Didnt Circuit City go bankrupt yet? - Yes, yes they did :p

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Didnt Circuit City go bankrupt yet?

Post by vicaphit »

Man did you miss out. Best Buy had the MX revolution at $40. I got mine on december 31st, but the deal is dead now.

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about19231.html
Last edited by vicaphit on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

The Circuit City in Springfield, MO has been closed/bankrupt for a long time now from a Customer Service standpoint. I showed them an item that online said was in stock, and 3 different people told me they didn't stock it. Had I been thinking, i'd have gone to a clients' house a couple miles away, ordered it for store pickup, and then when they couldn't find it took my $24 gift card and gone home to order it online.

Service here sucked, and at least 2 (not sure how many they have) of the managers were a-holes.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Service has always been lacking there for me. They are always around when you walk in to ask what they can help you with, but when you have picked out your LCD tv, they have all disapeared, and act too busy to answer any questions or get an item for you.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I had great service from 2 employees, 1 in particular, when i bought about $3k worth of stuff. One of the managers wasn't willing to deal with me at all, aside from the unspoken free TV stand, but the employee made a bit of an end around, went to a different manager and he was more than helpful. It's those rare few of the 34,000 people that I feel sorry that they have lost their jobs. The a-holes, like the managers that expect you to shop at their store, I hope they have their karma bill paid up on different customers.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Went to the local CC today, 10% off most stuff, some 20% off but to be honest, their prices are so high, this just makes the price of items comparable to what you can find online (just barely). No wonder they are closing their doors.
Joe
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I plan on going back in a month or so to find out if they have better discounts later. Though there probably won't be much left.
----
Andy

hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

skierkid450 wrote:kyle, that's a pretty sick story, i wish i could have something like that happen, all i do is find stray dollar bills here and there, like i found a $20 on top of a local mountain :mrgreen:
Lol I usually put checks in easter eggs in ridiculous places. Like a mountain top. A very hidden area in the everglades. In the ocean inside a balloon and tied to an anchor with 2 sets of 100lb braided fishing string. I've never had anyone find any of them. But, if they do that would be interesting.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Here's a link WHY 'going -ut-of-business' sales are a joke ... EVEN mentions Circuit City!

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/23/news/co ... /index.htm

"...Thousands of retail stores are expected to disappear in 2009. But most big chains don't run those out-of-business sales themselves - Linens 'N Things, Whitehall Jewelers and, most recently, Circuit City, all hired liquidation firms to handle the process for them.

The liquidator buys the merchant's inventory and sets final clearance sales. They guarantee the store's creditors a payment upfront, and need to sell enough merchandise to recoup money for themselves.

He said he and the other liquidators needed a "fairly sizeable" recovery in order to help Circuit City repay its creditors. ..."

Read the article, it will make everyone well aware of how these liquidators operate. You might get a deal, you might (more than likely) get scammed into paying more along with no warranty or return. Items are sold AS IS. And nothing can be returned. They also insert refurbished and open boxed stuff that the original company never sold. This way it's gone for good, Joe public gets sticked with the goods.

There is never a good sale of merchandise since other stores like Big Lots and the like will buy up the bulk inventory more so than a liquidator can sell to Joe public. These second hand stores will then make the minor profits.

In the end, the retailers make the money no matter what. Joe public never gets a true deep discount. :dunno:

Having on-line electronic stores like NewEgg and Directron helps. 8-[ However, there are jobs lost in the retail store chains for shopping on-line. If people did a balance of store shopping and on-line shopping, good deals can be had more often. That's why the late 1980's were popular in retail.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

I only shop online unless its food or clothes, however my local Circuit City was way more welcoming than Best Buy.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Didnt Circuit City go bankrupt yet? - Yes, yes they did :p

Post by vicaphit »

I always liked going to CC the day a game was released because the regularly had brand new games at $40 instead of $50.
----
Andy

Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

stev wrote:However, there are jobs lost in the retail store chains for shopping on-line. If people did a balance of store shopping and on-line shopping, good deals can be had more often. That's why the late 1980's were popular in retail.
That's always the problem when buying anything online. You send that X amount of money to some other state instead of supporting the local economy.

Personally I'd prefer to buy in a brick & mortar store for loads of reasons... always free shipping, no shipping damages, I know exactly what I'm getting, and if needed returns are easy. And I'm happy to support local jobs, economy, and municipal government. But I'm not going to pay a huge 25%+ markup ontop of sales taxes to do so.

And either way the point is moot: this is the 7th largest US city and we have no Frys, no CompUSA, and soon no Circuit Cities. A local Texas comp repair chain has made a killing expanding to fill the gaping hole here for a B&M computer store, but they still charge way to much. And the last time I visited their store (about a year ago I admit) they stil had Pentium 4's in their retail boxes on the shelf.
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
skier

Post by skier »

Kougar wrote:
stev wrote:However, there are jobs lost in the retail store chains for shopping on-line. If people did a balance of store shopping and on-line shopping, good deals can be had more often. That's why the late 1980's were popular in retail.
That's always the problem when buying anything online. You send that X amount of money to some other state instead of supporting the local economy.

Personally I'd prefer to buy in a brick & mortar store for loads of reasons... always free shipping, no shipping damages, I know exactly what I'm getting, and if needed returns are easy. And I'm happy to support local jobs, economy, and municipal government. But I'm not going to pay a huge 25%+ markup ontop of sales taxes to do so.

And either way the point is moot: this is the 7th largest US city and we have no Frys, no CompUSA, and soon no Circuit Cities. A local Texas comp repair chain has made a killing expanding to fill the gaping hole here for a B&M computer store, but they still charge way to much. And the last time I visited their store (about a year ago I admit) they stil had Pentium 4's in their retail boxes on the shelf.
well some people HAVE to buy online because there is NO electronic store anywhere near their town!
the closest Best buy: ~50min; circuit city:~55min; worst walmart i've ever seen:20 min; terrible radio shack(nothing made within 10 years basically):~25 min; never seen a frys, never seen a compUSA; closest thing to a computer store aside from best buy: none.

in a town only having a gas station and corner store for commerce, you can't promote local economy except by getting an italian or pizza

OR, if your on campus, a 15min drive on the interstate to get to the 2nd largest city(and mall district) in your state and don't have a car, you also can't buy locally.

I buy online.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I am in the same boat skierkid, CC was the ONLY electronics store within about 100 miles from my house. Newegg has been a godsend for me, because I can get my hardware in 2-4 days and not have to spend a bunch of money on gas.

I do buy my games all locally, and usually that is at wal-mart. This is only because online prices don't justify spending money on shipping, which games almost always have in addition to the price of the game.
----
Andy

skier

Post by skier »

yeah, in addition to online being FAR cheaper, you can get higher quality parts, and much more options, i mean, my alternative to newegg is a god aweful walmart, with only has A geforce 6600GT or ATI 3450($80 each), no power supplies, two monitors, no cases, one sound card, a $20 DVDR for $45, 1GB sticks of DDR2 667MHz ram for $70, no KVM switches(my most recent purchase on the egg) no mother boards, no CPUs, only 80 or 160GB IDE hard drives for double what they're worth, doesnt have many games, no card readers, no good mice, no good keyboards, no good headsets, no good mouse pads, no fans at all(case fans and the like), no internal cable converters(molex-SATA etc.)small capacity flash drives for more than they're worth, external CDR drives(not DVDR's)etc. etc. really makes me wanna hit up walmart over the egg :\
-Austin
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

only thing i really ever bought at CC was a headset and games. had i known about Newegg when i got the headset it wouldnt have even bought that.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Yeah, but in there defense it was cheaper to buy things like case accessories or odds & ends from Circuit City. Best Buy doesn't carry anything except some ultra-cheap dynex brand junk, CC at least carried Antec fans, mounting hardware, and some extra stuff that just isn't worth paying 2x to have shipped to you. I'd have been happier if BB was the one closing, not Circuit City. #-o
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
skier

Post by skier »

Kougar wrote:Yeah, but in there defense it was cheaper to buy things like case accessories or odds & ends from Circuit City. Best Buy doesn't carry anything except some ultra-cheap dynex brand junk, CC at least carried Antec fans, mounting hardware, and some extra stuff that just isn't worth paying 2x to have shipped to you. I'd have been happier if BB was the one closing, not Circuit City. #-o
i got my antec tricool fans from a bestbuy.....
-Austin
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

skierkid450 wrote:
Kougar wrote:i got my antec tricool fans from a bestbuy.....
i got my antec tricool fans from a bestbuy.....
Interesting. The three Best Buy stores I actually looked in only had Dynex brand sleeve fans. :?
Last edited by Kougar on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
x.clay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by x.clay »

I stopped by CC in Houston this weekend just to see if they had anything worth picking up. Their inventory is started to look a bit thin so I am guessing that store will be closing its doors pretty soon. I ended up with a cheap CD and some DVD-Rs and that was about it. Even with the 20%-30% off you could still probably find a better price online for most items.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
Mobo: Asus Z77 Gene
GPU: GTX 470
RAM: 2X4gb G.Skill 1600
OS SDD: Kingston 120 gb SSD
Game SSD: Kingston 128 gb SSD
Storage: Hitachi 1Tb, Intel 80 gb SSD
PSU: Corsair AX 850w
Case: Silverstone FT-03
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

x.clay wrote:I stopped by CC in Houston this weekend just to see if they had anything worth picking up. Their inventory is started to look a bit thin so I am guessing that store will be closing its doors pretty soon. I ended up with a cheap CD and some DVD-Rs and that was about it. Even with the 20%-30% off you could still probably find a better price online for most items.

Agreed with that statement.

Noticed the CD and DVD disc prices too. Compared them to Big Lots and BL beat CC's GOB sale!
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights