Cable Management?

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cable Management?

Post by dicecca112 »

How do you guys do it? I have a ton of cables, how do you know what's what and bundle them together?

Point and Case
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cable Management?

Post by Skippman »

Well I guess I'm not sure I understand your question.

For a long time I was a big fan of zip ties and split loom. It does indeed look nice when it's finished but if you ever want to change something better have some cutters handy and a bunch of replacement zip ties.

When I built my basement theater I decided to use Velcro ties instead. They worked fantastically. They're easy to use, hold very well, and are reusable.

If you're asking how do you know which wires are ok to bundle together that's going to depend on a few variables. As a rule you don't want to bundle anything carrying power with anything carrying signal. In other words you don't want to bundle your component video and power cables together. If your power isn't clean you CAN induce 60hz hum on the signal wires. In audio this comes across as a huming. In video it comes across as a rolling line in the picture.

With optical cables like TOS/LINK you want to avoid kinking them at all costs and doing so can cause the fibers to break and stop carrying the signal. Make sure you leave enough slack to have a gentle bend in the wire as opposed to a sharp kink. Think of it like a water loop in your PC. You wouldn't want it to have a 90deg bend, would you?

Speaker wires are ok to bunch together. Just make sure the weight of the bunched together wiring isn't so heavy as to pull the cables out of the rear of the AVR. I've seen this happen with 7 channel systems and heavy gauge speaker wire. While we're on speaker wiring, I can't recommend banana plugs enough. When you start getting connection dense on the rear of your AVR with 5.1 and 7.1 systems using those little screw down terminals can be rough. Banana plugs eliminate the need for all of that.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

for some reason im very good at managing cables inside a computer case but suck at it on the outside :lol:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Easy! Just remove the unneeded mouse and use the velcro strap as seen in the picture!

----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Funny, how did I know someone was going to pick up on that. That's from my EEE PC, that's the Power Brick, and my Mouse is from the EEE PC as well. The Netbook is one the dresser out of frame, and that is hanging down. :P
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Haha, I was just trying to be funny. Anyway, I always think about where the cables are going to be running, and I will put in items based on where the cables should be. It all goes crazy after I have organized because I frequently take my computer to other places.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Haven't gotten as far as "how to" just yet, but next weekend is reorganize/cable manage the downstairs TV rack. I'll try to shoot pictures as I go along.

I found this site this week, and it's a decent idea, just not sure how applicable it is for everyone. http://www.decluttered.com/
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

What's the dif. between someone married and single? answer: Neat wires. It takes alot of time and patience to do it right. Have to unplug everything to untangle the crows nest.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

vbironchef wrote:What's the dif. between someone married and single? answer: Neat wires. It takes alot of time and patience to do it right. Have to unplug everything to untangle the crows nest.
neat wires are only necessary in obvious spaces (as far as my wife is concerned, that is)... like the upstairs living room. My computer room is behind a door, and until I get a chance/the money to buy the boxes for my network cables, the door gets closed when company comes over.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

What's personal space? :lol:
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Just saw this posted on a newswire today.

The clip says that this is a LEADING provider of telecommunications! That's just shocking! :shock:

AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

wow, just, wow.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

stev wrote:Just saw this posted on a newswire today.

The clip says that this is a LEADING provider of telecommunications! That's just shocking! :shock:

Caption says R&D lab, so I'm not surprised. Must be a bitch to find a cable when you need it
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Hey trace the gray wire.

Here is a shot of my little wire room before I cleaned it up, can't imagine that dealing with that mess all the time.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
mr_noname111
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mr_noname111 »

My idea of cable management: as long as you cant see the mess, often hidden behind desks, dont worry about it! :mrgreen:
Main Rig: E8400@3600mhz, Asus P5Q, OCZ 4GB, EVGA GTX260 216, Corsair HX520, Antec 300, Samsung 2443BW
HTPC1: E5200@2500mhz, EVGA 780i SLI, OCZ 2GB, Asus 9600GSO, OCZ GameXStream 600W, LG 47LG70 LCD TV
HTPC2: E6500@3300mhz, DFI DK X48 T2RS, Kingston 2GB, Palit 9800GT Green, BFG 550W, Acer H5360 720p 120hz Projector
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Zip ties are my best bud. Too bad they just wrangle the mess and not hide it.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It's a shame that the cables aren't long enough to at least tuck along the skirting-board, rather than half way up the wall.

Get some plastic tube that is the same colour as the wall and run them all in that so they aren't black and as a visual mess.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Daniel85
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Daniel85 »

hi there,
for organizing your cables you can use this cable holder https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Clips-Mana ... B00NVKHLP8solution.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Daniel85 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:25 am hi there,
for organizing your cables you can use this cable holder https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Clips-Mana ... B00NVKHLP8solution.
11 Years later - I am SOOOOOO glad you are here to save the day :roll:

Stop digging up old threads!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
marshelwilson87
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by marshelwilson87 »

Hello there,
bubba wrote: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:48 am Hey trace the gray wire.

Here is a shot of my little wire room before I cleaned it up, can't imagine that dealing with that mess all the time.

I suggest you your using cable management kit this is the right option to use and manage all wire in your showcase.