Windows Xp is the future. It's too good to die..

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows Xp is the future. It's too good to die..

Post by hercules71185 »

This is a topic from this site
http://www.pcworld.com/article/155473/w ... k=rss_news
Now, what they are claiming. Windows XP is just too successful for Vista, and Windows 7 is supposed to be the shin kicker. Am I the ONLY one who remembers when XP came out. Remember how "awful" it was. It was not supposed to catch on. Same with Vista. EVERYONE HATED IT. Most still do. But, why? Everything starts off slow. You just have to give it a chance. I even gave Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Fedora all a chance. I just didn't like it as much. Especially the gaming part. Vista is slowly FINALLY catching on. I hear more and more people saying wow it's not bad. Now it will be phased out before it got a chance. Replaced with Windows 7. It sucks because honestly Vista was the first time I purchased an OS. Usually I already have a key from a OEM PC.
The reason I wrote this is because of one thing that MIGHT happen depending on Windows 7.
We will progress and try to push W7. In the course of a few years Vista will be the BEST and not rivaled and Windows 7 will be another Windows ME. WIth that aside.

Who thinks Vista is better than XP? Not a 64 bit vs 32 bit. Just apples to apples.
Do you really think Windows 7 will be worth while? Or should they have just spent time fixing Vista.
ratNukit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Windows Xp is the future. It's too good to die..

Post by ratNukit »

I liked Vista more than XP right from the start. Especially the new Aero desktop.
Vista is my first bought OS too.

And I have to say that with Vista I have less problems than with XP.

I'd say fixing Vista would have been the better way, but we'll see what Windows 7 will be all about when its released.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I think Windows 7 will be the fixed Vista. Too many crackpots have said Vista is awful, so the name had taken a hit. Only way to make it better is to change the name, hence Windows 7.

I said before and will say again, Vista is a LOT better than XP. Now I hated the fact of drivers not being made for Vista, but the same happened with XP. Just had a visioneer scanner not have drivers for Vista for the computer i built for my brother-in-law, so I wont be buying any Visioneer stuff anymore ;)

XP will die, when MS says it will! If they cut off support/updates for it, it will be dead soon after.

I think windows 7 will have the same, so called "problems", that Vista did - OLD **** WONT WORK, also proprietary software written for an early OS might not work either. Hell look how hard it is to get the software developers to even use 64bit! It is a shame.

Wait till Windows 7 is 64bit only - that will cause some uproars ;) ( OK, I am HOPING it will be 64 bit only :p )

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

The ONLY reason I'm going to Vista is because of memory address limitations of XP. I was fortunate to get a copy of Vista Home Ultimate for $50 so I don't feel too dirty about the whole thing. Personally I think the new interface is to reminicent of Mac OS. It's all glossy and "pretty" which really ins't my thing. First thing I do on any XP machine it make it look like Windows 2000 by turning off all the "special effects".

Who knows though. After a month of Vista use I might just learn to like it to.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I use vista and I like it, but I didnt pay for it, I got it from M$ via the survey deal. First thing I did was strip Aero completely. If it wasn't for the orb instead of the flag next to the start square you would think you were staring at a win2k desktop. Runs like a champ on a single core 3.6p4 and 2gb ram.

Alot of issues that came from the Vista switch were the same that popped up from the XP switch "my realllllly old devices wont work because the manufacture wont make a driver" and people got upset because that $400 printer they bought 6 years ago now needs to be replaced, not thinking (for the same quality) that it could be done for the same price as a tank of gas. They just saw the $400 paperweight. Those that avoided Vista for this reason will have the same issues with Windows 7.

Then you have the other group that just adamantly refuse to upgrade as they hate change. Guy in the shop at my work finally decided to upgrade his PC as he felt he got his moneys worth from it. It was a P2-350 with 128mb ram, 3gb hard drive, and Win95SE. He now has a Vista box quad core, 4 gb ram, 500gb hard drive.... and bitches to me daily that he dislikes they way things where made too overly complicated for the start menu. I helped him change the look to the "classic" but he still bitches.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

im the same way with stripping most my OS'es down, but since my vista machine is a family HTPC i left areo on cause there suckers for the whole pretty colors thing :P I think that a common misconception is that windows 7 is going to fixed vista. from what ive heard, its not. windows 7 is going to be vista, with maybe a few minor changes, and DRM UP THE ASS because of this whole cloud computing thing. i will continue to use XP as will a very large portion of the PC market for a long time, so i dont think microsofts going to cut off support very soon. One thing i am kinda looking forward too is vista SP2, which is supposed to be pretty good. nothing earth shattering, but its supposed to fix some bugs.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Half of the machines are XP Pro and the other half is Vista.

About the driver problems in Vista is the strong reason why XP is still around running much of the peripherals we have.

With much fanfare of computer companies and software makers saying they are GREEN, I tend beg the differ. If Vista and those other companies allowed driver updates, we would all be GREEN without filling the land fills with digital cameras, scanners, printers, monitors, and NICs.

Even with equipment that is Vista driver friendly, other strange things happen too.

And why ,oh why, does Vista come out of the box with the UAC enabled !!!! It's soooooooooo annoying.

A majority of businesses are still running W2K or XP. Their apps and specific softwares are not Vista ready. Even Intel is not running Vista either. Just last quarter I recall seeing a grand long list of businesses not running Vista which in turn has kept the business new sale of computers using XP from the major system vendors.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

i dont have facts to back this up, but i can confidently say that at least 90% of the fourtune 500 companies still use XP.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

martini161 wrote:i dont have facts to back this up, but i can confidently say that at least 90% of the fortune 500 companies still use XP.
Boeing falls into that category! I work at a branch of Boeings IDS(Integrated Defense Systems) we have 7 Vista machines that I know about and they are all test systems! We still have several Win98SE's to run most of the automated Johnson Controls software.
I seem to remember reading earlier this year that support for XP Pro will last approximately 10yrs.
I will try Vista but my main rig will remain XP Pro!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I still prefer XP but am running Vista 64 on my main machine due to the fore mentioned memory limitations. I'm in the process of setting up a new box for someone and it is XP, I forgot just how much snappier and responsive it is, even with 2GHz less CPU power.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I like XP Pro, but it is showing its age. The one thing that I was really looking forward to with Vista was the new file system. When they delayed the release I was hoping they would get it working. As we all know they did not. Vista is pretty if you are into that.

I really liked Win2K Pro. I tried ME for maybe 24 hours and then went back to Win 2K. I didn't use XP fulltime until SP2 came out. From then on I've been an XP user. I'll probably stay XP until 7 comes out. But I will wait and see how 7 performs before I make any move. I think Vista might be one that I can skip over :mrgreen:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

i still use win 2k at work :)
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

XP at home for me. I like how it is. i have no desire to change.

Work (i work at Merrill Lynch) the machines have XP on them. We just got new workstations - last month - and they all have XP on them.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I can respect those who have honest problems with Vista (hey nothing that comes out of Redmond is every free of problems). Now, I'm not saying anyone in this thread is specifically guilty, but what annoys the heck out of me is this misplaced nostalgia some people (and websites) have for Windows XP; as if "old = good" or something. Change isn't necessarily bad. Now, all the changes in Vista aren't good either, but I do appreciate the attempt (though clumsy) through UAC to somewhat limit the damage that malware can do to a PC. The KPP within Vista x64 is a great thing. Everyone complains that "Windows sux, Linux/Unix is so much better," then Windows moves toward a more Unix-like security model and everyone complains.

I believe a good chunk of the Vista bashing is simply "Who moved my cheese?" and nothing else. I've had very few problems with Vista once the nForce/X-Fi/SLI issue was ironed out of x64 post-SP1. I eagerly await Windows 7. I don't miss XP, but then again if I had a reason to stay with XP (preferences, tastes, software) I wouldn't be running Vista on both my machines.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Sovereign wrote:I can respect those who have honest problems with Vista (hey nothing that comes out of Redmond is every free of problems). Now, I'm not saying anyone in this thread is specifically guilty, but what annoys the heck out of me is this misplaced nostalgia some people (and websites) have for Windows XP; as if "old = good" or something. Change isn't necessarily bad. Now, all the changes in Vista aren't good either, but I do appreciate the attempt (though clumsy) through UAC to somewhat limit the damage that malware can do to a PC. The KPP within Vista x64 is a great thing. Everyone complains that "Windows sux, Linux/Unix is so much better," then Windows moves toward a more Unix-like security model and everyone complains.

I believe a good chunk of the Vista bashing is simply "Who moved my cheese?" and nothing else. I've had very few problems with Vista once the nForce/X-Fi/SLI issue was ironed out of x64 post-SP1. I eagerly await Windows 7. I don't miss XP, but then again if I had a reason to stay with XP (preferences, tastes, software) I wouldn't be running Vista on both my machines.
don't go Hem and Haw in .. lol
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I agree that a lot of people have mistaken concepts of vista and the name is quite tainted because of a not so polished initial release and I agree that it is now a pretty decent OS (heck I'm posting with vista ATM) but a Unix-like security model? It's more like they just stuck some new menus in to navigate that make it seem more Unix/Linuxy but I've never been able to get vista's permissions to fully cooperate like I have with Linux. Not to mention that Linux is just much much more secure than Windows on a whole. Compatibility/usability for the average person may be another issue entirely but if we're talking security there is no real debate. Again, not saying the OS on a whole is bad but M$ kinda went from a ****sandwich to a ****sandwich with cheese as far as the default security features go.

On the XP issue, I've pretty much moved away from the OS but then I don't run a business or have many computers either.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

It's nice to see that at least there is a pretty close opinion on Vista. I thought it was going to be all against Vista. Also, I had Linux for a while I did the 30 day test. Once you do it 30 days you are not supposed to like Windows. Well. I HOPE it's better now. When I did it. They had no drivers for my 8600 gt. I couldn't even run Beryl because of it. On top of whenever I wanted to play a game I had to load XP. It got old and I guess for me personally Windows is better. BUT, I do have to admit it has came a long way since back in the day.