I need to upgrade my computer (HELP!)

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
[AK]Zip
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

I need to upgrade my computer (HELP!)

Post by [AK]Zip »

I haven't been doing too much gaming so I haven't kept up with computer parts much the past few years. Now that I have run into what looks to be a motherboard problem I am looking to just go ahead and upgrade the whole thing. Below is what I have now and I have no idea where to go from there.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.7GHz (270X10, 1.52v)
Mombo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Ram: 2GB OCZ PC3200 (3-4-4-8, 2.95v)
Video: EVGA 7950GX2 (600mhz / 1.6ghz)
Sound: Audigy 2 ZS
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 470ADJ
HDD: 2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA (Raid 0) + other large drives for storage.

I am looking into the new i7 CPU (unless something else can be suggested). What air cooling setup should I get for the CPU? I have no idea what to do as far as motherboard or ram goes so I need a lot of help here. I know I want a nice overclocking motherboard and ram to go with the new CPU. I will keep the 7950GX2 for now until the new gen video cards come out and then I will upgrade that as well. I don't think I will be upgrading the HDD's. As for sound card if there is something worth while post up.

Now my question about the PSU. This was considered one of the best out there at the time, but is only 470watt. Do I need any more than this now a days or no?

I don't really have a budget, but I would like a nice bang for the buck setup.

I have been here for a long time now and still read daily even though I don't post much. I do appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks,
Alex
  • Corsair 800D | Corsair HX850W | LG 20X DVD+/-RW | TRUE 120 | Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz (200X21, 1.275v) | Intel X25-M G2 120GB | 2 - WD Green 2TB | 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3 12800 | EVGA X58 SLI | X-Fi Platinum | EVGA GTX 480 (780/1970)
  • Dell U2311H 23in (IPS) | Saitek Eclipse II | Razer Boomslang 2007 CE | Razer Exactmat
Heatware 90-0
[AK]Zip
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: I need to upgrade my computer (HELP!)

Post by [AK]Zip »

I did some newegg searching and here is what I have come up with.

I will not be upgrading my video card until the next gen cards come out. My hdd's are still some of the best so I am keeping them. Sound card seems to be ok unless the new cards out there are really worth it (are they?). Maybe I will try what ever card is onboard.

I am not sure if I will need to upgrade the 470watt psu or if it will still work ok since I am keeping my current video card. If it will work ok then I will keep it and upgrade once I upgrade the video card as well. If the PSU is not enough then I will need to upgrade that as well and need suggestions.

With CPU I want either an i7 920 or a Core 2 Quad of some sort (suggestions?). Ram since I am upgrading I would say 4+GB. Motherboard has to match the CPU. I need an appropriate cooler for the CPU as well.

All in all I will need the CPU, HSF, mombo, ram, and possibly the PSU.

Like I said I don't really have a budget, but lets say a max of about $1k for the stuff above. I could spend $5k even for the top of the line everything, but I simply don't see the need since I won't use it.

I already own XP (32bit) and Vista (64bit) so I don't need a new OS.

I do game here and there (1680X1050) though some of the new games are 100% unplayable on my current setup due to running a single core. I do a bit of Photoshop editing. Some video editing though pretty rare. No 3D stuff at all.

Let me know what u suggest.
  • Corsair 800D | Corsair HX850W | LG 20X DVD+/-RW | TRUE 120 | Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz (200X21, 1.275v) | Intel X25-M G2 120GB | 2 - WD Green 2TB | 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3 12800 | EVGA X58 SLI | X-Fi Platinum | EVGA GTX 480 (780/1970)
  • Dell U2311H 23in (IPS) | Saitek Eclipse II | Razer Boomslang 2007 CE | Razer Exactmat
Heatware 90-0
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You sure those games are unplayable because of your CPU? (Rather than your GPU).

I would get a new PSU ready for the rest of the upgrade, not to mention the CPU will be sucking down a lot more power than before. I recommend the Corsair HX series (ideally the 620HX).

If you've got the budget to go core i7 now, then do it, it's a massive leap up in performance from even the faster core2 systems.

With the core i7 lineup, you will be looking at either 3GB or 6GB (because of the triple channel memory controller), and if you are going with the 6GB option, use your 64bit vista.

Noctua NH-U12P is a great cooler that fits on the i7 CPUs, and is really quiet too.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

I would read this review first, before buying an i7
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/860/1/
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Phenom II, no thanks. If you're gaming, encoding, browsing the Internet, sitting idle on the desktop do not go with AMD. In their current state of affairs they are struggling to keep up with the Jones's (Intel). Unless you have more money than common sense I'd shy away from i7 at the moment. The CPUs aren't ungoddly priced but the RAM and motherboards sure are.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Did you read the phenom II review that was linked?

It sounds like you are debunking AMD without even weighing up the facts.
browsing the Internet, sitting idle on the desktop do not go with AMD
It has better idle power than even a stock Intel E7200, and they load the same. So why shouldn't you go for it if you are doing low intensity tasks?

And as for the other high intensity tasks, it's not really behind by that much at all. Game fps is only a few % behind i7, and most of the time it doesn't constitute a difference between playable and unplayable

I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to put up with waiting a couple of minutes longer for things like encoding, for how much cheaper the overall system is compared to an i7 platform.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Personally I'd say go with a Core2Quad setup. The memory's becoming extremely cheap, there's an extremely large selection of motherboards available, and they're extremely overclockable. Why spend $250 for just a motherboard when you could likely get an excellent Core2Quad board and 8GB OCz RAM for it for the same price?

I second the recommendation for the Corsair 620HX PSU. I have one powering my rig and the things a beast.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

DMB2000uk wrote:Did you read the phenom II review that was linked?

It sounds like you are debunking AMD without even weighing up the facts.
browsing the Internet, sitting idle on the desktop do not go with AMD
It has better idle power than even a stock Intel E7200, and they load the same. So why shouldn't you go for it if you are doing low intensity tasks?

And as for the other high intensity tasks, it's not really behind by that much at all. Game fps is only a few % behind i7, and most of the time it doesn't constitute a difference between playable and unplayable

I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to put up with waiting a couple of minutes longer for things like encoding, for how much cheaper the overall system is compared to an i7 platform.

Dan
I too stated that I'd skip the i7 platform. I read the review on LR + several others and I'm not interested. I don't see anything that blows me away. Yes AMD is finally overclockable again but it's irrelevant when you compare it to an overclocked C2Q.