M4P to MP3

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

M4P to MP3

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Anyone know where i can get a FREE program to convert MY downloaded music from itunes to play in MY stuff??

I just got an iTunes account today and i cant do anything with the files, it sucks!!!!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Was it bought from iTunes or ripped from CD's?

For future use, if your ripping from CD's you can change the preferences to burn to MP3 for CD's.

An old trick for the removal of DRM is to burn them to a CD and then re-import them back into itunes, but at a loss of audio quality, though there was a program floating about the Internet that stripped the DRM off of the files for you, erm, think it was called FairUse.

Try this one at Engadget

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

"FairUse" will only remove the DRM protection ( :evil: ) from WMA files AFAIK
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

these are files i have downloaded from iTunes. They are in the .M4P format and i would like to keep the quality as much as i can!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Try this one at Engadget
Did you?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

yes i did and i tried that hymn program and couldnt get it to work. I kept getting that unable to locate user key error. I am still looking for other methods as well as keep trying this one. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rockcola
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rockcola »

burn them to a CD and then re-rip the tracks. You will have to manually put in song titles and what not, but it works. I do it so I can stream them to my 360.
Tyron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Tyron »

Tunebite will allow you to convert drm protected files to wav. The loss of sound quality if you want to convert it to mp3 is a small problem. But no matter what method you use, that's going to be what you're faced with.

http://www.tunebite.com/en/tunebite/index.html
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I used a program called dBpoweramp to convert a bunch of them over not too long ago. I wasn't aware of any loss in sound quality but can go back and check.
It uses Lame, but the versions you can download now require you to pay up front, I still have an older version that is free, you just install and then install the m4p-mp3 codec. Let me know via PM if you'd like me to send this over.

-Brian
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I have almost just said screw it, the fact that i have to plug in a password almost every time i want to listen to a song i downloaded legally. The F*** with that. Also it will only let me reformat 5 times before i have to buy the songs again. BS!!!!!!!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If you de-authorize the compputrer before you reformat (I know, not always do able) it will let you play them again without using another of your 5 'chances'.

But yeah, stripping DRM time :)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Tyron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Tyron »

Bwall wrote:I used a program called dBpoweramp to convert a bunch of them over not too long ago. I wasn't aware of any loss in sound quality but can go back and check.
It uses Lame, but the versions you can download now require you to pay up front, I still have an older version that is free, you just install and then install the m4p-mp3 codec. Let me know via PM if you'd like me to send this over.

-Brian
m4p and mp3 files are lossy compression. That means every time you compress a file with them you lose some sound quality. mp3's usually do it by cutting off the frequencies above 16k. So if you take a lossy compressed file, convert it wav, then compress it with another lossy compression method, you lose quality twice. Like dubbing a cassette.
lovemp3
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: M4P to MP3

Post by lovemp3 »

I can not find a free converter which can convert m4p to mp3? Maybe you can try some converter in the trial period.
Libran_kevin
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Libran_kevin »

Those programs will never be free.
Choose one of them, I recommend Noteburner since I have been using this tool and it worked well.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

ummm buddy you can use iTunes to convert any of the formats it has into any of the formats it has.

what you want to do is read this page, it'll explain better than i can, considering i've only had iTunes for about 2 months, and i just converted an mp4 to an mp3 so i could use another program to make a custom ringtone. anyhow give it a go!
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

OH WOW!!!! LAWL

I will have to give that a freaking try!! If it will work, this will be funny as heck. RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE!!!! LOLOLOL
ieieafef
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ieieafef »

Hymn works for linux if you need to convert m4p files. It is free.
Maybe you can also rip a CD first, then rip it to MP3.
Scorpio
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Scorpio »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:Anyone know where i can get a FREE program to convert MY downloaded music from itunes to play in MY stuff??

I just got an iTunes account today and i cant do anything with the files, it sucks!!!!
I just stumble upon this guide to convert itunes m4p to mp3 with two ways, that may be helpful

http://www.wmatomp3-converter.com/guide ... o-MP3.html
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Thanks for the continued suggestions guys, but this thread is ages old, so it's getting locked.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)