Have a Safe and Happy Holidays

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have a Safe and Happy Holidays

Post by Apoptosis »

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Holiday and to be very careful while traveling as the weather across the nation isn't the best this week. I was driving to pick up some web server parts yesterday afternoon and it was raining, but the ground temperature was below freezing. That caused the roads to ice up even though it was warm enough to be raining. I was driving home on Interstate 70 and cars were wrecking all around me. I even managed to snap a picture of a box truck that slid on an overpass and sat across two guard rails. It was so bad there was even a 13 car accident about 10 miles past where I was driving that claimed a life, so be careful and see you back on the site in a couple days!
boxtruck.jpg
boxtruck.jpg (8.36 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Have a Safe and Happy Holidays

Post by Alathald »

The same thing happened here, we went out to go across town and made it about halfway before it got bad. A trip that normally takes less than 3 minutes took us over 45 minutes to get back home. On just our block there were 3 separate accidents and we saw many more on the trip home. Be careful people, especially if it's 30°F and raining or foggy.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I took Creave Cour Mill Rd home last night and ended up fording about 1ft of water. Good thing I have a Jeep as I don't think a car would have made it.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

That's some really weird weather.

When it's that cold anyway, you should be cautious of ice, raining or not.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

When it snowed here in Vegas(way more than past few times its snowed)...i would see accidents left and right too..In fact i had one a$$hole come up from behind me after cutting about 4 cars off..now hes fishtailing all around behind me..then manages to get beside me..needless to say i was kind of stoked to get out of the way until he hit the middle wall on the street..he hit it at an angle so he could keep going instead of stop. that dumbass kept driving..even his girlfriend was scared sh*tless but he kept on going..you would think people have common sense..i guess it just us at LR who do lol(most of us anyway...i wanted to use the snow to wreck my somewhat new car to get a newer one lol)
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Over here in Toronto, we got hit by 2 storms and 1 mini-storm. So much snow within the course of 1 week...And today it's raining and the temperature is like 4C. Last week, it was like -8C or and very, very windy. Crazy weather....>.<
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Monday it struggled to top 15 deg F, with wind chills around 0 most of the day. Tomorrow, they are forecasting 63 deg F. Should be a nice weather swing to spawn a couple tornadoes. Had a few of them on January 2nd/3rd of this year.
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Happy holidays guys...

be safe on the roads!
skier

Post by skier »

on Christmas eve my friend spun out on a small highway due to the entire section of road being iced over (he only nudged a snowbank) but when he went outside the car to look at it, he almost got hit by another car that lost control! there were two other accidents within a couple hundred feet of him when he had his, i don't know that anyone was hurt that night around here
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Tuesday night we had just had a cold day, and it was warming up (it was at 40F) at about 11:30pm. I thought nothing of it, but the road had already had ice on it that hadn't melted yet. I drove at regular speeds all the way home, and almost fell walking up the lip into the driveway. I was pretty lucky I didn't put my car into a ditch!
leexgx
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by leexgx »

there are some of drivers out there that drive way to fast and loses grip (they are just fools)
or way to slow or do norm turns slow to the point it is unsafe, make more accidents then any thing els in the UK the so called safe drivers that norm drive off after making an accident behind them (they should be get points on there drivers license + an fine)

most of the highway (motorways uk) in the uk crashes happen at slip roads where they are suppose to come off so they cut across 1-2 lanes of traffic to get to it in some cases and hit an car (or an truck)
thay need to keep an gap when driveing what alot of pepole do not do allso Not moveing out of the out side line {fast lane} in the UK is norm 85mph avg (should be 70mph)or when in an Dual carriageway cards doddering in that lane

when its frosty should drive alot slower
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Didn't think it warranted a new thread but just wanted to remind everyone to be safe out there, I know that those of use in Ohio (FZ1, vicaphit and myself) got hit pretty hard overnight and the forecast says it will only get worse. IDK how hard STL got hit (or anywhere else for that matter) just wanted to wish everyone a safe post-holiday season.

Now, as I've called off work today, I'll either be outside in the snow or killing zombies (whichever strikes my fancy at the time)! :drinkers:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I made it to work ok...tomorrow will probably be worse!
Joe
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I made it to work too, though I doubt it will be easy to get home tonight. We have ice forcasted.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Here is a picture I took on Tuesday night before I left work to go home.

----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

its a shame, with a real camera that could have been a very pretty picture! :mrgreen:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

When I used to live in MA. we had snow tires with studs. Is this still legal or not. I guess it depends on the state. Looks like a good time to use chains. Believe it or not I have chains in my truck and I live in CA. Just in case.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Yeah, that was taken with my 1.3 megapixel cameraphone. I went out the next day with my better camera, but I doubt those turned out well either. I will take a look at them, and if they are any good I will post them.
----
Andy

vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Yet another double post, with better pictures.

----
Andy