how to get rid of aim junk pest?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
UpskirtHeaven
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by UpskirtHeaven »

someone download aim on my computer when i wasnt around. and he didnt uncheck the toolbar and other pest that came with it. now i get annoying pop ups from aim.

how to get rid of it? do i have to uninstall aim?

edit: i uninstall aim and reinstall. now no aim pest bugging.
Last edited by UpskirtHeaven on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: how to get rid of aim junk pest?

Post by werty316 »

Have you tried to remove it via the control panel?
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

What a pain AIM is. I agree, remove the AOL bloatware.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Check out Trillian. It's a unified messaging client. Supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, etc all in one client.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

www.meebo.com web based chat client with NO downloads at all. I've been using it for about a year. File transfer is a bit flaky, but I don't really file transfer much while using chat anyway... that's what FTP is for.

my Meebo consists of 2 (sometimes 3) AIM, 1 yahoo, 1 ICQ, 1 MSN. I've noticed that Facebook is also supported, though there are a few bugs with that, as well as MySpace, Google Talk, Jabber, Piczo and Flixster.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

i use pidgin. small download (for windows) it comes built in with a lot of modern linux distros, every im service ive ever heard of and then some supported
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

martini161 wrote:i use pidgin. small download (for windows) it comes built in with a lot of modern linux distros, every im service ive ever heard of and then some supported
How rescourse heavy? I'm assuming since it's in Linux distro's it's not very.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Pidgin is fairly lightweight, I use it myself and like it plenty. Sits around 20mb ram usage usually...