Somali officials grants foreign use of force against pirates

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.

Should The US or Russia Use Force To Take Back or Sink The Ship

Yes, Either Should
44%
Yes, America Should
6%
Yes, Russia Should
19%
Just Sink It
31%
No one should do anything
No votes

Total votes: 16

KnightRid

Re: Somali officials grants foreign use of force against pirates

Post by KnightRid »

Russia should! If they wont do anything about it, then just sink the damn thing. There is no reason to lose American lives over this.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

five days later and this is still going on:
Somali Pirates Say They Won't Blow Up Ukrainian Ship, AP Says

By Ryan Flinn

Oct. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Somali pirates who captured a Ukrainian vessel loaded with tanks last month said they won't blow it up even if a ransom isn't paid, the Associated Press reported.

The pirates, speaking to the AP via satellite phone, said they are still negotiating for the ship's release, according to the news service. The ship is one of 29 hijacked this year off Africa's coast, AP said.

The pirates seized the Faina, a Belize-flagged vessel with a crew of 17 Ukrainians, three Russians and one Latvian, on Sept. 25, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said. It was carrying at least 30 Soviet-designed T-72 tanks to Kenya.

The pirates originally demanded a $20 million ransom, then said yesterday they had extended a deadline for the ransom, lowering it to $8 million, Russian state broadcaster Vesti-24 reported.
Source

The presidential debate is on right now and this is a great example of how they would handle a situation like this... a ship full of arms getting hijacked en route to possible al queda terrorists is a something news worthy, but this isn't being covered at all.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Alathald wrote:
aircommando13 wrote:maybe if we just gave them 700 billion dollars the problem would go away
It works for the economy, why not everything else? :axe:
Ooooooh Pick me pick me! I could get a great watercooling setup for that ROFL!
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

5 more days...

Crew held by Somali pirates healthy
In this photo released by the United States Navy, the crew of the merchant vessel MV Faina stand on the deck of the ship, accompanied by Somali pirates, Sunday, Oct. 19, 2008 after a U.S. Navy request to check on the health and welfare of the ship's crew in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Somalia. The Belize-flagged cargo ship, owned and operated by Kaalbye Shipping, Ukraine, was seized by pirates Sept. 25 and forced to proceed to anchorage off the Somali Coast. The ship is carrying a cargo of Ukrainian T-72 tanks and related military equipment. Pirates holding pirates the ship have demanded an $8 million ransom.
In this photo released by the United States Navy, the crew of the merchant vessel MV Faina stand on the deck of the ship, accompanied by Somali pirates, Sunday, Oct. 19, 2008 after a U.S. Navy request to check on the health and welfare of the ship's crew in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Somalia. The Belize-flagged cargo ship, owned and operated by Kaalbye Shipping, Ukraine, was seized by pirates Sept. 25 and forced to proceed to anchorage off the Somali Coast. The ship is carrying a cargo of Ukrainian T-72 tanks and related military equipment. Pirates holding pirates the ship have demanded an $8 million ransom.
ALeqM5i_K8AERtTMCAc1MzZJ-IkN3d1iOQ.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
The U.S. Navy says the 20 crew members held captive by Somali pirates aboard an arms-laden Ukrainian ship appear to be healthy.

The Navy's Lt. Nathan Christensen says the pirates who seized the ship three weeks ago allowed the mostly Russian crew to line up on the deck Sunday so U.S. sailors on nearby vessels could see them.

Navy spokesman Christensen said Monday that the crew of the MV Faina looked healthy. He was speaking from the Middle East headquarters of the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet in Bahrain.

The ship was hijacked Sept. 25 off Somalia's lawless coast. It is carrying tanks, rifles and ammunition.

U.S. warships surround the vessel, and American sailors maintain radio contact with the pirates and crew.
source
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Well, they are being civil...kinda.

I am glad that they are surrounded by the US Navy though.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

i bet they're just gonna wait it out until the pirates give up or run out of food
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Food and water running out on Faina
The situation on the Faina, a ship seized by Somali pirates, is critical, as reserves of water, food and fuel, including diesel fuel for the ship's generators, will last less than 30 hours, Channel 5 reported on Oct.22, with reference to Verkhovna Rada Human Rights Commissioner Nina Karpachova.

Karpachova is currently in Kenya neighboring Somalia, and she spoke with the vessel's crew on Tuesday, according to the channel.

She said that the situation on the Faina remains tense, however, the sailors are standing firm and their health is satisfactory.

"The Ukrainian authorities are now waiting for an answer from representatives of the parties involved in this conflict. They have been asked to render quick assistance to the Faina, in particular, to deliver water, food and diesel fuel," reads a channel statement.

Meanwhile, the Segodnia newspaper reported on Wednesday that those working for it had managed to contact one of the pirates by satellite phone. The pirate said that his leader Mohammed is now out and that he would not hand over the phone to the crew, adding that the ship's crew might soon die.

"Everything is very bad with the crew, there is no water and food on the ship," the newspaper quoted the pirate as saying in very bad English.

Another conversation, reads the statement, lasted longer.

"Tell everybody that the crew will die. Possibly, tomorrow," the pirate said.
Source
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

ha! they would never kill the crew. i really do hope there not that stupid, because the second theres no more crew members onboard (or there dead :P ) the US navy will have no reason to completely vaporize them
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Yeah, negotiations are completely gone when there is nothing to negotiate for. It's not like they can use the tanks either, they are stuck in the cargo holds!
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

it's been 4 days now, are they out of food yet?
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

martini161 wrote: Being an engineer that works with aegis stuff, something inside me wants to refurb the new jersey and put an aegis system in it, some cruise missles and make those guns radar controlled :finga: probably be easier to just build a whole new ship though
Didn't they recommision the USS Missouri? They were using unmanned aircraft to locate where it's 16" shells were dropping, then compensating with their next shot. I remember seeing some where it was the first time an enemy of the US was surrendering to an unmanned aircraft. It wouldn't take long for me to get tired of 16" shells dropping on my head either. (I'm not an American, so if I'm wrong about this, give me a break.)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

they had the newjersey class battleships used in desert storm, if they recomessioned some of them for enduring freedom or what ever there calling it now i hadnt heard about it :-k
tbdsniper
Legit User
Legit User

Post by tbdsniper »

I'd say let the spetsnaz take care of the situation. With 33 T-72s and other Russian weapons on board let them take care of it. Or they can just sink it, but thats a waste of lives.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Looks like this is over and that they paid the ransom.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/11 ... index.html
CCNN) -- Pirates have reached a deal with the owners of a Ukrainian ship loaded with arms that was seized more than two months ago, an official with the Kenya Seafarers Association said Sunday.
The U.S. Navy released this image of the MV Faina, which is loaded with weapons and tanks.

The U.S. Navy released this image of the MV Faina, which is loaded with weapons and tanks.

"A deal has been reached to free the MV Faina. Talks on how to deliver the ransom money are ongoing," Andrew Mwangura of the association told CNN.

It is not clear how long those talks will take, but the ship could be freed as soon as an agreement has been reached.

The ship, which is laden with Soviet-era tanks, tank artillery shells, grenade launchers and small arms, was seized on September 25.

It was heading for Kenya, whose government had bought the weapons from Ukraine, Ukrainian Defense Minister Yuri Yekhanurov said, according to the Interfax-Ukraine news agency.

After the hijacking, the U.S. Navy sent ships to monitor the vessel for fear its cargo could end up in the hands of terrorists. Lt. Nathan Christensen told CNN in September, "Several are in visual range, and several are in the immediate vicinity," but refused to say exactly how many U.S. vessels were involved.

Fighting broke out among the pirates four days after they seized the ship, with some wanting to surrender and others refusing to hand over the ship. Three pirates were killed in the shootout, Mwangura told CNN.

The pirates originally asked for a $35 million ransom, but lowered their demand to $20 million, he said.

The Faina is owned and operated by Kaalbye Shipping Ukraine, and its crew includes citizens of Ukraine, Russia and Latvia, the Navy said.

Earlier this month, Kenya's foreign minister claimed more than $150 million has been paid to pirates around the Horn of Africa -- a piracy hotspot -- over the past 12 months. Map of pirate activity in the area »

The money is encouraging them to continue and become more brazen in their attacks, Foreign Minister Moses Wetangula told a news conference in the Kenyan capital.

"That is why they are becoming more and more audacious in their activities," Wetangula said.

Pirate activity off the coastline of east Africa is a cause of growing international concern, with a number of ships -- including the Saudi-owned supertanker Sirius Star -- being captured in the past few weeks.

The Gulf of Aden is now being patrolled by a number of international navies.