ultra x-connect psu

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The mod stream will most likly do fine for you. I just dont recomend it to the hardcore overclocker. The powerstream on the other hand is perfect for a hardcore overclocker.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I'll have to defend U-XC as well. I have a 400 watt in my A64 system, it's flawless. I guess Ultra Products just has an unacceptably high "lemon" rate (read:PSUs below quality spec)...
Sasquatch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm a big fan of Enermax. I have a 550 Watt PS in my rig now. It's powering a Athlon 64 3200+, Leadtek 6800GT video card, 2 120mm fans, 2 90mm fans, and 11 hard drives (6 in removable drive bays with individual fans). I've had nothing but good luck with Enermax.

Image[/b]
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Man, that's one heck of a lot of HD............. :shock: What do you do with all that space if you don't mind me asking.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

do you have them all in raid?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

talked to Sasquatch at the last no-frills warfactory lan. asked him that very same question. he said that he keeps every thing.

me.. I dont think I could keep track of what I had and didnt have.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

That's way to much storage space for me............ :shock: I don't use but a quarter of my 80 gig right now.
NO TACT
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by NO TACT »

Note: The only way I got an honest RMA effort from Ultra was to plaster my RMA issue across all the PC Enthusiast forums and then they decided I was an issue they had to deal with. If I had been joe teenager without resources or some dude who buys and Compusa and doesn't frequent forums, I would have been given the shaft.

My Nightmare;

I bought the 500 Watt Ultra Xconnect from Zipzoomfly.com on 02-19-05.

It ran fine for 60 days. It died yesterday 04-18-05, out of the blue, while I played CS:S.

I tried a few things and the PC would not power on regardless. I had another PSU I had bought for another system and I put it in and was up and running in a few minutes.

Zipzoomfly has a 30 day return policy. So returning it there was not an option. I can read thier website policies and accepted that.

I looked at Ultras website and emailed Customer Service, who have no weekend hours, and I emailed to ask for an RMA.

I got an email this morning from thier Customer Service department telling me to call an 888 number. I call and speak to a customer service representative. He explains that since I did not buy my PSU directly from Ultra Products website ( http://www.ultraproducts.com/) then I will have to first pay for a powersupply to be shipped to me from Tiger Direct using my credit card, then they will email me an RMA # within 3 days (?), the new PSU will be shipped out within the week and I will then be refunded by Tiger Direct for the new PSU after they have received the dead PSU unit I will return. This is thier stated RMA policy! They then asked for the last four digits of my social security number!

I then asked if like all big industry manufacturers they would allow me to send the dead PSU back, at my expense, and they would be able to inspect it and then provide a replacement to me. He said NO that is not our policy, he did not make the policy and I had to do it the Tiger Direct way or no way at all. Very rigid and car salesman like.

This has got to be the shadiest, most ridiculous and disturbing form of RMA I have ever heard of. At that point I would give this company a 0 for thier effort at customer service and a 0 for caring about the customer. I would give the customer service agent I spoke to a 0 for flexibility and sincerity. His computer crashed while we spoke, he could not type fast, he sputtered when I objected to this policy. I am utterly and deeply disgusted by this experience and shall do my best to spread the word about this horrid customer service and policy. I have had to obtain many RMA's from many comanies, Antec, Soyo, DFI, Gainward, on and on. I HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF ANY COMPANY THAT TREATS ITS CUSTOMERS IN SUCH A SHABBY WAY!

I posted this on many forums and on one forums I was offered from someone very close to the Ultra company and a nuker on their forums to buy my dead PSU for $40.00. He didn't even offer me the URL for the Ultra Forums but he offered to buy my PSU for $60.00 less than I just paid for it. What a scumbag. Then he acted as if that was okay when confronted.

Update: 24 hours later after posting to 25 forums.. I finally found my way to the Ultra Forums - http://ultraproducts.com/forum/ where I was helped by "Mr. Clean" ie: George in an efficient manner.

He said that the policy I have stated above is the rule but the customer is right and should the need arise a rule can be broken. He offered to ship the new PSU out, cancel the charge to my credit card, which had occured ~:| and then sent the tracking info for the PSU that was in transit. While this is all very nice there are issues with the process I think that will continue to come up in the future.

Why did I not receive this tracking info when the package was shipped yesterday? Why was I still waiting on an RMA number? Though George was very helpful and I have some good news I am still weary of the process and feel it could be a lot better.

So if you have RMA issues contact the forums or call direct - George - 888-333-8900
At that the link to the forums was not in the top bar of the Ultra site it was at the bottom of the side nav as of this date. No wonder I couldn't find it as I was not scrolling the side bar shopping for products I was looking for customer service.

I know "Some people you can never please". I am very unhappy by the experience and still uneasy about the process I personally experienced. Maybe others will have better luck and this experience may even help the process.

As far as I have been told based on my willingness to exibit tenacity and aggressiveness in pursuing the goal of slamming them on many forums and letting the PC community know of their tactics they have changed their RMA process. I even posted it on legit so they would know at this link

The discussion and flaming that insued on the ultra site is at this link.

I would not buy another Ultra product based on my experience and the many experiences that are listed on the ultra forums.. :roll:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Quite a long litnay but thanks for the info this should help people make good choices. Very sorry for your experience, I work in CS and it sounds like they really just dont care.
NO TACT
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by NO TACT »

You like that one?

Check out my reply to this one today - http://ultraproducts.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=15

They deleted my post. I told the forum that of they had issues trying to get an RMA they need to post to some 20 sites I listed and any of there choosing. Then I went on to discuss Johnny Guru and his tendency to flame people coming there for help and his sumbag tactics of trying to buy my dead PSU for $40.00 after I just bought it for $100.00 in Feb 05.
Instead of directing me to the Ultra forums when he saw my issues with Ultra on HardOCP he offered to buy the dead PSU so he could RMA it!! I also said he had a +20 Sword of Bullshizz to cut down honest hard working people that came seeking help on Ultras forums, a +20 sword pommel of Ultra brown nose and +75 plate armor of "Ultra is the best thing I have ever seen" and I felt he is getting the payoffs. I also mentioned that all he did was flame people that came looking for solutions for a defective POS PSU and maybe a simple RMA. They did not like me me shedding light onto their tactics.

It is a good game they have going.

Yes I am a twisted soul.
Last edited by NO TACT on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I think its great to post here with your experience (C'mon Infinite!). Companies are really putting the screws to the end user. We spend tons of money buying their products, and when we have an issue, they do what Dell has done (take down there support forums), look for any excuse to blame the user, or simply ignore the problem and hope you'll become so irritated you'll just go away.
Stories like CompUSA not honoring rebates, companies blowing off warranties, this crap needs to stop, and sometimes the only way that can happen is by people like you and me making a bunch of noise and affecting the only thing they understand..... their bottom line.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

dont get me wrong im totaly glad he took the time to post his experience.
Sasquatch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sasquatch »

In answer to Audiophile and Bio-Hazard:

8 of the drives are in RAID 0 arrays of 2 drives each over a Highpoint controller card. Plus 2 onboard standard IDE and one onboard serial. All together it's about 2 terabytes of space. Most of the drive space goes to uncompressed dvd rips and video captures. Also there is every game I have ever installed in the past 6 or 7 years since I've started gaming (Including demos to games I have full versions of). And of course, backups of everything. Back to the subject, I got my Enermax EG651P-VE FM (550W)when I had about 6 drives. I just kept adding drives and power splitters and it's still going strong. I'm very happy with it.
lioninstreet
Legit User
Legit User

Ultra

Post by lioninstreet »

I am also a victim of Ultra marketing.

While my 2 month old 500w xconnect is still ticking, I think I will start looking for a replacement and sell the ultra on fleabay to some unsuspecting soul... :mrgreen:
Intel 3.4C Gigabyte 8knxp/U 3G Corsair pc3500c2pt 15k Fujitsu drives SCSI/RAID 0 AIWx800xt 24" Sony
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Gotta agree with you capper. This crap has to stop somewhere, because I got screwed on a $50 monitor mail-in from Best Buy. They tried to say I didn't provide the required information, when I knew damn well I gave them everything but the kitchen sink. It will stop, or retailers, as well as e-tailers, will lose a crapload of business.
lioninstreet
Legit User
Legit User

Post by lioninstreet »

It never fails, If you make enough noise to inconvience a stone wall vendor, they come around and work with you. It happens to me time and time again, from the monthly bills to hardware and software vendors. This thread is proof of it.

Now if I could just get off the high blood pressure medication.....
Intel 3.4C Gigabyte 8knxp/U 3G Corsair pc3500c2pt 15k Fujitsu drives SCSI/RAID 0 AIWx800xt 24" Sony
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, I hear ya, that's the only downfall to haggling.....it would be a lot better if manufacturers, dealers, and retailers alike would learn to work with the general population in concerns with computer hardware, they could make up for the drop in price with volume, at least that's how I see it
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Re: ultra computer case

Post by Landon »

I have an issue with Ultra. I bought a computer case (that has a door on the front) with a lifetime warranty. After only a few weeks the plastic door tang broke off and would not stay shut. I have emailed them several times. For a while they told me that they would send a replacemsent door which would be ok with me but after about 12 weeks of back and forth emails. This is the last one I got:

Thank you for contacting Ultra Technical Support.

I regret to inform you that we cannot source individual component parts
for your case, and therefore, will have to replace the case in its
entirety. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have been caused with
this issue.

In order to start your exchange process, please fax a copy of your invoice
or sales receipt to 1-937-615-1764. Please make sure your contact
information
(including your email address and telephone number) is listed on this fax,
and mark the fax attention Keith.
When I receive your fax, I will call you to set up the RMA. Please be sure
to list your time zone (we are in Eastern Standard Time), and a good time
to call
you (between 09:00 A.M. and 3:30 P.M. E.S.T., for example). I will be
available to call you between the 09:00 A.M. and 3:30 P.M. E.S.T.

Please note that we require a major credit card issued in North America
for warranty replacement. RMAs will be handled by the point of sale on all
purchases made within the past thirty day time period.

Thank you for choosing Ultra Products.

Keith.
Ultra Technical Support.

Me again:
I had already gave them my telephone number and address and they had my email address. Sooooo now they want my credit card number also (BS). They think I am going to tear down my computer and do without it and send the whole case to them they are full of s***. I just wonder why they can't remove a door off another like case and send the door. They could throw the rest of the case away and still come out ahead. If I RMA'd I would have to pay shipping which is not cheap for another case and they would pay shipping back.
They can keep their cases and anything else they have. I will not do any more business with them and hope no one else does.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ultra x-connect psu

Post by Sparky »

Bio-Hazard, looks nice!
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi