Captain tried to escape pirates, U.S. official says

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Captain tried to escape pirates, U.S. official says

Post by Apoptosis »

This news story makes me sick - http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04 ... index.html

Could you imagine being held at gun point by pirates in a 28 foot long life raft and seeing a US destroyer sitting there just watching?

So, now the captain makes a break for it and jumps out of the boat and tries to swim back to his countries ship only to be re-captured... Now Obama sends in the FBI to negotiate a deal and has sent more U.S. warships to the area... Why in the world are we talking with these people to secure Phillips' release?

This is an epic fail on Obama! When the US citizen jumped into international waters and tried swimming to the US naval ship for safety we should have helped. A couple snipers could easily peg off his for guards when he jumped and made a break for it.

I don't know about you guys, but this is the first pirate attack on a US ship since Thomas Jefferson was in office and I don't think we took the right action here... Sending in the FBI to talk with the pirates is stupid... A bunch of snipers or a Navy seal night assault is what was in order. I promise the next time a ship with a US flag on it went by they'd wait till the next ship.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Captain tried to escape pirates, U.S. official says

Post by Sowser »

I agree with the Navy Seals plan but snipers would be very hard pressed to make a clean shot between two ships bobbing in the water. It is absurd that as soon as that guy hit the water there wasn't a fleet of speedboats rushing towards him. What the hell good are more ships going to do out there? (Obama has ordered more ships in for reenforcement) One U.S. destroyer can take out the entire Somali pirate force. This is the Obama kindergarden policy, use your words. N. Korea, Iran, China, are all watching how this plays out to gauge the iron of the knew administration; unfortunatly it's coming off as scroteless. :evil:
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

thing is destroyers arent very well suited for that. for that you need assult craft but i dont beleive speed boats can be launched directly from destroyers (least not the arly burkes) need a small scale marine carrier
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I sure hope the guy returns safely but I think the US dropped the ball on this one. Snipers should've and could've got them..Not hard to do when they're in the water. Not easy either I'm sure, but not harder than hitting a target that's running
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

A couple Zodiac's is all that's needed to resolve this. Why do we have all this Navy hardware if we lack the tenacity to use it?

I was under the impression that the US didn't negotiate with terrorists.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

CNN said they are not terrorists they are pirates.... Also the government is helping make a deal with the shipping company and the pirates, not the US and the pirates... It's a political mess if you ask me... If someone is holding me against my will and I try to make a break for a US ship and no one helps me my hopes would be crushed... Glad to know the US fully backs me when I leave the country for a trip or vacation...
Follow Me on Twitter!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

i just read and seen video about the 28' boat they are on. It is totally enclosed and the only time they go out is to go to the bathroom. So getting a sniper shot is unlikely and the US ship is several hundred yards away so as not to cause any harm to the Captain. Several ships are heading to this spot, both Pirate ships and Rescue ships! The pirates are trying to get to Somali so they can hide the Captain and negotiate a ransom!
This situation sucks to say the least!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

ok, im abit ticked about everyone getting on the navys ass for this:
1. its a destroyer. not design for this stuff
2. Were they expecting him to make a run for it?
3. Like i said, this is a destroyer. they dont carry snipers on board
4. Thats one hell of a shot to make even if there were snipers
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

martini161 wrote:ok, im abit ticked about everyone getting on the navys ass for this:
My post was not for getting on the Navy's Arse! It was to point out that any attempt to resolve this with force, was and is going to be difficultat best, snipers or not! At this point the military's hands are tied!

Sorry if it came across that way!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I'm sure Marty's post wasn't directed at you camaro 8)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

DMB2000uk wrote:I'm sure Marty's post wasn't directed at you camaro 8)

Dan
Now that I go back and reread the posts I believe you're right!
I feel for the Captain and his family, if this is not handled right the outcome will not be in their favor :(

Corsair 4000D Airflow
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Skippman wrote:A couple Zodiac's is all that's needed to resolve this. Why do we have all this Navy hardware if we lack the tenacity to use it?

I was under the impression that the US didn't negotiate with terrorists.
were not negotiating. the destroyer is there jsut to make sure the pirates dont try anything stupid. any negotiations going on are between the company and the pirates
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Sowser wrote:I agree with the Navy Seals plan but snipers would be very hard pressed to make a clean shot between two ships bobbing in the water. It is absurd that as soon as that guy hit the water there wasn't a fleet of speedboats rushing towards him. What the hell good are more ships going to do out there? (Obama has ordered more ships in for reenforcement) One U.S. destroyer can take out the entire Somali pirate force. This is the Obama kindergarden policy, use your words. N. Korea, Iran, China, are all watching how this plays out to gauge the iron of the knew administration; unfortunatly it's coming off as scroteless. :evil:

They are 200 yards apart, that is child's play for most snipers. I was listening to a guy who was an ex-Green Beret sniper on the radio and he said he used to hit targets from a moving helo 50% of the time and could always miss non-OPFOR targets.

I don't understand why they didn't light that boat up the minute that guy jumped in the water.

John Paul Jones would be embarrassed of his ancestors.

Since Piracy is an act against humanity, they historically have gotten no civil rights. Same standard has been held to pirate havens, since they are willing accomplices who encourage piracy. I'd find out what port the pirates came from and tell them, "You have 1 hour to decide to give him up, or else we are going to start sending B-52s to carpet bomb your village. In the mean time, we will have F-18s hitting every other pirate port along the coast.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

After a swift firefight Capt. Richard Phillips has been freed and 3 of the 4 Pirates have been killed!
The 4th is in custody!
IMHO....A proper ending!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Yes! the Seals come through.....

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Wow, nice job guys! I've shot a sniper riffle and while they are VERY easy to use (I scored 5 perfect head shots from 75 yards away with absolutly no training) it must take some real training and talent to make the coordinated shots the SEALs made. I'm very happy for the family that it ended the way it did.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

martini161 wrote:ok, im abit ticked about everyone getting on the navys ass for this:
1. You are right.
2. Ever hear of keeping a watch? The Marines on those ships should have lit the liftboat up the minute he hit the water. If a Marine can't keep their fire under control into a 28 foot boat from 200 yards, they have no business being a Marine.
3. There was no confirmation that there were or there were not snipers on board at the time (I tend to think there were knowing that 3 hours after Beruit Bombing a friend of mine was flying over there as a shooter.) but there were Marines on board at the time of his attempted escape.
4. At 200 meters? Not really. The shot would be no more than off by 1 inch from the rocking of the ship. I have seen said above shooter hit a playing card at 600 meters leaning on an unstable folding table.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... ost2707310

This guy has had a book written about his time in the military. In the 80s and early 90s, he was the go to guy.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Destroyers aren't going to bob much in the water unless those are some choppy seas.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Sowser wrote:Wow, nice job guys! I've shot a sniper riffle and while they are VERY easy to use (I scored 5 perfect head shots from 75 yards away with absolutly no training) it must take some real training and talent to make the coordinated shots the SEALs made. I'm very happy for the family that it ended the way it did.
I can't believe they pulled it off... I saw one news agency said it was 3 shots and 3 kills, but I haven't heard that on the news... If that is true that is very impressive... Good job to the seals and to Obama for giving the okay to take them out if the need was present.
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Yea CBS said only 3 shots were used. I'm glad the Captain is safe. I do have to admit that once I read the news on the shootout, the first thing that came to my head was " BOOM!! HEADSHOT!!! " . <---only because that is what it was, and that at one point we have to gloat the SEALs for doing their job swiftly and effectively(not gloat but you know what I mean, couldn't think of the right word) . . I do think there was a bit of lolly-gagging but I guess that's Diplomacy for ya
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro