Should We Open A Flame On Forum?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.

Do you want a mod free flamer section

Yes, I want a mod free area to do and say as I please
29%
No, I think it will do more damage than good
52%
Who cares? I wouldn't post there
19%

Total votes: 31

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should We Open A Flame On Forum?

Post by Apoptosis »

I've had a couple people PM me ticked out at how this thread was closed and how Matt was 'ignorant' to some of long term members that are obviously here by choice. This is the thread that has people up in arms - http://forums.legitreviews.com/about18273.html

I'll be honest and frank with everyone... I'm a very outspoken, opinionated and crazy individual who likes to debate and talk about nearly everything. The things said in that forum topic don't bother me one bit, but there are people who take things like religion and politics very personally. Does our community want a forum thread that is available for members only that is 'mod free' so you can get torn a new one if you want?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Should We Open A Flame On Forum?

Post by bubba »

Personally, I don't understand why it was closed. You can't talk politics with ANYONE with out ruffling some feathers. I didn't take offense to anything said, and told Nobahar that after I received a PM saying sorry (that's when I noticed the thread was closed). I normally try not to talk politics (not on a computer forum anyway) but for some reason I couldn't hold back this time.

If we would have a "open forum" I would like to see the some rules to it (not an anything goes thread), or maybe just a spot for politics. I think a thread where anything goes will be a magnet for trolls and the like.

It could also very well cause some issues, given that there would be conversations that normally would not happen in the other threads, feelings may spill into other areas.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

it would be member only, so it wouldn't be a magnet for trolls.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I know at least one person that would love to have a forum like that. *cough* martini *cough* :finga:

If we go ahead it would be a good idea to put a post count limit on it, say you need something like 50 posts before you are allowed to post in it. The limit would mean that it would be kept spam free as well, so there would be no need to even keep an eye out for things like that.

I'd have no need of it, and I doubt anyone will actually get anywhere other than wound up, but I can see how it would have it's appeal to some.

I agree with bubba in that it should have some rules, and I also agree about that people might find it hard to leave it in the flame room.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

no good ever comes of them form what i have seen. It is SOOOOOO hard to leave everything just in that area, it will spill out into the regular board.

Would be nice for a place to vent (linux :p), but i dont think it would be worth it.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

The internet is a strange thing if you look at it abstractly. Where else can you say something with there being zero context or tone to the message. That's why we created emoticons.

Personally I was shocked by Nobahar and Bubba getting into it as I've had dealings with both and they each appeared to be very civial and cordial people. Arguments on the internet are pointless as the harder you try to push you ideas/beliefs the more resistant to hearing them your target audience becomes. If you want to open a flame only section of the board, that's your call. I'll likely avoid it as I have enough conflict in my day to day life to go borrowing trouble.

I see nothing wrong with what the mod's did. Fact of the matter is we talk to people on this board pretty much every day. That brings with it a certian implied familiarity. But that does not mean we truely know anyone here unless we've socialized in person. As long as people are respectful, present an intellectual agrument, and behave I've got no beef.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Skippman wrote:...Personally I was shocked by Nobahar and Bubba getting into it ...
Didn't think "we were getting into it" just voicing opinions which happens when talking politics. We could have gone back and forth all day, still would not have bothered me one bit. Now if comments started flying about moms.... there we have an issue. Say what you want about my choice of politician, bring mom into it you're toast :lol:
Skippman wrote:...say something with there being zero context or tone to the message....

Thinking this is where this mess is coming from, how I read something and how someone else reads it.. totally different.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I don't think you guys were getting out of hand, but Matt just locked it to prevent it from people getting crazy. It's one thing to say...

Hey I'm X and I love it...

and another to say

I'm this way and your a retard for not thinking and doing what I do.
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

I see no harm in having an unmoderated forum for logical discussions/opinions. I'm pretty sure the most people around here are level headed and won't let their emotions get the better of them.
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Why not give it a trial run?

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Darkstar wrote:Why not give it a trial run?

:drinkers:
well right now it has 1 vote for and 7 votes against
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I don't see the value in a Flame Zone, but I also don't see how that thread merited getting locked. At another forum I frequent the political discussions have gotten far beyond what in my opinion is relatively low-level. I'm not saying the mods were wrong, but if people here might take offense to something that small (which if the mods have seen in the past then would explain the thread being locked) a flame forum is pretty much asking for trouble.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Yea, I think it would be a good idea. I think some days it will be more popular than the folding site. Let's face it, we all have bad days.
skier

Post by skier »

no. as it is i dont post in flame threads, but if people start yelling at each other in one thread, it may spill out onto another(in a moderated one) and cause some problems
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

im all for it :) i think were civilized enough to let this work
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I'm against a flame forum but I agree that the above thread shouldn't have been locked. Maybe moved to the Country Club but whatever. I read Nobahar's comment as a 'poking the bear' remark not as an insult but as he is a new member it is hard to judge one way or another.

Anyway, I'm against a flame forum/thread...if it gets touchy then that is what the Country Club is for, if it gets out of hand then it needs to be locked/deleted. No need for anything beyond that.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I vote for a war room...2 actually. One for politics specifically and one for everything else. Most forums have some sort of forum for venting and constructive arguments and believe it or not they tend to have a lot of traffic and things usually stay friendly. However, there needs to be some serious ground rules strictly enforced.

Here are some off the top of my head...
1. No threats, ethnic, racial or religious slurs EVER for any reason.
2. No personal attacks. Saying someone is wrong is ok, saying someone is SOB is not.
3. Unless one of the above rules are violated, I don’t expect members to complain the mods just because their feelings get hurt.
Joe
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Flaming? Whatever happened to lively debate? The rules are there for a reason, and I don't think the regulars here would like to NOT be regulars by stepping all over other members toes.
I'm against having a flame zone, but all about having a place to debate, discuss, and be intelligent enough to express our opinions without getting nasty.

That's my two cents.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

Well, personally, i would like it, as FZ1 said, it is a good place to just say what's on your mind, and argue hopefully without offending anyone, however i also think that things still can't get too out of hand, people have a right to their opinion, but they shouldn't POST anything that is, of course, racist, sexist, etc. This isn't exactly a place that advocates those types of comments.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Honestly guys I'm against it. One of the things that I like about LR is that everyone is allowed to speak their minds. Nobody really cares how many posts you have. Trolls are not tolerated and are kicked quickly.

With that said, it is hard to tell voice inflection from little letters on a screen. I re-read the post that was locked and do not really see where it got out of line. It may have been heading in a direction that was not good, but we will never know because it got locked.

I have some strong opinions about things, just like a lot of others on here. I try my best not to attack the person, but instead focus on the concept or topic being discussed. There have been some terrific debates here recently (thinking between Skippman and Nobahar) that were not mean spirited in any way. I hope those continue, because they promote thought and insight into other viewpoints. We do have occasional ribbing back and forth and I haven't seen those turn nasty either. Overall I think it works great just the way it is today.

Those are just my $0.02. Whatever is decided upon, I just hope that LR continues to be classy.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell