Tri-format breakthrough?

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
deadly-app
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Tri-format breakthrough?

Post by deadly-app »

CHIP FIRM ULI claimed that its north bridge M1695 chipset will simultaneously support PCI Express X1, AGP 8X and the PCI graphics interfaces.

This feature, which the firm dubs TGI, will support socket 754, 940 and 939 CPUs and will work for notebooks, desktops, workstations and servers.

ULI claims that the M1695 also has a better Hypertransport tunnel architecture which integarates non blocking HT 2.0 links. This means that mobo manufacturers and system integrators can use the M1695 with other HT chipsets and bridge devices natively, or using the HTX connector.

That means, for example, that with the ULI M1567 south bridge, all three graphics interfaces can be integrated onto the same board. The Hypertransport links will run at 4GT/sec and baove, claims ULI. The M1695 has a bi-directional PCI Express X16 link. µ
Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22530

I'm very very skeptical about this, but if it is true, thats friggin amazing. Perfect for those who want to upgrade with an agp card and plan on buying a pci e in the future.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

the reall question is with all the attention going to the nForce4 chipset will this ever be found on enthusiest boards.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Nothing would make me happier to see ULi enter the enthusiast market.... but, realistically, I do not see this being an enthusiast-grade chipset... just merely a chipset that has the "tri-format" ability.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
zepper
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zepper »

There have been previews of the new ULi chipset on the OCWorkbench.com and the Anandtech.com sites. It looks to be more than real - easily the equal of the nF4 set and mui more flexible.
. I'll probably go with it for my first 64 bit system when I feel the need.

.bh.

Here, have a :drinkers: !
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

If ULi breaks out, then Intel will be pissed (note that it is 754, 939 and 940, no mention of 775) and AMD will rise with it...It's a good transition board. If one could only slave the AGP8x to the PCI-E and make them all work together *shakes head at impossibility*
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

I've been reading a lot about the uli1695 particularly the ASRock 939 Dual-SATA2. Anandtech.com did a performance test using that board with an APG card and another with PCIe and it performed as well and somtimes better than boards using NF4 chips and only having PCIe. This chip has great potential. A lot of companies have said they are planning to build board using this chip. I just ordered the ASRock board myself to try out. I've heard with the new BIOS update overclocking is better but still not at the level of DFi.

The reason I choose this board is because I have a nice 6800GT APG and I don't want to fork out another 400 for a new video card but I do want to upgrade to a 64 cpu. Now I can and still have the option to upgrade to PCIe at a later time without having to upgrade cpu and mb again.

WOW my first post!! :) I read the forum throughout the day but usually not fast enough to answer any questions before someone else already gives good advice.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

well welcome, for your first post its a good one!!! I really hope that a major mobo maker like DFI, ABIT, ASUS, EPOX come out with a performance board based on this chipset. My bigest problem is that the boards are from mfg's that i dont trust much.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

ASRock is a fairly low to mid-range company, but looks like they are stepping it up a bit................. :shock: Last I heard is that ASRock is a sub-division of ASUS...........could be wrong though.
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

ASRock is a division of Asus. From what I have read Asus, Gigabyte, and Chaintech are working with the chip now.