Performance RAM will damage your Nehalem

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Performance RAM will damage your Nehalem

Post by DMB2000uk »

The Inq wrote:Intel is adivising mobo-makers and memory vendors alike about their new X58+Core i7 combo and to abide to a strict 1.65V limit on memory voltages, beyond which there is the risk of burning out the CPU.

Full Story: The Inq

Crap Crap Crap, my DDR3 is 2v :(

Looks like I may end up getting a Q9450/Q9550 after all.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Performance RAM will damage your Nehalem

Post by Methious »

I have a couple sets that will run with 1.6 @ 1600 but Intel includes ram with the Nehelam kits so I shouldn't have a problem.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

people said the same thing with AMD's processors when the memory controller became integrated. The reason I haven't posted this news is because it's complete crap for the most part... Intel says run up to 1.65V and anything else needs a warning label... Your memory will still work... The Inq and Fudzilla are just getting hits and traffic by bringing up this crap to scare people.

If Intel and the motherboard companies knew that more than 1.65V would blow processors they wouldn't have the option to run 1.65+ in the BIOS. Back at Intel IDF I saw memory companies running 1.8-1.9V for hours and hours on their demo systems. I even just called one of the big memory companies and they have yet to have a CPU or memory kit fail and said they have run 2V on it already.

Don't worry about this as it's complete BS take it from someone that has been around these boards for months and might just might even have one himself ;)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Apoptosis wrote:people said the same thing with AMD's processors when the memory controller became integrated. The reason I haven't posted this news is because it's complete crap for the most part... Intel says run up to 1.65V and anything else needs a warning label... Your memory will still work... The Inq and Fudzilla are just getting hits and traffic by bringing up this crap to scare people.

If Intel and the motherboard companies knew that more than 1.65V would blow processors they wouldn't have the option to run 1.65+ in the BIOS. Back at Intel IDF I saw memory companies running 1.8-1.9V for hours and hours on their demo systems. I even just called one of the big memory companies and they have yet to have a CPU or memory kit fail and said they have run 2V on it already.

Don't worry about this as it's complete BS take it from someone that has been around these boards for months and might just might even have one himself ;)
=P~ =P~ is there a release date set yet?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Thanks for weighing in Nate, is nice to have an informed opinion :)

Has put my mind at ease.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DMB2000uk wrote:Thanks for weighing in Nate, is nice to have an informed opinion :)

Has put my mind at ease.

Dan
Memory voltage will need to be watched more closely on Core i7 without a doubt... To say that high performance memory will kill or hurt Nehalem is a bunch of BS. Even many of the Intel Core i7 boards have memory voltages that go over 1.65V and that should tell you something.