GTX 280, slight hiccups. Would you RMA?

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Soliex
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

GTX 280, slight hiccups. Would you RMA?

Post by Soliex »

I just received my computer on Monday and put it together.

I ran Memtest86+ for 8hours and didn't receive a single error. I also ran Prime95 for 8hours and didn't receive a single error.

The only problems I am having so far with my system is whenever I play games.

In Fallout 3 I had artifacts after loading a savegame, I reloaded fallout and they were gone.
In Red Alert 3 I had artifacts for about 5-8 seconds with a slight freeze and it was gone.
In COD World At War It sometimes freezes and I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and once it brings up that menu selection in Vista I can alt tab back into the game with no problems.

I have tried the whql drivers as well as the new 180.xx beta drivers, I am pretty sure something very minor is wrong with this card. I think I have exhausted all of my options to try and resolve it myself. The GTX280 is at stock speeds as well.

Is there anything else I can do to truly test the card to its limits and find errors?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: GTX 280, slight hiccups. Would you RMA?

Post by InspectahACE »

i had the same thing happen when i first got my gtx280..kept getting artifacts and BSODS..run ATITOOL( since i didnt see the name on ur post) for a good hour or so and see how far you get before artifacts show up..that program will stress(test) the hell out of the card to see whats up..in my tussle..it turned out to be my motherboard being a POS...i know i reinstalled windows at first and ran atitool and still artifacted after a while..but as soon as i returned the bad mobo for a new one..all has been well since then, no artifacts no bad things...a bit drastic yes, but for a $400 card, and a $100 mobo that i had, it was worth the hassle of trying a new mobo for me..i ran every program you wrote too lol..may not be the motherboard in your case..but if you can..try using that gtx280 on another computer(or another motherboard) if you still have issues..i was using a Gigabyte motherboard when i had issues..good brand but it was my first time with the brand so i never went back to them afterwards. what's your specs by the way?

EDIT:...oh yea, i almost forgot..try another video card too in the same rig..thats how i also came up that my motherboard was bad..so if the other video card is having the same issue..then theres a chance it may not be the new video card's fault
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Soliex
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: GTX 280, slight hiccups. Would you RMA?

Post by Soliex »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will do that when I get home from work.

My Specs are:

Intel Q9550 Yorkfield, stock
Asus Formula Rampage
8gb OCZ PC8500 Ram
EVGA GTX280 1Gb, stock
Corsair 750TX PSU
2x Seagate 500gb HD
2x Samsung DVD Burners