watercooling prep

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: watercooling prep

Post by Bio-Hazard »

stopthekilling77 wrote:Well the DIY part of it isn't too scary aside from parts being expensive, but the problem here is that the standoffs are riveted to the block that fits my GPU. Only way I can see to fix this myself is to grind down the standoffs but I don't have the equipment to do it properly
One easy way to fix the problem is to remove the bracket from the block, then get yourself some medium grade sandpaper and find yourself a flat surface. Start sanding the standoffs all at the same time rotating the bracket a quarter turn at a time every few strokes. It would also be helpful to find yourself a good quality ruler to measure the standoffs and try to keep them as even as possible.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Bet that even the long process of sanding will still be much faster than waiting for swiftech to help me. Got a response from him and he told me that my thermal paste on my blurry picture was my GPU and that it was making perfect contact. I'm sending him a video now ;)
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It pays to take decent pictures it seems :P

Get a nice camera.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

stopthekilling77 wrote:Bet that even the long process of sanding will still be much faster than waiting for swiftech to help me. Got a response from him and he told me that my thermal paste on my blurry picture was my GPU and that it was making perfect contact. I'm sending him a video now ;)
Clean off all the paste, mount it and put something like a bright red shirt behind it. Then take a pic so the red shows through the gap so its more obvious it's not making contact.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Bio-Hazard wrote:
XstollieX wrote:
Bio-Hazard wrote:I normally go the extra measure and open up the blocks to ensure that there isn't any leftover metal filings inside, but that's just me.
Ever find any big chunks?
Yup, sure did, back when they first changed manufacturers during the first runs of the Swiftech APOGEE blocks.
Hmm maybe I should have pulled apart my new block for the I7
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

if you havent already mounted the rad, i use a slightly different method of flushing. first i run tap water through it for a while, to get big stuff out. then a little bit of distilled water right after. then filli t up about half-3/4 of the way full with a 50/50 vineger/distilled water mix and shake it about, then flush it out with distilled water for a while. using distilled water is better IMO than using bottled water as bottled water is filtered, but there is still some stuff left over in it. distilled water i pretty much gaurentenig your getting just water
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Works for me, I'm going to get some 250 grit sandpaper tonight and grind the standoffs down til it makes perfect contact. The only thing I'm wondering as far as the mounting is how far down I should go so the copper isn't crushing the GPU. I'll be up and running tomorrow if everything goes right :drinkers:
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

You'll have to take it down far enough so that there's a little day light between the stand-off and the card after the block makes full contact with the GPU core. The rubber on the water block back plate will then apply the required pressure on the core when the screws are tighten down. You should do a few different test installs to ensure that you are getting a full even contact patch on the thermal past.