(Rebate Dead) ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB for $200 at BestBuy

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

(Rebate Dead) ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB for $200 at BestBuy

Post by Apoptosis »

Best Buy has Radeon 9800 Pros (128mb) for $250 plus it has a $50 rebate! Final price $200!

This is a pretty killer price when all is said and done. How about a BIOS flash to make it an XT?

For the BestBuy page
Last edited by Apoptosis on Sat May 22, 2004 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I tried the bios flash to XT on my pro 128, didn't work very well. But I've heard that it works real well on the 256 cards...... :shock:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I thought it didn't work on the 256mb's and did on the 128mb's... LOL

we need a 3rd party to set us straight!
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

it works on the 256MB, and not on the 128MB versions.
Thats because the XT's are 256MB themselves..... and some of the 256Mb pro's are even the same R360 core as the XT....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

and this is why I let Justin handle the video cards ;)

Still a good deal for someone looking for a 128mb card that can handle all the current titles like farcry
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

This is one of the better guides that I've seen............and this guy seems to know what he's talking about...... 8)

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?lo ... =92&var2=0
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sublime »

that is a very nicely written guide. Adrian's site is one of the ones I read and highly recommend
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Fry's has the 9800 Pro for $179.00, without a rebate, just a regular sale price.
bigapl
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by bigapl »

Most recently produced 9800Pro 256 models do in fact house 360 cores like the 9800XT
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Capper to save even more money you can get Best Buy to match Fry's price and then they will take an additional 10% off ;)

So best buy would still be cheaper! :partyman:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Damn youre smart, never would have thought odf that.
Has anyone come up with any ideas where this sound is coming from? It is driving me batty, and I can't figure it out. I've taken everything apart and put it back together, tried switching out the memory, everything. It sounds almost like a fax modem sound, but I don't have one. It only seems to be there while the CPU and memory are working at something, when the system is just idling it isn't there. Could I be grounding on something? I am having no problems with the system. Could it be the video card? PLEASE HELP ME!!!
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

capper5016 wrote:Fry's has the 9800 Pro for $179.00, without a rebate, just a regular sale price.
I want to buy one, but what's Fry?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Fry's e;ectronics. Got them all over the country. As a side note, I got to looking at my card, it actually is the XT core, so it can be flashed as an XT, but at 128 MB, it needs some serious cooling.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Most all the new built ATI 9800 cards are coming with the R360 cores these days. It saves ATI a ton of money to make just one core and use different bios on the 9800 cards................most people have no clue as to what's going on........... :shock:
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

well I've never heard of Fry, but is there a link to the price on the net so that I can print it and take it to best buy? thanks
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I don't know if that would work. Best buy has always been a little weird to me, but it could be different where you are, just call and ask. If I was going to buy something and didn't need it today, I would buy from Newegg, there stuff is always cheaper and it gets here really quick.
I am having a little trouble with my ATI card right now, it is too hot to touch, and I never OC my video card, so i'm not sure what the problem is. my case is plenty cool, I put some AS 5 on the chip, but it is still really hot.
I had heard great things about the Chaintech mobo, so far I think it is okay, but not nearly as nice as the ASUS P4C800 e- Deluxe, I could run at 3.5 on that no problems, even 3.6 if I wanted, but the Chaintech reboots constantly at anything over 3.36. It might be I am still not used to its BIOS setup. I can't figure out if default means the board default or the memory/ CPU default when it comes to voltage
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

about the heat issue capper, dont worry, my rear GPU heatsink of my Herc card gets to 65c sometimes when im gaming, i e-mailed their tech support and they told me thats a perfectly normal temperature, so dont worry! :)

My IC7-MAX3 is doing really well too, my mate had a nice 3.2 chip, bought it over, i got to 3.6 stable on my rig, on air cooling, its a good mobo when its got a nice paired chip and some good RAM, my own CPU aint all that good, doesnt do much! :(
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

With the stock cooler my 9800Pro also got pretty hot to the touch....... :shock: I first put a VGA Silencer on it and that helped some, now I'm water cooling it and it doesn't get hot at all. Just warm to the finger test............With a temp guage on the back of the GPU, the hottest it ever gets is 39c............. :D
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

what's the link to Fry???
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

A10-

Fry's owns an online retailer known as "Outpost". The site can be located here. :tonqe: