Startup Issue - Blinking Power LED

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Startup Issue - Blinking Power LED

Post by Major_A »

When I try to start one of my computers the fans spin up and the Power LED just flashes. Has anyone seen this or encountered this issue before? I am thinking it's the motherboard even though it's only a little over a month old. But it is a cheap/POS ECS board that was "free" with a Phenom I bought from Frys. I have ordered a new motherboard and cheap Antec power supply.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Startup Issue - Blinking Power LED

Post by DMB2000uk »

Tried the memory one stick at a time in different slots?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
sasamkd
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sasamkd »

Also not bad to try the drive cables and other cards inside. Plug in and out one buy one and see what is the problem.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The RAM is fine, I tested it first. The only thing connected internally to that box is an old IDE HDD. I am writing this post with a box I threw together last night with the same drive. So that only leaves three things, the power supply, motherboard or the processor itself. I honestly won't be too surprised if it is the CPU. Frys sale people processors that have no business building their own computers. The CPU I got with my combo was a return and the sales guy assured me they check returned CPUs thoroughly. I told him I didn't want to get home and find bent pins and he told me it wouldn't. Well he was full of s**t, seeing as the CPU had 3 bent pins that I had to fix. It looks like the numbnuts who tried to install it first didn't take off the thermal compound protection piece when he/she was trying to put the heatsink on. I guess I'll have a solid answer by mid next week. I tried to find an ATX PSU tester locally and failed so I just ordered the Antec Basiq 350W for little more than a tester ($20).
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

My vote is the CPU.

2 reasons ..
1) In light of your last post
2) Sounds like the board itself is alive because it's still smart enough to power the fans and give a blinking light.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Here's why I don't think it's the CPU:
After getting the PC put together I tortured the hell out of it to see that it was stable. The blinking light issue came about after I restarted the PC. I don't remember if this was before, during, or after our power conniption (basically our power kept cycling every two minutes or so for 30 minutes). I've had PSUs and motherboards go bad before but I've never seen this behavior... So maybe it is the CPU. I'm not too terribly worried about it since the box is a backup of a backup and the only time I use it is to surf the web or encode some video to leave my box open to do whatever it is I am doing.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Just an update...
It was either the power supply or the POS, I mean ECS motherboard. I installed the new PSU and mobo today and all seems well. I'm just glad that it wasn't the processor.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

you know, i really had to dig back in my memory to when i built my first computer, I got my cpu/motherboard as a deal form Fry's also..coincidentally it was an ECS board too..I'd say it was more the motherboard in ur case, but better to be safe than sorry(on buying the psu and mobo)..u never know with those Fry's parts
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Glad to here it wasn't the procesor. Though after seeing the bent pins I would have brought it back to fry's to exchange.
wollyka
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by wollyka »

i had the same problem a long time in one of my system, in my case it was the PSU who suddenly decided to not deliver enough power to start the CPU!
System:
-Intel Core 2Quad Q6600--ECS PN2 SLI2+ 680i-4GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 SLI-ready Edition-XFX Geforce GTX280--X-fi Fat1ality FPS-Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W PSU-LG Flatron L1710B
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

XstollieX wrote:Glad to here it wasn't the procesor. Though after seeing the bent pins I would have brought it back to fry's to exchange.
At the time I was working 7 days a week and didn't have the time to take it back. On top of that I'm lazy.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... =UTF8&z=10