Just a quick rant

A place to talk about all things mobile
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Just a quick rant

Post by Sporg »

Okay, does anyone else here use M$ ActiveSync? This has to be the worst piece of software I have ever used. Tonight I had to do a hard reset on my phone because it was just running too unstable. Prior to the hard reset I spent about 45 minutes fiddling with activesync to get it to copy all of my contacts. So after I did the hard reset the activesync software wiped out my old profile, along with my contacts!!!! Seriously!?! Now I can't even get a new connection going. I realize that I'm no expert, but I am also not an idiot. Nowhere did I click to delete the old profile. In fact the phone wasn't hooked up to the computer or anything. I have several years worth of contacts that have disappeared. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I can only hope that my lappy has a backup of those contacts. I've done this procedure several times since I've owned this phone and other than getting the phone/pc to communicate (sometimes took hours) I have had very few snags. I just can't believe that my backup was wiped out.

I want to bend over the @%^@#$%^@#$%^ who designed this piece of garbage software. I have a few months left before I can get a new phone, and I guarantee it will have nothing to do with M$. Sorry for the rant...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Just a quick rant

Post by Sporg »

Sorry about the rant. I ended up getting it to sync up with "favorites" first, and once a sync relationship was established I was able to add the contacts. 3+ hours is still way too freaking long.
~Bertrand Russell
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Do you have bluetooth?

I found that with a decent bluetooth software stack (IVT BlueSoleil™ for Windows is what I use), I am able to copy to/from my phone all contacts pretty easily (syncs with outlook). It's not as fast as a wired connection, but is actually pretty convenient.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I don't have bluetooth on my PC. I have to pull from a couple of sources. I pull my work calendar (M$ Exchange) OTA - VERY VERY convenient! For my personal contacts and favorites I've just done the USB thing. I may look into bluetooth though.
~Bertrand Russell
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

I have had a few problems with the software too, nothing like that though. I thought a hard reset wiped the phone anyway ? Soft reset or deleting the sync relationship is mostly what i have had to do to get it working.''

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Well, the phone has been flaking out for the past week or so. I don't know if it caught a bug or what, so that's why I did the hard reset. Yep, and it wipes everything. I've had to do it a couple of times in the past, and it's buggy every time. Honestly I have a hard enough time keeping a regular relationship established between the phone and activesync. I can say that my non-M$ phones have never had that problem. My old blackburrrry worked flawlessly and my wife's Centro has had zero issues as well. I'm really having a hard time liking M$ mobile.
~Bertrand Russell
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Might also look into reflashing the f/w of the phone...most every phone I've had has been prone to bit-rot and it can really make the phone slow. For example, my SLVR (which I loved, R.I.P.) liked to go corrupt every once in a while, a simple flash (of a custom firmware :P ) really brought it up to speed. Then again all my old phones were linux-based, IDK how easy it would be to flash a WM6 phone...
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

It's pretty easy to do a ROM update on these things. I've done it a couple of times on this phone. So the phone has WM 6.1, EVDO Rev. A and GPS. There are a few tweaks that I have to do to make it run the way I want, but that's gravy. I'm assuming something went nasty, since the reset (yesterday) it's running the way it was before going crazy.

But aside from the occasional quirky system issues, the syncing software is just horrid. I don't think have ever had a piece of software that was so flaky.
~Bertrand Russell
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

This post is why I only use my phone as a phone only. ONLY! Call me old fashioned with emphasis on "old" but I don't trust the little sh*ts to store important data yet. I'm doing good to just be able to get a signal to make a call while I'm surrounded by computers :evil:

Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan