Unable To Connect To Internet Windows 7

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Unable To Connect To Internet Windows 7

Post by Sparky »

I'm not sure what happened but I have not been able to connect to the internet since last night using IE 8 in Windows 7 Beta. I've tried system restore but it says I don't have any restore points created. If I boot in to XP I can connect just fine.
Any ideas how to fix this or what I'm missing?
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Unable To Connect To Internet Windows 7

Post by XstollieX »

I would try reinstalling the drivers first
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

can you ping your internet gateway?
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I've tried the drivers for both the wireless and the on board connection and nothing.
I can't even see my Belkin wireless box to see settings. Again, strange becasue I'm typing this on the same machine but I booted in to XP in order to get on line.
I don't know what command to use to ping myself. Tried ping -? and got a list of options but don't know which one to use.
When I run ipconfig I get my address but also text saying
Tunnel adapter local area connection 9:
Media State.....= Media Disconnected.
Is this my problem?
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Give me some more details and I can help.

I don't know your experience with networking so bare with these basic questions

What is the driver status of the network adapters
What is the status of your network icon
Do you get an IP
Does it work if you give your network adapter a static ip
If have an dynamic IP can you ping the gateway
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Thanks for the help pwcmed .
Here's what I've done. Uninstalled drivers for both wired and wireless. Tried rebooting PC and router and modem. As I said, it connects fine under XP and did work unitl last night in Windows 7.
I can see an subnet mask, default gateway but not an IP address when I run ipconfig.
I'm not sure how to give my adapter a static tip. Googled it but not sure if I understand.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Type this in the windows search bar in the start menu, ncpa.cpl. This should bring up your network connections. Disable you wireless for now and try to get your onboard working. You shouldn't see a red x on it. If it does let me know disregard the following for now. Right click on it and click on status. Do you see any packed received or sent? Click on details and you should DCHP Enabled: Yes, IPV4 IP Address: Usually 192.168.X.X behind a home router. If see you see 169.x.x.x that means it could not get an ip and windows gave it an IP. If it does have a 169 IP you can give it a static IP by right clicking on the local area connection and clicking properties. Click continue on the UAC prompt. You should see a window with a bunch of check marks. Double click Internet protocol 4, you should get a new window were can put in an ip manually. You can get this info from another computer on the same network. Just press the windows key and R, then type cmd, then type in ipconfig /all. I am ASSuming that you do have connection just having trouble getting an ip.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I checked and here's what I got. It looks the same as my settings under XP so I stil can't figure this one out.
Last edited by Sparky on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

ping your gateway which is your router. Hit the windows and R key type cmd, then type ping 192.168.2.1. If that responds try ping http://www.google.com. If that responds then I bet something is not configured right with IE8

Edit: looks like you have a nice stang in your avatar. I'm about to drop in 4.10 gears in mine once I find a good shop to put them in.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Thanks again for all the help pwcmed.
I'll give it a try later, I'm frustrated with it right now, been trying repair install (failed) and everything else I can think of. Even scanned with NAV 09 & Avast. All clean.
Regards to the Mustang, thanks, that's my big toy. Original owner, 36k miles (a few 1/4 mile at a time!).
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Ok, I can ping myself but not pinghttp://www.google.com/ and Avast updates automatically but I can't manually update Avast or Windows update or go on line. Tried to reset my winsock address, rebooted, nothing.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

try pinging your gateway which from your last post is 192.168.2.1 and when you ping google just put www.google.com
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I was able to ping www.google.com no problem. Funny, ran the network diagnostic (again and again) and it said something about having a "DNS" problem.
When I run cmd line with "ipconfig" it reads: Media State: Media Disconnected & below that under Connection Specific DNS suffix it's blank.
I guess it has something to do with DNS but I need to google and read up on it as I don't know what this is.
Any help greatly appreciated.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

You can find out real quick if its a DNS issue. Ping google again and get the ip it responds with. Type that address in internet explorer with out www or the com, just the IP. If that works then your closer to your problem. All DNS does is give a name to a IP. So actually if you can ping www.google.com then DNS should be working. Try firefox and see what happens.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I was able to ping google but unable to get on line by entering the ip address I got from the ping.
But, I created a second account in Windows 7 and I can connect just fine. Perhaps I should just give up, delete my first and account and stay with the second one. May be less troublein the end! I just really wanted to know what the problem was so I could fix it and learn from it.
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Well, what about trying something simple like reinstalling IE8, or installing FireFox and seeing if that connects alright? Wouldn't be the first time IE didn't work but some other browser would. :lol:
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I tired to reinstall IE8, even changed it to Vista compatibility, but it said I had a newer version and wouldn't go. Firefox is a possibility or again, just delete my current account and use the one that seems to be connecting. Go figure.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Well I finally figured it out. I went in to Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and unchecked Automatically Detect Settings and I'm on line again using Windows 7 Beta and IE8.
I'm a Time Warner cable customer and they just announced they were hacked last week with a denial of service attack that some customers (including my neighbors) had been unable to connect or had lost connections. I wonder if that's what happened with me? I don't ever remember changing that particular setting.
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Sparky wrote:Well I finally figured it out. I went in to Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and unchecked Automatically Detect Settings and I'm on line again using Windows 7 Beta and IE8.
I'm a Time Warner cable customer and they just announced they were hacked last week with a denial of service attack that some customers (including my neighbors) had been unable to connect or had lost connections. I wonder if that's what happened with me? I don't ever remember changing that particular setting.
It's possible it was trying to automatically use a TWC provided DNS, one of those that was under DOS attack, but still if that was the case I would think the problem would only be intermittent. More than likely unchecking that setting just changed the DNS addresses used...

I use TWC myself and heard about that attack (affected those in Cali from what I recall), but didn't have any issues in Texas. I don't use IE though except for MS Technet use, everything else works in Opera or FF.
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water