off Somalia, and the international community has to date done little to stop them.

But this ship has garnered more attention. In addition to its 20-member crew, it's carrying 33 Russian-made tanks and ammunition, reportedly bound for southern Sudan via Kenya.

Now, the US fears those tanks could instead end up in the hands of Al Qaeda-linked Islamic militants in Somalia. The militants, particularly al Shabaab, are fighting to wrest control of the country from a weak, US-backed government in Mogadishu.
Source - http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1002/p99s01-duts.html

or a source more specific on the weapons:
The freighter contains 33 T-72M1 and T72-M1K battle tanks, six anti-aircraft defence systems, 150 RPG-7 launchers, six missile launchers and 14,000 rounds of 125 mm ammunition.

There are around 50 armed pirates aboard the ship mingling with the crew and although there have been no reports of violence against the hostages, "fire exchanges have been witnessed on several occasions on the ship, yet no victims have been seen," Ukraine's National Security and Defence Council, said in a statement.
Souce - http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hGo ... gZtDKg-kIQ
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Somali officials grants foreign use of force against pirates

Post by DMB2000uk »

Where were the weapons etc originally headed?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Sudan or Kenya depending on who is talking.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Old Russian Military parts that the Ukraine had and was selling to Sudan if I got the story right...
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Apoptosis wrote:Old Russian Military parts that the Ukraine had and was selling to Sudan if I got the story right...

manifest includes 33 Russian-made battle tanks, anti-aircraft guns and a large quantity of ammunition.

supposedly being sold to kenya, various sources say that it was actually bound for Sudan.....

Russia is sending a ship in, this is starting to sound like a Clancy novel.....

from another source; The freighter contains 33 T-72M1 and T72-M1K battle tanks, six anti-aircraft defence systems, 150 RPG-7 grenade-launchers, six missile-launchers and 14,000 rounds of 125 mm ammunition.
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you so did read the quotes in the original post... hehe
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

:oops: just the first one.....lol

Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

america should just send in a carrier strike group for some nice target practice 8)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I say the ship should be recovered instead of destroyed. I like explosions and all, but destroying something that was being bought buy another country is kind of a dick move.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

im sure we could work out a deal with them :mrgreen: you know to them, 10 million is a lot of money 8)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

What the Somali government should do is create a Coast Guard. That is one of the jobs of the USCG.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

vbironchef wrote:What the Somali government should do is create a Coast Guard. That is one of the jobs of the USCG.
Their government is already a mess, they can't do that.

I'd fix up the USS New Jersey (It's in pretty close to sea worthy shape), get some retired hands and have the battleship sink one last ship.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Tim Burton wrote:
vbironchef wrote:What the Somali government should do is create a Coast Guard. That is one of the jobs of the USCG.

I'd fix up the USS New Jersey (It's in pretty close to sea worthy shape), get some retired hands and have the battleship sink one last ship.
Ahh, she is quite a ship! shes a floating museam near where i live, go to see her every once in a while. the pictrues just dont do justice as to how damn big those guns are! :lol:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Looks like someone is offering $8 million dollars to the pirates for the ship to be freed... I can't believe they are paying pirates that much money. They should board the ship and just kill them... where are the French, British, Russian and US special forces... This is a real world mission that just happens to be a ship full of military arms.
An onshore associate of Somali pirates holding a Ukrainian ship with tanks and other weaponry on board said on Wednesday an $8 million ransom deal was in the offing which may enable the boat to be freed within days. "A boat will carry the money from Djibouti and pirates are expected to release the ship in the coming two nights," a business partner of the pirates, who identified himself only as Farah, told Reuters.
source - http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL8637884.html
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

martini161 wrote:
Tim Burton wrote:

Ahh, she is quite a ship! shes a floating museam near where i live, go to see her every once in a while. the pictrues just dont do justice as to how damn big those guns are! :lol:
I still think that could be used for a community revitalization project of Camden. Those guns can destroy anything! :finga:

I do like that class, but I just love the USS Texas. Something so Washington Treaty about it. I do wish they'd open up more of the USS New Jersey. The USS Midway has the same engines and they are open so you can go down and see the control room and the transmission.

It is a shame that we haven't build a new one. The Marines always loved hearing those guns on the field.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Tim Burton wrote:
martini161 wrote:
Tim Burton wrote: Their government is already a mess, they can't do that.

I still think that could be used for a community revitalization project of Camden. Those guns can destroy anything! :finga:

I do like that class, but I just love the USS Texas. Something so Washington Treaty about it. I do wish they'd open up more of the USS New Jersey. The USS Midway has the same engines and they are open so you can go down and see the control room and the transmission.

It is a shame that we haven't build a new one. The Marines always loved hearing those guns on the field.
Being an engineer that works with aegis stuff, something inside me wants to refurb the new jersey and put an aegis system in it, some cruise missles and make those guns radar controlled :finga: probably be easier to just build a whole new ship though
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

maybe if we just gave them 700 billion dollars the problem would go away
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

aircommando13 wrote:maybe if we just gave them 700 billion dollars the problem would go away
It works for the economy, why not everything else? :axe:
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

martini161 wrote: Being an engineer that works with aegis stuff, something inside me wants to refurb the new jersey and put an aegis system in it, some cruise missles and make those guns radar controlled :finga: probably be easier to just build a whole new ship though
The guns are already radar controlled, been that way since WWII. In Korea they could hit within 100 feet at 15 miles. In DS they were able to get within 50 feet or so at 20.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Tim Burton wrote:
martini161 wrote: Being an engineer that works with aegis stuff, something inside me wants to refurb the new jersey and put an aegis system in it, some cruise missles and make those guns radar controlled :finga: probably be easier to just build a whole new ship though
The guns are already radar controlled, been that way since WWII. In Korea they could hit within 100 feet at 15 miles. In DS they were able to get within 50 feet or so at 20.
spy-2 radar controlled? :finga: