Project Log: The way a Cavalier 3 Should Be! (56k beware!)

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Project Log: The way a Cavalier 3 Should Be! (56k beware!)

Post by gvblake22 »

Ok, I have recently upgraded my crap modded case to a Cooler Master Cavalier 3 SEEN HERE

I'm not gonna list all my mods right now because there are a lot and I'm still not sure if all will become a reality so that's why this is a running thread that I will update as each new mod has been started or completed.
Ok, well let's kick this biotch off!! :ANAL:
First task was to strip this thing of all its cloths and dignity! HAHA
Last edited by gvblake22 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Ok, I decided I wanted to divide the cooling of this case into two sections. The top being the "CPU/RAM/Motherboard Section" and the bottom being the "HDD/VGA cooling section".

So once I figured out how I wanted to cool this bad boy, it's on to the prototype/construction phase...
I started little and decided to try making the dual 40mm fan bracket. I found a roll of aluminum and decided it would work great for what I had in mind, here's how it turned out so far (no fans yet of course though):
The fans will go in the square areas outlined in pencil (kinda hard to see)

Here's the vent under attack. The holes will all be dremeled out so it is open/empty:
Here's what it should kinda look like. The bracket will be between the two 40mm fans and the back of the case (so the fans will be inside the case):

Not quite sure how I will secure the bracket. It actually self press fits in there pretty well so I may just try that to begin with and if it doesn't work out I will see about some adhesive of some kind to hold it in place.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I'd probably have that top fan blowing up and out.....hot air rises, and you be fighting yourself there. What you might consider is a side panel fan blowing on the key components, a front fan blowing over the HDDs, and the top and rear fans sucking hot air out
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:I'd probably have that top fan blowing up and out.....hot air rises, and you be fighting yourself there. What you might consider is a side panel fan blowing on the key components, a front fan blowing over the HDDs, and the top and rear fans sucking hot air out
Well, ironically, that's exactly what I was trying to avoid :?
I didn't want to to go with the side panel fans in an attempt to reduce noise. My computer sits right next to me on my right side so the side panel fans are practically right in my ear and also let noise from inside the case escape right toward me. Plus I figured that it is a small enough space that the heat rising issue isn't gonna be very bad. If you think about it, there is a 120mm fan in my PSU and then there will be that other 120mm fan right next to it and right next to that will be the optical drives (and I'm not too worried about the optical drives overheating).
So I figured there would be enough air circulation thanks to the 120mm fans that stagnant heat rising would not be a problem as it is constantly being circulated and eventually exhausted out the back.
Still bad logic? :cry:

The other reason I had it as an intake is because if it were exhaust, there would be high negative pressure due to the lack on intake fans (only the front 80mm with poor, indirect airflow) and the exhaust fans will just be pulling air in from every crack possible and cooling and air circulation won't be very regulated/controlled.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

well, to be honest, that top 120 is going to be fighting rising air, so whatever cooling effect it should/could provide will probably be negated. As to negative airflow, there is more than enough slots and holes in front of that case, that you won't have any problems.
A quiet fan like one of those AcoustiFan 120mm will hardly be noticable.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:well, to be honest, that top 120 is going to be fighting rising air, so whatever cooling effect it should/could provide will probably be negated. As to negative airflow, there is more than enough slots and holes in front of that case, that you won't have any problems.
A quiet fan like one of those AcoustiFan 120mm will hardly be noticable.
Wow, you really think that air inside such a small space will rise quickly enough and with enough force to negate the power of a 120mm fan?!
I guess I can always try it both ways and see which works better and if I find I need to put in a side panel fan, I can always do that later :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I just think the combination of hot air rising and the dynamics of most cases are going to make the fan work harder, which will lessen its efficiency as well as cause it to generate more noise.
Last edited by LVCapo on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

As a general rule top exhaust fans (like Capper says) work much better to cool your case and system, trying it both ways should prove this. You would be much better off modding the front fan to a 120mm intake like on the newer Cooler Masters............. :shock:

http://www.systemcooling.com/cm_centurion_530-01.html
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Yeah, I really wanted to make that front intake a 120mm but I just don't think it's gonna happen, there's really not enough room. I also thought about just putting it behind three empty 5 1/4" drive bays but I will probably have hardware in all of the drive bays, plus there is a door over it so it wouldn't get much (if anything) in the way of air flow.

I'll try it both ways and see how it works. I just figured it would be best to try and have as much intake as exhaust to keep good/constant airflow.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Ok, here is a preliminary sketch of the side window. Like? No Like?
(The gray X's are the drive bay areas)
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

dude, who cares if we dont like it? do what you think looks sweet.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

audiophile wrote:dude, who cares if we dont like it? do what you think looks sweet.
HAHA, yeah very true. I was just curious as to what other people thought of my ideas. I'm sure I'll just do it all the way I want to anyway :finga:
hahaha
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Sweet....that's all I gotta say; I would pop some Lexan in that bad boy rather than plexiglass, unless you just have a preference (God knows I do, lol). Can't wait to see the mod for myself :)
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

yeah, i'm excited to see the final product. it looks sweet, dude :) keep us updated...
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Well, after many, many, MANY hours of masking and measuring, and re-measuring, I have managed to finally mask off the designs and lines to cut!

I made sure that I could fit in a 120mm fan in the top window section as well as an 80mm fan in the bottom window section if I decided later on that I needed more cooling:

The top 120mm fan:

An angle view from the top:

Can you guess what these holes will be for? I just hope I won't need those standoff holes in the future!:shock: :

And of course, I had to have my mascott with me all the way!:

Overall it was a long day of measuring and making mistake after mistake. I also found out how tricky it is to try and draw circles or arcs without a compas or protractor :rolleyes:
I'm gonna try and see if I can dremel all of this out tonight, but it might not happen until tomorrow; so stay tuned! :)
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Finally got most of the dremel work done! That was a long process!!!

Still have to file it all down so more updates to come :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

WOW that looks good, i just got done doing my case for Quakecon weds before we left at 9am :) and i was amazed at how long it took for me to cut.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

ahh, so you did end up trying to mod the front intake vent for a 120mm fan? sweeeet, and the curves are soooo smooth!!! Excellent job so far blake :)
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

killswitch83 wrote:ahh, so you did end up trying to mod the front intake vent for a 120mm fan? sweeeet, and the curves are soooo smooth!!! Excellent job so far blake :)
No, I'm not gonna go for a 120mm in the front. Believe me, I looked it over and over and over again trying to figure out a way but it is prettymuch impossible witout cutting the HDD cage :( So I just took out the restrictive grill thing and I'll probably open it up a little more still, but it will still only be an 80mm fan in there :(

Up today I will work on that 40mm fan bracket, open up the front 80mm intake more on both the case frame and in the bottom of the front bezel, file everything down nice and smooth, and then hopefully still have time to install the window on the side panel :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really do appreciate it! :drinkers:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Well, it would seem you're getting pretty close to being done here. I can't wait to see the finished product! Happy modding :)