<3 Western Digital!!!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

<3 Western Digital!!!

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

People always ask me why I am a western digital fanboy and always choose thier drives over the competition....

Sadly my Western Digital Raptor X took a dive a couple days ago. After running the Lifeguard software, it was found to have too many bad sectors. Luckily I was able to retrieve all the data off the drive (ONLY IN LINUX THOUGH) windows wouldnt see the drive. The drive was only a couple of years old, so it was still under warranty. I went to WD's web site to do the RMA process, saw they offered a service to send a replacement drive first with a pre-paid shipping label to send the drive back. Of course you had to give them a CC # to insure that you will send the drive back, but once received all funds will be given back. Essentially a FREE SERVICE.

On the other hand, Kristins 500GB Seagate died a few months back and we have just been lazy in getting it RMAed. Well I decided to go ahead and take care of that since I was working on my drive. Seagate offers the same service but....... for $20 PLUS TAX!!! WTF!! Both drives, still in warranty, seagate for the same service costs money. Sure they have a free service where you have to ship it your self and make sure its packed by thier seemingly strict packing policy. UHG!!

Oh well, Western Digital... I LOVE YOU!!! LOL :finga:
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: <3 Western Digital!!!

Post by Sporg »

Good to hear about the service with WD. I've always thought their drives rattle the best :mrgreen:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Glad you have had good experiences with WD. I on the other hand have had more WD drives give me the click of death than any other manufacturer. At this point if I'm buying a drive it's Samsung, they are quiet and run much cooler than any other drive I've ever used. This is also based on SMART readings so I hope they are accurate. The WD drive in my HTPC has run in the upper 50s since day one. I contacted WD and they told me it was fine, but I beg to differ.
skier

Post by skier »

my drives generally run in upper 30's, well, i havnt checked the Raptor since i got it tho, but i've never had a Hard drive fail that was bigger than 2GB(a 380MB and 1250MB hard drive each had bad formats, and got tons of bad sectors from it, but that was in a win '95 pc with a Pentium S 133MHz)

250GB seagate Barracuda works great
74GB WD Raptor works great
80GB WD...drive works great
20GB Maxtor 5400 RPM works great (was in a win '98, now just unused)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

Had a Raptor 150 which had some strange power issues. That is, if the Raptor was connected to the power supply, the computer would not shut down. If you turned it off, it would turn on about 30 seconds later even though all the lights and fans had quieted. Got that one RMAed. Got a bad drive off eBay and they even RMAed that one for nothing.

WD FTW.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

When I buy a drive, it's typically a Seagate as I have had the best luck with them.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Even better, They could have sent me another windowed Raptor X, or even the same model without the window. If they weren't in stock they could have waited longer to send me one. Instead, with them being the super awesome company they are went ahead and sent me the VelociRaptor!!!! Its the 150gb version of course, but OMG!! I cant wait to get home and install it!!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

You love them, and they love you. Actually I love companies who go the extra mile to help out the customer. Cooler Master hooked me up the other day with a new V10. Sent it overnight too(tho it was the next state over but still). I'm glad they helped ya out. Sucks having a drive go bad.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I've never had a drive go bad on me (most are Seagate), but I do have one that makes a whining noise, and of course, its a WD. :mrgreen:

The drive works fine, but the constant, high-pitched whining (yes, even when the drive is idle it whines) is almost intolerable. I just use it as a test drive or to transfer data to during formats.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

HOLY CRAP!!! This thing is fast!! Its flying through windows, loading games noticeably much faster!! I will check it out more in the coming days. Tis late now.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Just had a WD 160Gb die on me this weekend. :(

Too bad it wasn't still under warranty. The Dell GX-280 will have to wait for a donor from someplace.

Glad to hear of your success with WD. =D>

I was once a fanboy of WD since 1985 until 2003. From that last point in time, my WDs were dying all too often. Seagate at the time wasn't all that impressive either until they got a few bugs worked out and acquired a few of the other not so famous drive companies for those pieces of technology.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights