Fallout 3 Review

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Fallout 3 Review

Post by Skippman »

"War. War never changes."

To any veteran gamer those 4 words spoken in Ron Pearlmans gravely voice send shivers up their spine. It's no wonder Game Informer voted the intro to Fallout as one of the Top Ten game intro's of all time. And it's just one of about a hundred reasons I can't seem to stop playing Fallout 3.

Being a huge fan of the series it bothered me to see it travel from the gritty, World of Tomorrow dark future of the first game to the hack and slash tripe that was "The Brotherhood of Steal". Whoever was responsible for that game, I'm sure there’s a special place in Hell for them. So imagine how anxious I was when I heard Bethesda had obtained the rights to what is, in my mind, one of the top 10 gaming franchisees of all time.

Much like an expectant father I was filled with both a sense of excited suspense and fear of the next entry into the Fallout franchise. Would he be a bundle of joy, full of all the excitement that made the original 2 games so fun? Or would he be a terror, like BoS or in some ways Tactics. I'm pleased to say it's a healthy baby boy! And his name is GamBryo!

If there's one thing the people at Bethesda know how to do, it's make a game feel down right huge. Anyone who's played Morrowind or Oblivion knows what it's like to trek through the MILES of landscape between settlements and towns. And it's like that here as well. Emerging for the first time from Vault 101 you’re greeted with magnificent desolation. Ruin and rock, crater and crack for as far as the eye can see. In front of you, off in the distance you can make out a destroyed suburb and a rusted out, decaying water tower. It's only after you have a second to adjust to the size of the world that you notice the sign, twisted and bent professing "Scenic Overlook". From that moment on you know this is your world.

I'll avoid delving into the finer points of the plot but I will throw out a few words for veteran fans to let you know Bethesda's been paying attention.
The Brotherhood, Navarro, Death Claw, FEV.

It's a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. World

I'm pleased that the developers of the new game kept the SPECIAL system as it just wouldn't be Fallout without it. The character creation system (told though a series of flash forwards) is easy to manage for first timers, and a new take on an old friend for those of us who've played the series. They've trimmed the skill set back a bit to eliminate certain unnecessary skills like Traps. In this world, either you see the trap, or you die. It's pretty simple really!

The one complaint I have about character generation is the same I had about Oblivion. It's damned near impossible for you to create a character that isn't hideous looking on your own. I found myself using the random character generator about 40 times until I found a face I could live with.

Another change to the previous Fallout games, and indeed Elder Scrolls series is V.A.T.S., the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System. Looking at in on paper I wanted to hate it. It sounded so clunky. What do you mean pause the combat? But having logged over 20 hours I can safely say... VATS rocks! Here's the scenario. You pop around a corner and there's 3 Super Mutants. They're all in close range, but there's no way you're going to make all three shots in time. Easy! Use VATS. VATS takes a time out, lets you choose the targets, and then makes the shots for you based on percentages. Think of it as Bullet Time with a targeting feature. The camera pans to show your character dishing out the pain, then quickly pops back into proper position so you can continue the mayhem. Be careful though, like Bullet Time in other games VATS only works for so long. Don't have enough action points pooled up and need to take that critical shot and you may find yourself out of time!

The PIP Boy 3000 is extremely useful. Here, you really get a feel that this is based on the Oblivion engine. Quests are presented logically and with HUD waypoints to help you find your way. You can fast travel if you've been there before which will save a lot of time when you start covering large areas of terrain. Equipment is easy to manage as are your skills and conditions. One of the best features is the radio option. Lets just say that it pays to "stay tuned" to the news.

It's A Brave New World

The ruins of D.C. and its suburbs are beautifully detailed. Gas Stations, grocery stores, schools, playgrounds... the playgrounds are particularly haunting. The second I saw one I couldn't help but flash back to Sarah Conner in Terminator 2 watching in horror as the playground was bathed in nuclear radiation. And that's how it should be. Gone are the goofy set pieces of BoS and the 3rd wall breaking humor of the second game. This is gritty, its dark, and the game never lets you forget that.

Bethesda fixed one of my main complaints with Oblivion in this game, the number of voice actors. How am I supposed to believe this is a huge world if everyone sounds like thier brothers or cousins because they're voiced by the same guy. I may be wrong, but I don't believe I've heard any two named PC's have the same voice in the game, and that makes me happy!

In closing I think all the guys at Black Island would be VERY happy with how Fallout 3 turned it. It got everything it needed to right. It's dark, it's gritty, and it's Fallout. So Vault Dweller, suit up. Because "Life in the vault is about to change."
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Fallout 3 Review

Post by martini161 »

thanks for the info, think i may buy this one
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

You haven't already?! Go get it, right now. I see you in your seat, pondering an online purchase... NO! Get it from the store so you can play it today!

If you liked Oblivion, you will love this.

EDIT: Get it for PC, don't bother with the console versions unless your PC couldn't run Oblivion as well as you liked.
Last edited by vicaphit on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

vicaphit wrote:You haven't already?! Go get it, right now. I see you in your seat, pondering an online purchase... NO! Get it from the store so you can play it today!

If you liked Oblivion, you will love this.
considering i have a 25meg fiber line it probably be faster for me to buy it online and download it :P
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Ok, download it. Just get it ASAP. Recently I have only been able to play a game for an hour max because I just need a break from any certain game. I played this for about 3 hours today, and I only stopped because I had to go to work.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

This is, hands down, the best game I've played since Half Life and Deus Ex. It's just MASSIVE. I wish I knew more people playing so I could discuss it. I intentionally avoided the strategy guide so I could experience the game untainted. I'm loving the exploration vibe.

This is VERY Morrow Project.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I hope someone makes a wiki about the game like they did with Oblivion. I loved to go back with Oblivion and make the right choices to get certain items.
----
Andy

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Apparently you've never been to The Vault.

Personally, I'm enjoying playing with the consequences of my actions. For instance, I saved the life of the Overseer and his daughter at the beginning but my buddy got them both killed.
loki-will-kill-you
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by loki-will-kill-you »

i've had the game since the 29th and its amazing! except i'm on my old comp which keeps crashing! oh well new rig coming next week so can't wait for some hardcore gaming!
If in doubt hit it with a hammer, if that fails buy a bigger hammer!

asus m2n32 ws pro mobo
AMD athlon 64 5400x2 black edition cpu
2x 1gb ocz pc2 6400 gold ram
850 watt alpha power psu
swiftech h20 120 compact water cooler
ATI radeon HD2900XT graphics card
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Yep, just found The Vault actually. I am looking at it now, but staying away from the walkthrough section. Looking at the weapons now. I want the Rock-It Launcher!
----
Andy

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

See, that [the Rock-It Launcher] to me was just silly. I didn't like that at all. It's pretty easy to find the plans for it though.

All I have to say is Chinese Assualt Rifle for ranged, Combat Shotgun for the CQB.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I think I only have plans for one item, and the item was given to me in a quest. Do you ever get a place to store items?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out that I just have to finish a certain quest first. I am waiting so I can finish some other quests though.
----
Andy

aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

woot I loved Oblivion! Expectations are high...
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

You will not be disappointed. I've got close to 30 hours in (level 12) and haven't even really started the metaquest yet. It's kinda like Oblivion in that you can just wander and do side quests and neglect the main quest outright. I can see myself getting upset with the level cap though.

Oh, word of advice to vet Fallout players, there's a 100% skill cap. It's not like the old games where you can have 150% skill.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Anyone else get random graphic artificats in this game? Every once in a while I'll get a quick flash of light in a part of the screen, like I just looked at the sun.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I'm gonna have to get this. I've been playing Far Cry 2 quite a bit.
Joe
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Go buy it now. I command it!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I love the fact that I can walk out and start a quest, and end up getting 3 more side quests on the way. I am still level 6, but I have noticed that leveling is a lot faster than it was in Oblivion. I don't think I ever made it past level 10 in Oblivion.
----
Andy

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I've been working all day and decided to read on The Vault a bit. I think I screwed up big. I accidentially skipped the part of Following His Footsteps where you go to the radio station by going straight to the Jefferson Memorial. I hope that didn't cut off the quest completely cause I still wanna complete the event that happens in the quest at the Galaxy News Radio building.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

been playing it today and i have to say i really love it. dont usually play RPG's in fear of getting addicted, but its to late for me now :P i have to say i really love the V.A.T.S. i used a VATS sequence to kill the overseer in the first level, and it was like a mortal combat finishing move :) a voice in the back of my head screamed ''FINISH HIM!"