Modding a Car Makes it Illegal in Missouri?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Modding a Car Makes it Illegal in Missouri?

Post by Apoptosis »

ANY vehicle in Missouri that has been modified to exceed its original taxable Horsepower is ILLEGAL!
Any one ever heard that? I have been seeing that on car forums and people are saying that around the car places... I hope it's a joke.
FZ1

Re: Modding a Car Makes it Illegal in Missouri?

Post by FZ1 »

You'd better move, dude.
Joe
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Don't think that is true. If that is the case there are a lot of hot rodders with 32 t-buckets that are screwed. There is a street legal HP cap, but think that is 550-600hp
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

There is a law limiting horse power in Missouri? No way man...

I mean you get taxed on horse power in missouri, but it's done with an equation based off cylinders and what not... http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/fees.htm
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

You guys get taxed for that? Wow!
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Apoptosis wrote:There is a law limiting horse power in Missouri? No way man...

I mean you get taxed on horse power in missouri, but it's done with an equation based off cylinders and what not... http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/fees.htm
That is what I thought, they made a big stink over the viper and rolling off the line with over 500hp. The there was a 602hp released and was said to only be legal in a hand full of states. That was a few years back. Think the best thing to do is call one of the hotrod shops and ask them. If anyone would know it would be them. There is 2 custom shops here in my town, hell on of them is Jerry Bickel's speed shop.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I drive a box (Scion xB) 95whp FTW!
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Define taxable horsepower. Sounds like a insurance problem. You should check with the local laws to find out the facts. How does the law check your horsepower? I rest my case.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

vbironchef wrote:How does the law check your horsepower? I rest my case.
if this really is a law then thats the one reason i can see why. if you arent allowed to mod cars, they can tell by the vehicle you have registered. if you do mod it, then they wont know
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

vbironchef wrote:How does the law check your horsepower? I rest my case.
Well they would probably take a suspect car put it on a dyno and do it like that.
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I've been in Missouri all my life and never heard about anyone getting a ticket for excessive horsepower. We used to build some monster muscle cars at my uncles shop and he had the contract for maintenance on City vehicles with Cops in and out all the time and it never came into question that we were increasing cylinder size, throwing in dome top pistons, dropping 3/4 experimental cams or anything of that nature.

Half of the stuff we did was for the guys on the force.

Might have changed since then but they have a hard time measuring the horsepower so I wouldn't worry about it.