trying my hand at modding

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: trying my hand at modding

Post by Alathald »

IMO if you have to choose, you should always have more air in than air out. This keeps a slightly positive pressure in the case and helps keep dust out. If you have more out than in then you will have a very dusty case in a very short time...it's why things like cheap Dells and eMachines are always super dusty, they have a single exhaust fan and no intake fan so it's like a little vacuum. :toimonster:
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I'm thinking Ill pull air into the case through the rad. I'll have the 2 on the front and back as exhaust. Anyone know where I can get a good 250mm fan for the side (just haven't looked for one yet). I threw some paint in the case today. Big Improvement, but I forgot the camera at home so I'll post some pics tomorrow.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I have cats, and my computer is sitting on carpet, it has 2 exhaust fans, no intake, and barely a single speck of dust or hair. I don't know how this works, but it does.

I think the case makes the difference.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
skier

Post by skier »

vicaphit wrote:I have cats, and my computer is sitting on carpet, it has 2 exhaust fans, no intake, and barely a single speck of dust or hair. I don't know how this works, but it does.

must be not having an intake, if dust can't get in, it cant get in
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

skierkid450 wrote:
vicaphit wrote:I have cats, and my computer is sitting on carpet, it has 2 exhaust fans, no intake, and barely a single speck of dust or hair. I don't know how this works, but it does.

must be not having an intake, if dust can't get in, it cant get in
What usually happens when you have more exhaust than intake is air gets sucked in through every crack and crevice in the case. With more intake than exhaust you get the opposite effect, which helps keep your computer less dusty, though ideally (as far as cooling) intake should match exhaust. vicaphit is just the exception to the rule (or maybe he has an airtight case :axe: )
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I'm gonna try and keep it close to balanced. But we shall see. I'm gonna post some pic's tonight of what I've done so far. Most of the case is done, just need to figure out what to do on the side panel.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

here are a few pics. Definitely looks better painted!
A couple of pics before teardown
These are the holes for the wires. Blew the location of the bottom one by .75" should still work but its frustrating when its not where you planned.

And the painted tray and backplates. Ill take some more shots tomorrow with more of it assembled.

Feel free to comment away. 8)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

It's hard to tell how good the paint turned out. Is it nice and glossy? I need to paint some angle brackets for my rig to hold the radiator in.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Looking good! Seems we are all camera phone junkies... :axe:

You going to clearcoat it?
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

yeah I need to throw another coat of black on to cover the rivets then clear it. Then I should be ready to assemble the rig this weekend I hope.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Here is a few more shots that I have taken of the rig. Been busy so I haven't had time to finish updating the thread
I used a Reflective clear over the black. Looks better than it does in the photos.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Some new photo's. I still have a few more things to put on, like the back panel and the door.

ImageThis is how the case was originally
ImageThis is the switch for the cold cathodes.
I will get some shots of the insides tomorrow.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Very nice and clean! Excellent job mounting your radiator! I really wish I had your patience with metal working.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Looking pretty darn good if I don't say so myself................ :mrgreen:
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Thanks guys! The original plan on the rad had the fans on top, It was cut to match the fans. Though after Logan (my 19mo old) started walking around I decided to put the fans in underneath the rad so he wouldn't stick his fingers in them.