Intel 32nm Westmere Desktop Processor Roadmap Exposed

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel had a news briefing just moments ago in downtown in San Francisco that involved a processor roadmap update presented by VP Steve Smith and Senior Fellow Mark Bohr. The highlight of the meeting was the discussion about new milestones for the 32nm manufacturing and progress toward future products. If you don't know about the 32nm Westmere core or upcoming Lynnfield, Clarksfield, Clarkdale, Arrandale or Gulftown processors you need to read on.

The first Intel 32nm Westmere products will feature both a processor core and an integrated graphics & integrated memory controller on a single processor. What makes this design so interesting is that the processor core is 32nm and that the memory controller and integrated memory controller are on a separate 45nm die. Intel has perfected the 45nm process since they have been doing it so long they have made the gates inside the processor perform better. Since the integrated graphics and memory controller is located on a separate die it is rumored that you can adjust the power settings and clock frequencies better than on one die. Intel took their current 65nm integrated graphics technology and shrunk it down to 45nm and added all the performance tweaks to get even more performance...

Article Title: Intel 32nm Westmere Desktop Processor Roadmap Exposed
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/899/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel 32nm Westmere Desktop Processor Roadmap Exposed

Post by Bwall »

Exciting news. I just got my i7 920 but those 32nm processors are looking good, first silicon boots up an OS is really impressive!!

Intel is really on top of "tick tock", pulling 32nm in so far that they are going to cancel 45nm parts...wow!
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

So, is the tick-tock Intels way of saying AMDs time is numbered? :?
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
skier

Post by skier »

Intel's 45nm Havendale/Auburndale might not be produced since the 32nm is doing so well
is this a sign that intel doesnt think AMD is a competitor in the future? if they were a competitor, intel would be forced to continue rolling out new chips...

and 6 cores? i thought Intel was gonna go straight to 8, and be like normal people using powers of 2
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The 45nm Havendale/Auburndale were supposed to be 45nm chips that were the first to the first CPUs featuring Integrated Graphics... Since 32nm CPUs are coming along so nicely launching the 45nm parts would have overlapped the launch of the 32nm parts with Integrated Graphics. Since both were on the roadmap to come out around the same time Intel is considering terminating the Havendale/Auburndale parts. I honestly can't blame them for doing so with the way the economy is and if 32nm is as good as they are making it out to be it will be better this way anyway. A lower cost 32nm processor with better performance and lower power consumption sounds like the way to go!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Die shrinks are always good, keep up the pace Intel. AMD, keep Intel in check!
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

gwolfman wrote:Die shrinks are always good, keep up the pace Intel. AMD, keep Intel in check!
not neccessary true:). The Pentium 4 die shrink does not seem to help too much to its crappy design.

I am waiting for the 32nm processor to upgrade (or may simply skip the current gen and move to the next tick from intel, who knows).