Wii Sensor Bar centered on TV screen

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Wii Sensor Bar centered on TV screen

Post by jakegub »

I am a medical student and don't have time to do all of the modding I would like to do.

I've done google searches and I haven't found anyone who has made a good looking wii sensor bar that allows the two IR LEDs to be mounted on the sides of the television so that to get your cursor in the middle of the screen, you actually point at the middle of the screen. Right now you have to set it below or above and thus have to point above or below in order to get it centered.

I've seen instructions for horrible Frankenstein "Wireless Sensor Bars", but I know someone here has a wii and some spare time and can figure out how to get 2 small boxes to mount on the center of each side of a TV to transmit IR signals.

If it is possible to use the Wii to power the IR LEDs, that would be preferable for me, although a battery-powered solution is acceptable too. i am going to do a quick sketch in paint and hopefully paste it below.

On second thought, I'm going to link to the sketch because i'm not sure how to imbed it. Link to my sketch is

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IE ... directlink
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wii Sensor Bar centered on TV screen

Post by DMB2000uk »

The Wii doesn't do direct 1:1 motion, and isn't meant to be accurate like a lightgun, it's all relative movements from whatever position it deems as being 'the origin' (of it's axis').

The Wii only has calibration options that tell it that the sensor bar is either above or below the TV (you have been setting these right?), so having the sensor bar in the middle would mean that you would still not pointing it directly at the TV.

You would run into a second problem with this setup in that unless you are actually a long way away from your TV, the controller wouldn't be able to see both LED's at once and so defeats the whole sensor bars purpose.

Sorry to nuke your idea!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

Only one reply, I was hoping for more.

First off, The sensor bar is a lot closer to 1:1 movement than you think, and the settings about above or below tv don't help much. Also, I prefer to sit further back from the TV than is currently comfortable so it wouldn't be a problem for me.

Someone has to have tried something like this right? On a large TV, IR LEDs on the sides would be almost perfect.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I bought a wireless sensor bar because from the tv to where we stand is about 14 feet or so. No need to do the crazy mods when you can buy a bar for around $20 ;)

Mike

Above and below tv settings DO make a difference. Hold your wiimote at a set level and change the settings, you will see the cursor go higher or lower depending on your setting for the bar.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I would say its pretty close to 1:1, but certainly not 100%
http://gizmodo.com/337068/wii-headtrack ... ow-display
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:I would say its pretty close to 1:1, but certainly not 100%
http://gizmodo.com/337068/wii-headtrack ... ow-display
But that's not the wii that's tracking the movement :axe:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I'm still interested in this project. Dan, The wii doesn't do any tracking at all. The wiimote does all of the tracking and I SWEAR that LEDs on the sides of the TV would be best. In fact, if someone made some kind of track that runs vertically along the side of the TV that you could move the LEDs to accomodate the small difference that the "below" or "above" TV settings make, I think that would be the ultimate mod. Also if anyone wanted to just test out our theories using scotch tape and the LEDs, then we wouldn't have to have theoretical arguments, although those are the arguments in which I tend to do best.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If I had a laser pen, I'd strap it to the wiimote to see where I'm actually aiming it in relation to the screen.

Our sensor bar is a foot below the TV anyway, so we're off no matter what the above/below setting is on, but with how high our TV is mounted on the wall, it's more natural (and more relaxed for my hands) to not have to tilt the wiimote up so much.

Jake, I just wondered how your style of playing is, do you sit with your hands in your lap, or have your wiimote arm outstretched? If you're the outstretched type, I guess that's why you'll notice the fact that it's 'off' a lot more (with looking down your arm to aim no doubt).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

Dan,

I'm definitely a resting on my lap kind of guy. If it makes any difference, even when the sensor bar is below the TV (which it is) it still sits higher than my arm. I don't know if that matters or not. The laser pointer thing is a good idea. I may look into pricing some IR LEDs and just tape it up until my wife kills me.

She's not real big into the "I'm doing science" thing....
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200