Americans told to wear masks as swine flu spreads

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Americans told to wear masks as swine flu spreads

Post by Apoptosis »

Thought this was interesting:
North of the border, in the US, doctors were advising people worried about the illness to buy painters’ masks from DIY stores as a precautionary measure. Authorities across the globe were torn between the imperative of slowing the spread of a potential flu pandemic and the need to avoid bringing every big city to a grinding halt.
Source

I wonder how bad this is going to get.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Americans told to wear masks as swine flu spreads

Post by Skippman »

I hope not bad at all. While the CDC is VERY VERY good at what it does historically speaking American towns have been ill equiped to deal with natural disasters let alone a pandemic.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Oh God...what a media frenzy this is. Granted, it's something we should keep an eye on but people are becoming terrified to leave their houses when the US authorities admit that: A) the US cases reported were mild and no deaths have occurred B) They have no details on the Mexican deaths - not age, not health, not access to proper health care, nothing. For all we know the people who died were already in poor health, didn't visit a doctor and were elderly or very young. The regular flu can be deadly if you are already in a fragile state.

Live more worry less!
Joe
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

This reminds me of that Dustin Hoffman movie " Outbreak"...cept this time it wasn't a monkey...
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Maybe it'll get us all like the bird flu did.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

The bird flu had nothing on the devastating effects of the HIV. Remember how that was going to wipe out most of the world's population?

Obviously anything left unchecked is bad. Oh yeah, and KS is on the list. :mrgreen:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I don't get why the whole country is making such a big deal, the swine flu has symptoms that mirror the regular flu and the death rates are actually lower. The suggestion to wear masks when there is an outbreak is the same one they give during the normal flu season, it's only because this has been sensationalised by every news channel out there that people are paying attention.

Guess it was a slow news day now that they can't make inane jokes about the teabaggers so someone decide 'lets incite mass panic'. Damn sheeple ](*,)

</rant>
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Its not just the country, :drinkers: the WHO raised to Phase 5 (Pandemic) today.....
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

The Swine Flu originated from H1N1, just like the Spanish Flu and it's spreading pretty quickly all around the world. Sure it's a flu, but to infect this many people in such a short time is a thing to worry about. Of course, there's also the fact that there may have been some earlier cases of Swine Flu in Mexico which we didn't know bout, hence the reason why it's spreading so quickly.

I believe the WHO did the right thing in raise it to Level 5.

I wonder if this will be the next SARS....
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Given the seriousness of this infection, one of the guys I work with discovered the source of the swine flu with intense research and investigation!
swineflu.jpg
swineflu.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
I guess I'm just not impressed with the number of infected cases to warrant a panic by news agencies and the WHO. If we were talking thousands with a 10%+ mortality rate, then I'd consider all the hype justified.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Apoptosis wrote:Thought this was interesting:
North of the border, in the US, doctors were advising people worried about the illness to buy painters’ masks from DIY stores as a precautionary measure. Authorities across the globe were torn between the imperative of slowing the spread of a potential flu pandemic and the need to avoid bringing every big city to a grinding halt.
Source

I wonder how bad this is going to get.
At least you don't live in New New Mexico, aka Texas.