trying my hand at modding

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

trying my hand at modding

Post by XstollieX »

Well I decided that I didn't like the way my rig was set-up. I have the rad mounted to the back of the case and in my opinion looks like a hack job. So I decided to track down a new case to use and came across a rocketfish tower case at bestbuy. I need to take some pics of my existing set up before I tear it down. I decided that I am going to mount the rad on the inside of the case so I cut it out and figured I'd share it.
ImageImage
more pics to come of the project. 8)
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: trying my hand at modding

Post by DaIceMan »

nice looking start!
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Nice job on the cutout................... 8)

Keep up the good work.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Looks good so far, I've actually got a case mod in mind it's just having the time and money to do it...maybe this winter after classes are out.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Smoothing cutting job, need more pics of the case through.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

The rest of the case is still at my dads shop.I think I'm gonna throw a window in the side I just need to get some plexiglass. I think I might paint the inside as well. I'm thinging black inside with a uv reactive coating, or a dark green. I haven't decided yet though
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

A painted interior always looks better than the stock factory gray............... :lol:
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

I'm finding some colours really stand out nice against a background of sound damping. Looks good and keeps things quiet.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Here is a few shots of what my rig currently looks like on the inside. My wire management skill leave something to be desired. 8)
This is all in my armor case atm. If I can get the time to paint the inside if the other case i should hopefully be able to start mounting hardware this weekend
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

if you want great cable management i suggest you make similar cuts like i did for my armor 8) ( i would like but you know where the thread is :P ) nice cuts btw!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I will definatley look into making some holes for the wires. Ill have to pull my psu and bring it to the shop to lay out some holes.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

If you have a old PSU laying around I'd use that, there's no real reason to pull your PSU out of your main rig until you're ready to swap things over.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

My psu is about 2-3 inches longer than any others I have laying around. Though I suppose I could just measure the psu and cable locations. Just went and measured my psu its a whopping 8.25 inches long
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Was thinking about throwing in a couple of 40mm fans behind the mobo tray. Would that make any diff to my temps or would it be a waste? I know I would have to slot the side of the case to get some fresh air or for an exhaust. What do you guys think would be better, in or out or is it a waste to do?
Thanks
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

40mm fans are notoriously noisy... for a likely negligible benefit. Getting the cables out of the main case area will increase flow a lot. Give that a try first and see where it gets you and go from there.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Negligible was kind of my thought too. But it was a thought. Just trying to plan all my cuts before I start. Hopefully I can get some more work done on the case this week. Been kind of busy at work so I've had little free time to go to the shop and do some machine work. I figured coming home and playing with my son was a bit more important.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

XstollieX wrote:Negligible was kind of my thought too. But it was a thought. Just trying to plan all my cuts before I start. Hopefully I can get some more work done on the case this week. Been kind of busy at work so I've had little free time to go to the shop and do some machine work. I figured coming home and playing with my son was a bit more important.
always is. I'd much rather stay at home and play with the kids than go to work... but the pay isn't nearly as good, though the benefits are much better.

I've been planning to tear down my Antec 900 to get my list of mods done, but every time I think I have figured out exactly what I want to do, I see another video, or something new is posted in the 900 thread at XS that starts me thinking again. i really think I've got mapped as much as I can do with this case, I just need to tear it down and make it happen.

XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Yeah I agree the benefits are MUCH better. As far as mods, not going to far this round. Gonna set up the mobo tray to run all the wires behind the tray, the cut out on the top for the rad, the only thing I haven't decided is what to do to the side for air. Thinking about some sort of design to house multiple fans or 1 250mm fan, A Plexiglas window for the fans, I'm a bit indecisive. That's my biggest dilemma at the moment. If you have any other mod suggestions I'll take em.

Should I suck air into the case through the rad or suck it out of the case through the rad?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Sucking air in will layer your Rad with dust (It did mine at least) so if you chose to go that route, make sure you use dust filters.

It's best if you try and balance the air pressure in your case (so that fans dont have to work against each other too much), so if you have three fans in, try for three out. I'm guessing you have a front intake and rear exhaust at the minute? Turn the rear to an intake, and have the 3 on the rad as exhausts, combined with whatever side fan intake you have, should balance it out.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

yeah, i dont have that though, 5 pushing in and one pulling out :P